Standard PvP-Models?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Sep 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I just read that Guild Wars 2 will bring standard PvP-models into the game. This means that the game will feature one model per profession, per gender and per team. I read that this is done due to competitive play, as too many different models and animations can make it hard to accurately anticipate and react to opponents.

I wondered if SotA will feature something similar for PvP.

Lord Lonn R-10 WOLF likes this.
  2. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I like that idea, but mostly because I see PvP as something separate from the rest of the world. When I'm doing PvP, I don't care about lore, scenario, or anything of the kind (and I don't want to care); when I do PvP, it's for the fun of it, and at that time game mechanics trump everything else.

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

What's the issue exactly?

GW2 has 100v100 fights where I could see them wanting to cheat on graphics if that's overloading the system.

They also have much smaller say 10v10 arenas which would be more like a WoW battleground. The arena combat is balanced with everyone having level of gear.

4. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Moved to PvP section.

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Cosmetic changes based on gear would also be a factor in this.

Profession: (assuming this means class) SotA is not class based.
    Team: (assuming this means faction) SotA may have factions but they would be chosen after character creation.

Edit: The purpose of this would seem to be about leveling the playing field at the start of a battle. Is that what is desired for PvP in SotA? Is there a "start" of battle?

6. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

How would cosmetic changes based on gear be a factor in this, please provide examples from your thoughts on the subject?

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Visual representation of gear, cosmetic, changes the look of the model. Same situation as having several different models or highly customization models.

8. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

I don't think this will be a problem in SotA; Since, the game isn't all about super fast flashing and colorful explosions of rainbow abilities like a FF game is. The only problem I see with this would be clutter in game which will be controlled so if you don't have a computer up to the minimum performance than you could get disconnected from all the abilities and clutter. Also if everyone spams fire balls, lightning bolts, whirlwind attacks, and explosion potions with meteors flying all over the field there might be some issues xD. <];D

Umm, if this is completely off topic then I'm completely stupid, and I don't really understand what you mean, lol. <];D

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But isn't the PvP and combat modeled in that way? You can cast fireball after fireball to have a very fast and intense PvP in the game. So there will be explosions everywhere and people casting fireballs and lightning bolts all the time. The combat and magic system is done for this purpose isnt it?

In arena battles or when a guild war ensues or when a player enters PvP mode to smuggle some goods then I would call this a start of a battle.

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Arena battle
    Guild war
    Smuggling

I guess you could design all three of these to have even teams with similar starting location, gear and level requirements, etc, and a count down start timer. Arena battle would be the only one that I would consider people wanting it that way though.

11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I must say the arena battle was awesome! Chaotic melee, it was so much fun!

12. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Doesn't this make PvP really too predictable?
    If there is one model per profession, gender,team then it makes it "ah we know how to battle this type of model"
    I think the unexpectable is much better, if you don't know what the [hoocheemama] is coming at you is more fun.
    Myself I hope SotA is not going to feature something similar.
    I appreciate your research and posting it, but don't care for it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.