In-Game Translator?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Strothers, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strothers

Strothers Avatar

Would it be possible to take googles translation technology and implement it directly into the game instead of copy & pasting?

So if I am playing with a German player and a French player, the in-game chat will auto translate
    the dialog for me. This will be very handy for the International players.

Hopefully there will be other players that like this idea too!

Athanil [BEAR], Net, Jynx and 3 others like this.
  2. Mata

Mata Avatar

i am the first she was need this. :D

3. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I have to say I am leaning rather against the idea. I do not like Google much and I do not want it to have access to in-game chat, I am not really fan of devs having access to it, though I can understand reasons for it, but a third-party? That is something I would hate to see in EULA and if I ever decided to read it, it would be one of those things that could put me away from accepting it.

Anyway, there are (imho) better reasons to be against it. Not having translation is excellent way to help us to learn or practise various languages. And lazy people like me have to be bit forced to use different language. Also since it is multiplayer game, not having automatic translation would create a market for new profession - translator, which would be rather cool imho.

What I would support though is option to copy text from chat to the clipboard, that would be handy. And people can use whatever service or program they want for translations. Who knows there might be some mod that would allow for translations, which is way I would prefer over direct implemetation to the game, since it would be more optional:)

4. Strothers

Strothers Avatar

I do share your concerns about this but..

For International players who have many many languages and dialects, this can be overwhelming.

So as I am British, and my time zone is comparable with France, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Spain, Italy (The list goes on), these will be the majority of players I will be adventuring with.

Thus it would be nice to create as little hassle with these other players as possible. Even if the dialog is a little funky.

So despite the negatives. I still like this idea! ;)

Jynx, Athanil [BEAR] and Net like this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

Well, being from Europe as well, I can really understand your desire to make translations easier, still, many of these players will be able to communicate in English (and most likely in one or two other languages) and most of them will know someone speaking both English and their language.

I am bit torn on this issue myself, however not being able to understand someone is not necessarily a bad thing imho, it has a lot of gameplay potential, even though our gesticulation options in game are limited. Of course, not being able to understand anyone could be a bit frustrating, I think that most people will gravitate to communities where they can understand each other, and the interactions between those communities could be made easier with translators.

I do not think I can bring new points to this discussion and we could continue in circles for ages, so I am going to stop here. At least until I get better idea how to support my position, or until I change my opinion on the topic:)

Jynx, Logain, Sir Cabirus and 3 others like this.
  6. Strothers

Strothers Avatar

Haha I agree.

I think it will be a nice addition to the game. But your right, alot of European Country’s second language is English. I’m sure the game mechanics for quest sharing etc will make it user friendly anyway. Still nice to find other people’s ideas on the subject though. :)

7. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

I wouldn't mind using a translator that's not ingame as long as they fix that Alt+ Tab crash issue ;) I would like that idea of copying text to clipboard to be implemented asap...i'm just too lazy to type everything again....but that's just me i guess :p

Gaelis, Jynx, Net and 1 other person like this.
  8. Logain

Logain Avatar

Have you ever tried to read (and understand) a non-trivial text after it had been 'processed' by Google Translate? I'm convinced that often enough you wouldn't be able to grasp the context regardless of the translation, even more so when 'slang' and abbreviations or lazy text-shortages are involved. If I've got the spare time, remind me to translate some of the NPC conversations with Google Translate to German and then from German back to English. Let's see if you could still follow the context and provide the right keyword (if they are not highlighted! ;p ).

In short, I don't think that the marginal 'benefit' would be worth the additional required ressources (on the server and man power for implementation).

Zantul, Net and Gaelis like this.
  9. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Easier said than done what he said. Some languages this may work with but not all.

10. Mata

Mata Avatar

11. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Please no 3rd party google tech in SotA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.