Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Afraid that the combat system might get ditched

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I disagree. I found that in R8 the deck system worked great. Not only did I have all the skills I needed I usually had more than enough. It is just the fact that I can no longer manipulate my deck as I could in R8 that bothers me now. R8 was a more dynamic system. I believe the system works when it functions like it did in R8 without the discard cooldown.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

I Love it, I Hate, my PROBLEM is that I don't take "i'm not good at it" very well....
    Don't change because of me, we can adapt.
    I would like some good ideas on "hey this was a good set-up" or don't bother with this {tactics} something like that when your in mage mode...
    is all i'm saying

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

You may always put several fixed glyphs to support your tactics. They take 50% more "focus" but you can use them in a right moment.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

honestly I hope the devs take a good look at the feeback and adapt the system a bit too. If the game were released today I would adapt by never participating in PvP, In fact I might not participate at all. That's how bad my experience was. That's not being overly dramatic. I was really that frustrated at some of the changes and the way some of the new features appeared to me.

Thankfully this is a work in progress. Should we all just shut up and adapt, or should we give honest feedback?

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That's a great point, but why are they building a system that only half of the player base is going to use? As it stands the heavy armor people are not just encouraged, they are forced to lock skills in due to slugs. They are being forced not to use the card system they are developing. Does that make sense to you? I thought it would be optional to use the more traditional system. The locked cards cannot form combos. So something is wrong with people being encouraged to not use the deck system. If anything it should be the other way around.

The live dev chat resolved this issue for me. I think it will be fine.

Kal_Alyenare, Time Lord and AdamZax like this.
  6. Borg

Borg Avatar

Mindfulness: (Innate) Decreases Focus cost of your locked glyphs up to 25%

Expending some points in Focus is a must for Locked Decks.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

This is just balance. We need to get used to that.
    I played R9 in heavy armor and had 66% of glyph failures but I was more effective in caves and sewers (close combat) than many light armored archers and mages. I used perks to level up my melee fighting abilities and strength and removed excessive slugs with perks from "focus" tree. I don't understand why people complain.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

No, really the point I was making was, why are heavy armored people being forced to NOT use the card system? They are developing this great deck system, but heavy armored people are forced to lock some cards and not get the full features others have.

I thought the concept was that the locked cards would be optional. As it stands it is not really optional if you want to be effective. That's the point I'm making.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. RancidRat

RancidRat Avatar

I'm really undecided about this card system. I didn't play R8 but played around with R9 for an hour or so. The first thing I noticed, as other posters have already mentioned, is that your attention is drawn down to the glyphs. Maybe with experience as the player recognises the glyphs more easily this will become less of a problem. However, what if it doesn't? Secondly when I saw a glyph disappearing I had a compulsion to click on it! I didn't want to lose the opportunity to use it. Maybe that's just me though?! Thirdly, when I logged in setting up a deck was a chore. Also whenever I set up a deck I will always be doubting myself that I am setting it up the best I can. A previous poster made an excellent point about how do you know at level 1 that you are allocating points in a way that you will want later on. Whilst I don't mind rewarding people who experiment with setting up their own decks I hope that a decent deck can be set up with little hassle for the village idiot, like me, who just wants to play and not think too much. I'm not writing the system off just yet but it still has to prove itself to me first.

Shadoweaver and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  10. Womby

Womby Avatar

I can't comment on the use of the current deck for PVP, but I managed to accumulate considerable wealth looted from NPC creatures using a fixed deck.

11. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

Yes, it's so inconvenient now because it's not balanced well. But it's just alpha and I hope at the end we will find consensus.
    As I understand, heavy armor bears a lot of penalties for deck. But it's compensated with almost invulnerability to damage made by low-level enemies. In severs I was able to withstand 3-4 skeletons at once, but mages and archers was running away from even a coupule of them. However, ranged combat player will for sure beat my heavy melee fighter in open field.

12. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Well said, I like the idea that we're going to arrive in N.B. weak and ineffective and through effort, training and adventuring build our Avatars into something powerful and defined by the skills we've chosen.

13. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

This is the thing... there's going to be situations where different skills are more effective. Out on an open plain you would expect an archer/ranged mage to do well but in a castle/dungeon/smaller area the melee fighters are going to reign supreme.

Jynx and Time Lord like this.
  14. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

I like the system because i think it will, hopefully, allow a nice variety of play (however, i do fear that even with this new system - eventually, once peeps learn it they will still focus on those certain builds that work best for what they're doing - and end up using them exclusively).

That said -- I really didn't like the long cool downs on the glyphs this time around - it's especially noticeable when you're using locked glyphs (melee, hvy armor).

Can't wait to see some of the new spells 'n abilities coming down the road!

Sophi

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Well in your previous post said you can't understand why people complain. We are giving feedback. I am not a dev. I do not know what the devs have in their minds. If I am concerned about how something feels now I need to voice that or forever hold my peace and hope it just all works out.

I have been proven wrong before. I was really skeptical about the deck system before R8, but I really enjoyed it in R8, but now in this release I see the beginnings of some of my earlier fears being made manifest. So that is why people are posting negative feedback.

If we give negative feedback we ought to also give a solution as to what might need to be changed. I've tired to do that as best I can. I hope the game succeeds. So the negative feedback isn't a complaint and negative in nature. The negative criticism is meant to give them helpful feedback, because I'm really concerned about some of the changes.

16. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

I trust that RG will polish everything and at the end we will have amazing intellectual combat system based on deck/glyphs that everybody will like.

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Oh well then I guess there is no point to even comment in here then. See you when the game is released. Bye. lol

18. Chuubu

Chuubu Avatar

Personally, I like the randomness of the deck system. I played WOW for many years and finally got tired of the cookie cutter specs. If you want to have a /faceroll macro to fight with, go play WOW

19. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

That is a false logism.

Do you innovate a new cup? or just iterate it since it already provides all the functionality you need to get liquid into your mouth?

Iteration != innovation.

This system is not innovative, as was pointed out when it was first announced. It takes elements, and core mechanics, from a number of games. Ergo, it is not innovation here.

It is iteration. But is it a "good" iteration?

It is very complex, currently. I would say that is a high entry bar for people who just want to have fun, playing how they "want" to play as is sold to them.

It kind of resembles a Rube Goldberg device when all I want to do is feel like I am doing more than hunt the wumpus or skip the slug looking for skills I already know how to do, but dont. o_O

Shadoweaver and Sir Asguard like this.
  20. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

You ever try Path of Exile?

That game also has 1234567890 key presses.

Are they the same? No, cause you can make skill chains, and level up certain skills, etc... IOW, it is never a faceroll event.

Of course, the entire idea is about spamming attacks, so that aspect is a bad example, but it is a good example of being able to build skill trees and chains + equipment == unique.

As for the entire mechanic of "fog of war", this is a bad representation really. You don't forget your skills in battle.

This is an attempt to bring attacks of opportunity to the forefront. Great.

Well, how is it better that I got the card 3s in versus 10s in? What made it an attack of opportunity? Nothing more than a random roll of the die.

That is not innovative or iterative. That is the cheap way out to simulate something extremely complex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.