1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Thank you for the presence on Steam

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Resurrected

Resurrected Avatar

Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

Currently, I'm seeing SotA rank:
    - #6 in Popular New Releases for Windows and overall (#4 for Mac, #2 for SteamOS + Linux)
    - #18 in Top Sellers for Windows and overall (#8 for Mac, #6 for SteamOS + Linux)
    - #5 in Specials for Windows and overall (#2 for Mac, #2 for SteamOS + Linux)

Also, on the SotA site, we had the largest every increase in pledges since I've tracked. On an average day, we would only see about 30 pledges. But with the excitement for Steam, we had 757 pledges yesterday, which is greater than the previous high of 448 during R4! Plus, we had the largest ever increase in New Britannians (adjusted for bots in the past), with 822 signing up yesterday.

Let's keep that momentum going!

EDIT: Forgot to mention those are across all games. For Early Access games only, we are #1 in Popular New Releases, #3 in Top Sellers, and #2 in Specials.

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think it counts redeemed keys which is why other Kickstarter games are often #1 on Steam the day they release with tons of immediate pre-sales from Kickstarter. Since you don't need Steam to play SotA, not all SotA players have redeemed the game at once on Steam. If you had all the backers redeeming a key at once on the same day (release) and if Steam was the only platform, then SotA might be #1 like Wasteland 2 was.

Edit: I switched to Steam so I could write a review there. I recommended the game, upvoted the recommended reviews and put the Unofficial FAQ in Steam as well as a guide you can pull up in game via Steam.

Time Lord, Mata and Net like this.
  4. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Sorry if this is a dupe but does anyone know if the main page total pledge amounts reflect Steam sales as well?

Time Lord and Mata like this.
  5. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Saw that increase, also saw that the average money per user dropped like a cannon ball, which just means all these new users are buying in at the base price, no increases (*yet).

Hopefully they will "up" their pledges, but as of right now its not offsetting the monthly that much. This is still ranking a pretty poor month in terms of the overall money raising campaign ( 11 out of 20) -- potentially on its way to being the 8th best month for money raised.

The irony seems to be that during the same "time period" of the 5 previous days, we made more money than since steam launched. 14678 vs "avg" 15900

Gotta be some weird universe is whispering something thing -- maybe because everyone is busy playing the game? but they were also playing the last five days? so...

Time Lord and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  6. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

It does according to the numbers I pull every 2 hours. Smack and I have seen a definite increase in users.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. enderandrew

I'm not worried that the new players are just at the $45 level. If anything, we need new players who aren't already tapped as opposed to going back to the well to ask for more money from people who've already spent and spent.

For this game to be successful long term, it needs a larger player base.

8. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

thats called racism :p

9. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

I recently visited Portalarium and gave my prediction of 5,000 new pledges for the first 7 days on Steam. Noting that it would mean SotA had more pledges through Sota.com/Steam than on the original KS. Looks like my prediction is on track.

10. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Possibly more, IF the trend holds. Since its a holiday week, who knows.

New people on Monday: 570
    New people today (so far): 389

Extrapolating for the remaining hours of today (total): 666

Showing a daily increase of 116%. So lets pretend all the remaining 5 days are 116% growth over the previous days numbers:

Mon: 570
    Tue: 666
    Wed: 778
    Thu: 909
    Fri: 1062
    Sat: 1241
    Sun: 1450

Possible Total: 6677

I will, of course I will, be sure to tell you if/when those dont meet expectation.

But, given that is at least 45$ a pop (although, with the Alienware cupon, does PORT actually GET that money??!?) brings another 300k to the party.

Cheers.

11. MindBlast

MindBlast Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

Speaking of which...I know some Steam users have been posting in the forums about using the coupon instead of buying it directly from Steam, which was what I argued about when Early Access was announced. I'm surprised that's still working as it will cannibalize sales.

Time Lord and Joviex like this.
  13. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I show a page not found for the alienware link

Time Lord, Bodhbh Dearg and smack like this.
  14. enderandrew

I think the Steam Early Access sale is 15% off right now, putting the retail price at $38.25 USD for American customers at least.

I'm sure Steam takes some cut of that. I've heard Steam takes a 30% cut (just like Apple, Google and most major markets). So Portalarium would get $26.78 per sale.

So they're projected to get $178,810 this week in new revenue, which is great.

I keep going back to RG saying in an interview when he launched the KS that he imagined he would need $5-$7 million budget to produce this game. Of the money that they raised during the KS, about $100k went to Amazon Payments and about $100k goes to Kickstarter. And they have to produce, sign and ship tons of physical goods.

I'm hoping if Steam sales are strong they bring in some more contract work for more animations, more creatures, more gear, and maybe more scenes.

15. MindBlast

MindBlast Avatar

Ok, so apparently alienware promotion has ended without a notice.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Must've coincided with the Steam release.

What's the number at now?

Time Lord likes this.
  17. enderandrew

I think it was causing problems where if you bought the game on Steam and didn't necessarily have an account on this site, you couldn't redeem the promo so they just decided to end it rather than have it cause problems and make customers angry. The promo went on for a really long time. I have no complaints. It was a nice, unexpected bonus that went on for a really long time.

18. Matt Savage

Matt Savage Avatar

Hail to thee, fair Avatars and Heroes :p
    Is there any info on Portalarium's plans to add further pledges and upgrade options to Steam? I'm asking because I have some cash left in my wallet there, and my push-to-pay finger is itching to buy more Steam SotA :D I'd ask on Steam's own forums but the devs don't seem to dwell there :p

19. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Actually they're QUITE active on the Steam forums, probably more active than here. I'd wager that'll just be for a few days while they do damage control though.

Purchasing through steam gets you a pledge account here, or it should (did you link your forum account to steam yet?)
    From the main page, you should be able to upgrade your pledge from the Account page.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Matt Savage

Matt Savage Avatar

Sure I linked, first thing. What I was asking is whether further upgrading through Steam will ever become available, i.e. more expensive pledges also added there, or DLCs that upgrade my pledge by a set amount of $$, DLCs with addons, housing etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.