Crafting skill caps

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by OverLord, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OverLord

OverLord Avatar

I read that you get crafting "points" by crafting items and that you can assign those points to various crafting skills. ie: you might get a crafting point by making a tailored item and then spend that point on blacksmith skill. Is this how it works? Or does getting a crafting point raise your skill in all crafts? I'm unclear on how exactly to raise craft skills individually.

I'd like to know if players able to get ALL crafting skills to maximum level on a single character, if they are willing to put in the time to do it. Is there going to be a maximum crafting skill points overall, or by individual crafts? In UO the individual cap was 120 skill(100 for newer characters) and 700+ points in total, all skills combined.... how does the SotA crafting skill/overall skill cap system work?

Whoa - I just had a flashback of making 2000+ spears to finaly hit Grandmaster Blacksmith in UO and then having a single gain in meditation lower my Blacksmith skill back to 99.9!! This was before skill locks came into play, man that was frustrating, lol.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, as far as we know, that's how it works. You assign earned skill points, and there is no hard cap, the cap is probably going to be that the xp it takes to advance increases like in other games.

By the way, if you have any questions about confirmed stuff in the game you can also join the SotA chat. There's an active part of the community there.

3. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

They've said there is a cap... a hard cap... and they said that was to force people to rely on each other... what's your source that's been changed?

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Unless its been changed since I last heard, and I just missed it, I'm saying that based on something Chris said a while back.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Here, this was from back in May,

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/conversation-with-chris-on-skills.10576/

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

This has been a source of confusion on my part because it's an SMO and not a MMO... I assure you for the last six months I've been poking probing questions to see if this is changing and haven't seen it changed... I have talked with several devs and their feeling is the system is easier to control and balance with hard caps.

7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

8. OverLord

OverLord Avatar

I'm trying to keep up, the other thread talks of combat cards a lot, the crafting system also uses cards? The crafting skill points are generated by actual crafting and not combat, correct? Do the two compete with each other? ie: if a player has x amount of fight skill it is that much harder for him/her to have craft skill too... or are they totally independent?

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Crafting and adventuring xp pools are set to be separate. As far as I know, they havent talked about interaction between the two xp pools.

10. smack

smack Avatar

Well, the official weekly Q&A answered this here. But that was back in January....so yeah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.