Explorer + Holdfast or Knight Pledge?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Falstaff, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falstaff

Falstaff Avatar

I am stuck at to what to get. I really like the idea of Explorer + Holdfast. but the large rent free house and plot, the commission free vendor with the pledge are also nice

Anyone else have the dilema?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Apollyon9515

Apollyon9515 Avatar

I have similar issues. Some days I want to upgrade to a baron and the next day I want to stay at a low level until things come out hah.

I am with you I'm debating between lord and lord marshal but a lower pledge with a small town for my buddies would be cool.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

The Explorer pledge doesn't come with a tax-free lot, so in order to place a house in your holdfast you would need to pick one of the following options:

1) Increase pledge to Ancestor
    2) purchase a lot from the add-on store (which will be taxed in game). This also needs a house to go on it (iirc).
    3) purchase a lot / house in-game and then place within your holdfast.

This is basically true for all players. I think it makes sense to have a tax-free lot to go with that holdfast, so I'd lean towards option 1. If you would enjoy organizing a player run town and think you can get people to live here then go for it. Helps if you have friends that can join you.

Knight is one of the most popular pledge levels. It is definitely worth considering.

RDouglas and mbomber like this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I don't see how that specific choice woud be a dilemma?
    It depends on your playing style - if you will be playing with a group of friends and lots of RP and have lots of time to spend interacting with people then you should get what jatvardur is talking about, homestead + ancestor ($1025), you will become the center of attention, you don't need to pay tax or rent. And if you are a good hustler/sweettalker you will get ingame rent from occupants. If you are nice and sweet and active you could even get store credit as well and get some perks that way.
    But if you are going PvP or lots of adventures, without an overload of connecting with people, or if you are not good with drama which is inevitable when owning land where others will stay, and you are only looking for "a large rent&tax free house, plot and vendor" then it is really Citizen ($550) you want, plus some add-on swag, like a ($50) house and a ($37) basement for only ($660) well at least if you are not specificly in for some shining sword that will collect dust on your mantlepiece. Then be early for house selection or talk your way into a guild town.

But if you don't mind the money and want it all then why not get it all with Citizen, plot+house+vendor and a Homestead with friends+drama, for only ($1300) :eek: that is only 30% above option A and only some 130% above option B. It's almost a steal.... ;)

XX

Margard likes this.
  5. Margard

Margard Avatar

Great advice

RDouglas likes this.
  6. Falstaff

Falstaff Avatar

On second thought, the headaches from owning a town don't sound like fun. Knight lvl pledge for me :)

7. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

It's hard to value a rent-free home, when we don't know how much rent will be. Same issue with concession-free vendors.

I have an Ancestor pledge, so a rent-free two-story row house. As low as you can go.

What seems clear, is that there will be plenty of housing for everyone. Question is, what are the advantages of:

1) placing in the best spots before the masses start playing the game
    2) placing a rent-free house vs. a house that must pay rent

Very hard to determine, in my opinion. But I made a pledge anyway. Why not.

Jatvardur and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

1 - location location location, for most people this will hardly matter and I think that we will see much more migration than the devs expect - as in people shifting their home to wherever is closer to their current fancy, be it quest or friends. However if you intend on crafting and trading, then you really need to pay attention to house placement since it determines your potential market. Trying to sell something from the backside of a non-attractive site is doomed.
    Then you have the crowd that want to be close to someone else, then being early means you can be neighbours.
    Now if you don't care you could still end up making an ingame trade if you take an early good-lot and trade it away. You can see several people in the forums thinking about this.
    2 - the biggest advantage isn't the gold itself but that it means that you will keep your lot for longer even if you have a life elsewhere. Say you plunked down your home right next to where your friends are. Then real life catches up with you and you are gone 2 months. If you aren't rent free then when you pop back in; your house will be in your inventory and the lot might be taken by someone else.
    This is especially true if you play casually enough to maybe not earn enough gold to pay that rent every month.
    But if you are rentfree it is enough that you pop in every now and then so that your account is "active" and your house will stay on that lot.

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

(sorry about double posting)

So if your only interest is RP and not actually earning any in game revenue one way or the other - but you still want to "live" somewhere then you'd need to be rentfree.

Given all that if you are very active player the rentfree will be kinda moot since its only a gold sink anyway. Then you will see a lot of trading of rentfree vs normal+something extra - when people realise they don't need their exclusive rentfree stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.