Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Dont know were to begin

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by SirBoss, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

One of the biggest problems in development right now, as that expectation has driven developers to release earlier and earlier stuff to capitalize on people unaware of the process, which then makes a ton of noise thrown at the developer, which makes development drag (typical of most teams who really try to battle the noise), which in turn makes a worse product, which leads to more complaints, etc...

This then affects traditional publishers looking to invest when they look over those teams past performance and release, which means less money being thrown on "smaller" projects; hence the detachment and rise of the indie, self-funding, smaller teams, which now seem to be caught in the same loop of getting alphas and betas out there as "final" products that live forever in the iteration space.

Those that do not understand development need to stop asking for "early access" products, and treating them as release products.

I am not holding my breath.

Gorn da Morn likes this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Seen this happen to many many projects over the years.

Best line of defense - as a developer, passion in the product you wish to provide and experience with this kind of snowball effect. RG has the passion and the experience.

randomonium and mike11 like this.
  3. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Since I didn't want to start another thread, here is a nice list of things to consider... look forward to see this game progress however it ends up,

things to finish before beta::

- zone to zone travel and exit on the world map
    - full moongate transit system
    - make pvp arena have risk/reward and interesting way to bet/earn money (nothing too crazy)
    - improve overworld map enhanced encounters and resolution
    - laying down, sleeping / hole up and camp (group features for world map like have all your group members in a private camping scene)
    - eating food w/cycles (i know it's coming, I am very anxious to playtest it!), there is going to be a whole lot of stealing vendor food going on ->
    - complete handling of theft from merchants as well as items which can effect a various amount of factors (this is probably already partially in place)'
    - player vendors or a way for players to sell goods
    - economy that is shouldered by housing prices prices (in flourishing areas property costs more)
    - taxes which can be controlled in player owned towns
    - more things to do at taverns like board games
    - player NPC's in and around their homes
    - a method to access player created content (a crowd source version of Chillblain's dungeon)
    - better and bigger dungeon features like traps, poison, electricity
    - adding of a Lore system to the game to help both GUI elements and population in the world of special items of interest
    - Much improved Chat interface that can be more suitable for VR type of playing (eg. using a very minimal interface) as well make try to include the Portalarium Chat board into the game), and include a version for Dev+
    - Continue to improve the Avatar(s) look and movement, add more natural gestures to all NPC's and monsters
    - totally revamp the character creation system
    - complete Guilds interface and features
    - At least 1 companion prototype system
    - All main cities mostly done in Novia to a point like Ardoris or better
    - targetting system much more robust and can handle many players onscreen more easily
    - get rid of any instances that feel "too small" if not intended
    - totally revamp the hotbar system so it is more robust to handle a much larger volume of all types of abilities and also grant access to "hot key" commands for non-keyboard users (hint Z cycles through all kinds)
    - work balls out on the combat system until it totally rocks
    - make sure that content is not overly gated when Novia arrives so mostly all of Novia can get accessed
    - get PvP control points working on the Map and make them worthwhile

4. monxter

monxter Avatar

@mike11, that's a good list :) so much to look forward to

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi all, I was just reading the thread a bit and hopefully everyone will hang in there. We're opened for a bit now and there are quite the discoveries to make this release. I got to thinking about boating since someone mentioned how will that work in this game with
    hexes and I had a thought. So imagine you get into your boat to go exploring and you actually can explore the whole world, imagine there will be a boat world created that allows you to travel and stop anywhere just like any game of boat traveling. The boat world will be created so you can explore the waters of new Britania. The Devs will make it happen. So much is going into place already. I'm already noticing that every dresser, every container you open now does open like in ultimas. Richard said he would make a world of interactivity and yaaay those dressers and night stands now show they will be able to have contents in them.
    Just be patient if you're no,t and check back or start to look for the hidden walls, little changes, and additions, and multitude of surprises that will start to appear in game. You ain't see nothing yet. The Dev team knows what we are looking for and they are listening. Right now they can only get in what they can get in, but much much more is coming. The look at the game at this point by no means tells you much at all. I can't wait and will just trust the team who is as committed as we are for the great game to happen.
    I think this saying will say it all for us right now.
    "IF YOU ONLY LOOK AT WHAT IS, YOU MIGHT MISS WHAT COULD BE"
    **cheers everyone** Happy Thanksgiving to you all. :):)

Gorn da Morn and monxter like this.
  6. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

This post reads like it was written by your typical Archeage forum user. If we're going to start complaining about how much money we've given to this game we should wait at least until it's closer to being a finished product and not do it while it's in pre-alpha. BTW Archage is terrible for crafting. You create like one suit of armor and then you're out of labor. Labor system ruins anything you want to do in Archeage that isn't grinding or pvp. I know because I play it too. . . well. .when I have labor points anyway.

7. fenix

fenix Avatar

I had a disappointing Release 12 experience and, filtering through the feedback in the forums today, I guess I'm glad to see I'm not alone in being less than pleased.

My SotA experience, now over a year long at this point, has been filled with many crests and valleys of satisfaction with the way things are turning out and this particular release marked a new low. The overworld map is frustrating even though it does look better, it still feels like the world of SotA isn't one that I have any desire to actually live in. Whatever lightning in a bottle they managed to capture in the process of world creating and establishing a sense of place in the Ultima series and UO is completely absent from this product. With or without fancy 3D graphics (or in this case, community sourced and mostly outdated looking 3D graphics), you can establish a sense of place and give me motivation to want to invest in a world. I just don't feel it and this reality hit me like a ton of bricks in this release.

