Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Impressions from a Mac user V 11

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by MogwaiX, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MogwaiX

MogwaiX Avatar

More impressions from a Mac user. Skipped the last version, since it crashed way too often.
    Let's go.

1. Crafting works great, and it's fun. I love collecting all the materials, it's fun! All those mushrooms, though. Why can't I collect them!?

2. The game no longer crashes on each area change. Great! Was about to say "never crashes", but after marches it got stuck again.

Better than most releases, anyway. Didn't play the last release, since it crashed all the time.

3. Map looks MUCH better! Great!

4. Combat does not start automatically after I click an enemy. Is this supposed to work like this? I have to press an action from the action bar before anything happens... Other than that, it's okay.

Sometimes enemies don't die even if their life runs out. They just stand, doing nothing.

Enemies come too close when fighting. most of the time they stand ON you. Looks silly.

5. The game still runs SLOOOW. Anything above fastest is unplayable. Pretty bad experience overall. Holtrot is the worst so far. Only way to play there is to look at the ground.

6. If I close the back bag, all bags close. Not good when you're hunting.

7. TOO REPETITIVE MUSIC. Please make it go away from time to time.

8. Graphics are getting better, but characters still look weird. Plastic and ... Unreal. Some textures are horrible, wooden shield, for example. Animations are strange. Collecting Sulfurous ash makes your avatar hit in the air... Some of the buildings don't fit in the game, and look strange. Rocks rock, though. :)

9. The new chat system is much better than the old one.

EDIT:
    10. CAN'T....GET.....INTO....OWL'S.... HEAD!!! :O The game always crashes on load. DAMMIT! I want my rare loot! :(((

2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Good input, I agree with most of this. A few exceptions. R11 ran fine on my IMac 2.7 GHtz machine on the 'simple' graphics setting, with the exception of locking up during zoning. Frame rates may have diminished with more time playing, but not sure if that was the game in general, the load at that location, or me. But more or less, outsize of zoning, it was a good Mac experience.

3. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro with 8 GB ram. I find that if I run it NOT in full screen 1152 x 720... I don't have many lag issues. Adoris aside that is... That place must be amazing but I don't see it. I only look at the ground for a fast enough refresh rate to move!

4. MogwaiX

MogwaiX Avatar

Yeah. If you look at the ground it runs great. Sadly, thats not much of a fun gameplay experience...

Lyran likes this.
  5. Montesquieu Paine

Montesquieu Paine Avatar

I tried Steam and Mac this release (previously was on PC).

I never could figure out how to 'undarken' the screen enough to make the game playable at night-time anywhere but on the Overland map.

I am sure there was a relatively easy fix and that such will be in the 'player notes' (which alpha testers help generate). It's a necessary one -- I had to leave the game or stay inactive during the night-time, because otherwise, I just blundered into whatever was there. Walls, trees, people, monsters...nothing like dying when you can't even see what's attacking you, or if it's from a distance.

This _is_ quite realistic. (See Lindybeige on YouTube on 'Torches' for great visual and commentary.) But it's very close to the 'unplayable' end of the spectrum.

6. smack

smack Avatar

I'll double check this tonight but it almost does seem like the game is darker on my Macbook Pro (maximum brightness) vs. my LCD monitor (calibrated). That may be due to the glare or whatever of the MBP. But I'll do a side by side visual test...maybe the devs need to put in some gamma control to ensure "correct' brightness for everyone.

7. smack

smack Avatar

Ok, I can definitely say that in side-by-side comparison at the exact same location and time in-game, on my Windows PC (LCD monitor), the game is much brighter than it is on my MacBook Pro (and it's on max brightness).

I was in Braemar and waited until it got dark. On the PC/LCD, the nights were dark but I can still see in the distance. I can see the green glow of the mist. But on the MacBook Pro, at the exact same location/time, I can't see anything in the distance. It was nearly pitch black except what's immediately in front of me and even then it was still very dark. This was done in a dark room with all the lights off, so no glare or ambient light.

Also, during the day, the intensity of the brightness was also much higher on the PC/LCD than the MBP. The MBP seemed very dull and washed out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.