New Lot Type: Vendor Stall

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Rufus D`Asperdi, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

One of the things I hope to provide with the Village of Dawn's Keep is a central market, where the resident artisans might sell their wares, and customers would have a central location to visit rather than needing to wander about looking for vendors placed on residential lots. Also, Row House lots have no space for vendors so, artisans living in row houses will need a place to place their vendors.

My proposal is that a Vendor Stall would be a property lot with dimensions of 5x5 meters. This means that 6 of them would have the equivalent area of a Row House lot... 24 would have the same area as a village lot.

Otherwise, they would work as any other lot... there would be a Lot Deed, needed to claim the lot, and potentially different types of Stalls which could be placed on them.

What this would do for me, as a the owner of a Village intended to be a haven of artists and craftspersons, is allow the conversion of a small number of my planned Village Lots to Vendor Stalls to create a central market large enough that every resident could have a stall, should they so desire. This would also provide the developers a method by which they could establish similar central markets in Non-player settlements to foster and enable the player run economy that is a central design tenant of Shroud of the Avatar.

Net, Mercyful Fate and Budner like this.
  2. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

With Renting, this could be done by players.

I think you are taking your idea from New magincia stalls in Ultima Online, and generally, i don't like it in UO, and i dont think i would like it here.

There is a problem , though, that people NEED to have houses in order to have a vendor, but to rent a spot for a vendor in someone's else house is more than a good enough solution for me :)

3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Granted, it could be done by players with renting... But that still means that customers will need to wander through residential districts searching for vendors.
    I've no idea what "New magincia stalls" are, so can not have modeled my idea after it.
    Yes. People need a house to have a vendor, and this is a problem. Potentially, one might own a vendor stall without owning a house. And should vendor stalls come to pass, it would not removed your preferred solution, merely provide more choices to all.

4. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Ultima Online has a town where there is a set amount of small 5x5 vendor areas, which are rented out to the highest bidder, and where you sell wares on your vendor. Sounds indendical to what you are suggestion, so its by all means possible to do!

However, i don't like it. Still. :)

One big reason is that you would acually devalue houses by doing it. Why would i have vendors on my lot which might not be in the most visited area, when people could easily get vendors in the middle of a town?
    So, " searching around for vendors " is a good thing for everyone who owns lands..

5. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

There are market areas in Owl's head. I don't see a problem with an instance owner wanting the same for his or her purchased land mass. In fact, I'm more inclined to visit areas that would have this type of market rather than moving from house to house as that can become rather tedious. It would be nice if every property owner could place their vendor in that instance's defined market area rather than limited to their house property only.

6. Haz

Haz Avatar

I am so against having a centralize location for vendors it makes my head hurt thinking about it. All I see when folks start to talk about stuff like this is another Luna.

Has there been comment from the Devs at this point about how many vendors we will be able to have...based on anything....per player, per location, per gold, per....anything?

Vendors in UO became banks, they became space holders for folks who have run out of inventory space in the many homes that they held (and a large portion of those homes were held by only paying for their many accts once every 90 days). Vendors were used to delay the dropping of homes in UO.

There really needs to be a strong grip on vendors and how they are used, or we are looking at the same type of thing here as we saw in UO.

7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't see how having a central market would contribute to any of the ills you list, or contribute to you headache.

8. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'm getting the impression that those who object would prefer to see a recreation of the Ultima Online paradigm. I agree with you in that the vendor to tied to a residential property is unrealistic. It is also highly inconvenient. Wandering around endlessly, searching for vendors that sold what I was looking for was the ultimate in tedium. This would be exacerbated in Shroud of the Avatar as there is unlikely to be, and it is among my most fervent hopes that there will never be an equivalent to the Recall spell and the associated rune books.

Vyrin likes this.
  10. Haz

Haz Avatar

Hi Rufus,

After reading your comment, I thought about what I wrote, and maybe I should have said it differently, or maybe presented a better picture of what I'm seeing or have seen and what I was thinking.

I ask the question to anyone who played UO....did you like or dislike the central market place at Luna? Was it just a minority of folks who didn't appreciate it? It was garish, overcrowded (by vendors, npcs, and players) un-natural, and a pain on the senses and sensibilities. It also placed the majority of players at a disadvantage when it came to selling goods. Now, maybe if it was a bit different I wouldn't mind quite as much. I didn't seem to mind the way it was setup in New Magnacia. At least not as much. Spread out, limited vendors for limited time frames. I've had vendors at Luna, New Mag, and at my home as well.

A centralized market place, that was open on market day might be nice....but a centralized location (someones home, or lot) that holds 50+ vendors, all day, everyday to me, and I only speak for myself, is not how I would want our world to look like.

I'm still not sure why I am not satisfied with what I have written, but I'm posting it anyways.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Thank you, Haz;

I think some of your concern might be addressed by the way SotA is designed to work. There can only be so many people in a given instance of a scene. Once some critical population is reached, another instance of the same scene is spawned. What this means is that while the buildings and NPCs (including vendors) persist across all instances of the same scene, it will never be overcrowded by Players.

Unfortunately, I have no recollection of the Market at Luna.

And, yes... a house packed with vendors would not be my preference either.

12. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I think vendors should be placed anywhere, but the amount of vendors should be limited to 10 per household. Imo.

13. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I remember the idea of a Bazaar of NPC vendors as well. This could be a place where players could jump on the opportunity to place their vendor for the week/ or day. If there's a festival, it would be nice to have secured spots for the event, around it, in their own little vendor stalls. I would say at least 30-100 vendor slots remain open on a daily basis, and if you want to keep your vendor there you would have to stay up to date with it, like taxes or something.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Not unrealistic, people very often lived in the same building where they opened shop. The shop would be on the lower level, and the home would be on the upper level. When they retired from work, they'd close up all the boards and go upstairs.

But I would support more options for shops too :>

Vyrin and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  15. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

That was one of the options in my post in that thread... :) We're on the same page!

16. Net

Net Avatar

I would love to have option to have small shops like those merchants in Owl's Head market do. I quite hope we could place such shops on a public area if town owner permits it, but it might be easier to do so with new lot type.

Arianna, DavenRock [MGT] and Gaelis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.