If PvP is neither open and there is no loot, how do we make meaningful PvP.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by antalicus, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

I will continue my mission to have PvP implemented in this game as it was in UO with full loot and open PvP but I understand there are are different takes on how it can be implemented and it would be interesting to see how they fair.

If you consider yourself a Non-Pvper, meaning you plan to take no part in PvP, then you are probably in the wrong section. However if you, as I, believe PvP can be a key feature in gaming to give it meaning, then please provide your take on how to implement meaningful PvP in this game with the system they are proposing for filtering.

My concerns are without loot, killing has no real meaning or effect on the game. It does not affect the grand scheme of things by removing items from another player and thus requiring them to obtain more, whether it be through crafters or hunting.

How do you make PvP more than a side feature?

2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

How is PVP meaningful when you just want their loot?

I think what I have heard about PVP sounds really good, so I trust PVP will be fun in this game. Regardless of the loot I pick off corpses.

3. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

Our your money where your mouth is antalicus. Donate to 400 and get heard be the devs. If not your mission is alread a failure

4. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Is it loot or is it reward? Is it loot or is it consequence? Because if it is the latter in those two questions then there may be some imaginative substitutes.

5. Haddy G

Haddy G Avatar

I like the their idea of quests pvp. I can understand why they wont do full loot. No one like their crap taken from them. Since full loot is most likely out I would like to see gear be destroyed when you die. It could be randomly selected items or the most worn. This would keep the crafters busy and still make it meaningful.

6. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

Im not in favor of that because there is 0 chance at getting your gear back, if it can be destroyed.

At least with a loot system you have a chance that they wont loot you or that you can kill them and get it back, and yes many times in Uo i retrieved most if not all of my gear whether it was because I was not looted or from killing the person who looted me to retrieve it.

I would much rather see limitations to what you can loot at the least and if you loot another player you cannot fast travel for a period of time. This would prevent someone from looting and ducking out so you had no chance of getting it back.

7. Mortikhi

Mortikhi Avatar

Make the pvp/loot like UO. I want to kill people. I want to take all their loot. I want to lock it down in my house and admire it. I want to cut their bodies up and stack their skulls on my front porch.

Is that too much to ask?!

8. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

How about a system that tallies "honor". If you first attack and kill someone you gain points of dishonor. If you first attack and kill someone who has attacked YOU, you gain points of honor. The points you gain are, for instance, 1/5 the points of the defeated. Accumulate enough honor/dishonor and you get a reward - entry to some area, a medal to display, a head, a title, whatever.

I've no doubt that there are some flaws in this. Have at it.

9. Glimbel

Glimbel Avatar

Selective PvP is meaningful PvP, according to roleplay elements. If you fight with someone, it's because something is happening, not because you bumped into him.
    Open PvP is just random PvP.

10. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Full loot. Don't sign on to pvp quest with anything you are not willing to lose.

I hope we are able to fully loot any corpse. I also hope there is a feign death skill so I can lure loot-mongers in for the kill and then loot all the cool loot that they have looted.

11. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Full PvP and Full loot plz !

Or give a option for not see the carebears.

I ll get no interest in a ******** game.

Tramel = SUPE FAIL

12. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

To get it out the way: PvP against unwilling participants is not meaningful. So Open PvP isn't going to make it meaningful except in the way it will drive lots of people away after you kill them a dozen times in one night. It's also not the direction the game is headed in anyway. Etc etc.

What PvPers need is a resource (or a couple) coupled with a zone to control. And impact through certain quests (such as already have been proposed).

Again, I don't think ALL the best resources should only be available in PvP zones, but SOME of the best things should be (all playstyles should have their own reward). They should be fought over, with the victors able to trade them in the cities.

Also various other PvP subsystems would add to the range of things PvPers could do, from Arenas to the equivalent of battlegrounds.

Although as much as I enjoyed the WoW battlegrounds they just... never changed... or had any impact upon things. Perhaps this can be tied into certain zones. Maybe there is a region of feuding baronies and the like that players can support and such grounds of conflict with associated benefits result.

Anyway, just some ideas.

13. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

""What PvPers need is a resource (or a couple) coupled with a zone to control.""

NOT TRUE !

PvPlayers need to be free. ! Feel freedom ! We wan a RPG where we are free. I wanna be killed and looted ! I wanna creat some relationship we poeple etc etc ....

14. motiv

motiv Avatar

Free for all PvP works well when you

Remove the barriers of consensual PvP. This will then

End the lack of community that consensual PvP gives.

Enjoy the fear of Pks roaming around but remember to

Deny the PKs the right to prowl free!

Only then will the game become an experience not a game.

Motiv

15. ZtruK

ZtruK Avatar

I am in the open pvp + full loot lobby as well. It's better for everyone. Craters have constant business and items become tools for that day's adventure instead of a permanent thing. You can still have amazing and shiny items in the game, just don't leave your home/guards with anything you aren't willing to loose.

16. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

This thread seems to have reduced 'Meaningful PvP' to basic griefing and theft. That is not meaningful in any way, shape or form.

Stealing from the corpse of another player has no effect other than to drive them from the game. Griefing (i.e. - PvP w/o Consent or at least RP) has the same effect. Your stated scenario will force another Trammel on the game. How about some new ideas please!

17. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Looting does nothing for crafters since no item is taken out of game, it just gets put on a vendor and is recycled.

18. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

For all the talk of risk and revenge and open PvP, I urge you to consider all the folks for which PvP doesn't mean a worthy battle, it means certain death - over and over and over. Nor are we going to stand for being locked up in towns and other "********" areas.

19. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Oh, and here's a bonus for all you Kickstarters. If you ever see my character in a group battle DON'T stand next to me. I'm liable to accidentally strike you as I'm trying to heal you.

20. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

<blockquote>Looting does nothing for crafters since no item is taken out of game, it just gets put on a vendor and is recycled.</blockquote>

Not completely true. In this system the PKer is more likely to hoard your gear than sell it back into the economy. In a full loot system there is more reason for multiple sets of gear.

Picture this, you have 100 players and they each get 1 suit crafted for themselves and they are content with their gear and see no reason to get any more. The only way they would need more gear would be if it broke and I wouldn't assume that they are going to make gear break that quickly (maybe last a few months of normal play). In this case the crafters aren't making much at all. In a full loot environment people are more likely to request multiple sets and PKers are more likely to hoard gear they loot rather than sell it back to people. So instead of making 100 suits a month you are making 100, 200, 300, who knows. Gear is getting turned over daily and there will always be someone needing it and someone hoarding it for themself.

In a non-loot system everything is recycled and there is no reason for hoarding gear. Gear hoarding on full loot becomes your own insurance system. Who likes to die and not be able to get right back in there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.