This first point all "SotA defeners" latch onto and launch into is the "exposed alpha" defense and I have to concede that this is valid. The biggest problem for me now is that I have to acknowledge this and then perhaps get myself to accept that the core of this game just isn't what I want. A million releases of polish and balancing can't change the fact that I am starting to realize an absence of attributes that drew me to Garriott's previous efforts in the form of addictive gameplay elements and sheer sense of scale and wonderment at the virtual world in which the Ultima series, especially UO, unfurled.

I forced myself to play Release 12 for about 5 hours before I gave up, installed UO, and spent the rest of the weekend playing a game that is over a decade old. I had a blast.

repka3, sn0tub, Sky_walker and 4 others like this.
  8. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Well written, well said. I think people are realizing is that with this world map, and the use of instances and scenes that this game just isn't going to have that open world feel that many of us had grown to love in UO. I myself must admit that while we were told from the beginning this isn't going to be another UO, we all wanted it to be. It's a hard pill to swallow. Who didn't love being able to run from Britain to Yew checking out people's houses, shopping player vendors, or killing the occasional Harpy or Orc found along the way without a single loading screen. I try to remember the days when I loved playing FFXI to help myself accept the instances. Once I start relating that experience to this game it does help, and knowing that the same people who made UO an amazing game are the ones developing this one is comforting, because while this game isn't going to be what many of us were hoping for when it was announced, it is still going to be a great game because it's being developed WITH us, and not just for us.

Believe me fenix. I feel where you are coming from, at least I think I do lol.

paulen, repka3 and Joviex like this.
  9. Vanhailm

Vanhailm Avatar

When I joined the Kickstarter I really hoped a solo-RPG with a touch of Online components. I rapidly understood once the first Releases were made available that it won't be the case. To me the biggest letdown is how "hollow" the cities will be for those of us who won't give a damn about the MP side of the game.

For the last 4 releases I only log a couple of hours to check the latest game mechanics changes. I don't want to spend too much time in New Britannia now because I fear to get a too negative feeling from the unfinished product. I already got frustrated by the combat and felt that it was seriously unfriendly for the newcomer.

Maybe being an alpha tester is not for me, but then I more expected the team to ask us to tchallenge some specific content with each release rather that leave us "toying" with the unfinished game...

Lord_Darkmoon, Joviex and MogwaiX like this.
  10. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

awesomely worded post, thanks!

repka3 and Grayhawk like this.
  11. MogwaiX

MogwaiX Avatar

You think you're pissed? What do you think people who thought they were getting the next Ultima VII, and are getting a MMO instead are thinking right now.... ;)

12. Grayhawk

Grayhawk Avatar

The more messages ≠ the more helpful.

13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

And the OP does, does it?

14. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Think you hit the nail on the head. You got the UO crew wanting UO, you got the original Ultima crew wanting a U7 type experience and we have ended up with both parties disappointed. Now its open up to Steam Greenlight which will bring in more disillusioned peeps on both sides of the fence.

The Greenlight thing really peeved me off tbh. Why did they need more money? Why would you release SoTA to a wider audience in this current state? Its not like RG is poverty stricken. Seemed like a grab for cash. Pretty much highlighted the whole failure of Kickstarter and Greenlight.

The game still has huge potential though

Joviex and repka3 like this.
  15. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

I usually don't like to jump into these kind of threads, mostly because it's a cathartic outlet that makes for an unpleasant evening. However, I thought it salient to point out there are several (not limited to) groups of people who will be unhappy with SotA for the following reasons:
    1. Preference of art, game-play, music
    2. Disagreement with original (or promised) development versus current development
    3. Personal expectations based on previous experiences
    4. Under or misinformed about what the game's stance / offerings are
    Granted that a lot of us here are old timers from the days of UO and the Ultima series, and our fondness of those days are priceless and irreplaceable - but I find that the latter two reasons are really painful and self-inflicted. To be clear, I respect and accept your opinion of the game based on any of these reasons, and the misery or commiseration bothered me enough to want to chime in here and reflect it to others.

I really and sincerely hope that all of us will eventually steer the game into a zone where all of us can have a piece of the cake and enjoy it together - the SotA developers have repeatedly proven to me that they are listening to feedback. Never before have I been so encouraged by the active dialogue between developer and player, so we should take this opportunity to forge a better game through objective dialogue. :)

Aegis159 and Grayhawk like this.
  16. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I don't understand this post. There is a single player offline story mode correct?

Duke Raas likes this.
  17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Story alone does not make for a great single player experience. You need a believable world, too in which NPCs have a purpose, follow a schedule, go to work etc. Creatures and monsters need a purpose, too in what they are doing in the place they are in. Cities need a purpose (fields, farms, fishermen, miners etc.). Respawns do not make sense in a SP game and what about party members? How will the economy work in SP (offline)? What about choices and consequences that can alter the world? Having a great story is fantastic but this is just one of many aspects a SP game needs to be a true and fun SP game.

Joviex likes this.
  18. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I agree with everything you said, but, I guess what I still don't understand is how playing single player (offline) mode isn't providing that experience. The game is supposed to be this offline single player experience with the option to jump into the dynamic online world as well.

19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Problem is, right now we don't know if SotA will offer such a believable world. If it does not then in SP mode we will get an empty static world that is nothing more than a stage or set in which you can follow a story. I doubt that anyone would want to play in such a world.

20. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Okay, got it. I know that's what they are shooting for so only time will tell. I am also looking forward to some features that will present a more "alive" feeling world. Weather I think will be a great help as far as environment goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.