SotA Civil Rights and Lone Wolves Act of 2013

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by InsaneMembrane, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

@Matheryn Why didn't you post that as your first reply in this thread? Because, it read a lot better and didn't come off as elitist. Which is the real response from you?

2. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

my first post was written in annoyance due to the fact i depicted the OP as a troll set out to run the game and RG and team into the ground, my 2nd post was more focused on the positive aspects of what i percieve RG and team are doing.

Sorry if i come across as an elitist its very far from the case lol. I definately do not assume i can beat anyone at pvp nor do i have any dilusions of grandure, i take my time in running races so i never assume ill come first and i dont run down people when i see them fail i generally am the guy that offers them help. BUT, when i see someone who follows those traits more so the first and last i tend to transform from a gentle person into a werewolf and go savage on them in the form of a blunt reply.

This game is looking fantastic and even though some aspects are not what i am inticipating or even hoping for i am backing it 100% and if that means facing down the trolls then so be it ill pull out my trusty battleaxe
    :cool:

Thanks,
    Matheryn

Jatvardur likes this.
  3. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

I doubt you got too much further than reading my name when you attributed me to a game destroying troll... Most people don't so I wont hold that against you because there is a little bit of reputation associated with the name. :)

I was pretty clear in the first part of the post that I would want all voices to be heard, not just us kickstarters. I believe good ideas can come from everyone, and I'm not so sure that sounds like I'm out to ruin the game for saying that does it? My main issue is clearly that SOME people are treating this as a right, as an entitlement, rather than a privilege and a reward.

Just have a read over some of this for laughs:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/baron-roll-call.1882/

4. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

As far as your name goes i have never really taken notice of your posts before and if i have i never really put a name to it as generally i read posts not the names of posters (i get a bit of a tunnel vision thing going when looking at posts) so my post was not reflected based on seeing your name, it was based however on your OP POV and my 2nd post on the matter sums up my POV

PS not sure if you realised (unless you were being sarcastic) but i too am male *refers to your post calling me sweetie*

Thanks,
    Matheryn

5. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Well I do agree for the most part with your 2nd post which is OT to my POV and why I posted the OP.

6. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

So, I look on kickstarters/backers as our publisher. We're able to do this game because they gave us money (no, literally - Portalarium was able to hire me because of the success of the kickstarter, which I'm appreciative of for obvious reasons!). That used to be the role of publishers like EA. There is no EA with Portalarium - it's just us, and you guys. I personally think this is pretty exciting, because it means we get to make the game we want, not the one that can compete with World of Call of Halo's Dutycraft. Anyone who's been keeping up with our design talks knows that we are concentrating on what we think will make a good game, and one that old-school gamers want to see again.

Does that mean that we only listen to ideas from people who pay us a lot of money? No. Does it mean they have more access to our development than those who haven't? Yep. And that makes sense, since in a very real sense they/you are our stakeholders. The people who paid money to us have every right to get frequent updates on where that money is going and what progress we're making. Of course we also make sure that *everyone* is kept up to date as well, but yes, there's some cool things we put out there for people in the founder/developer tier (like, as of last week, transcripts of our morning "stand up" update meetings every weekday). It's our way of saying thanks for the support.

But we're making a good game for everyone who wants to buy it/has bought it, not just for a chosen few.

DavenRock, Bzus, FireLotus and 5 others like this.
  7. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Yes, this is the pretty exciting part for most of us, that is a great thing!

Also glad to hear your opinion about not writing off everyone on the non-dev forums too.

If by grief you mean PK, yes.

You are not mistaken, you can even play in open player mode without running across me. There is a magic sliderbarflagthing(TM) that will be made available so that you can avoid PKs.

8. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Good, because this post is meant to be about ensuring everyone has a voice in the game they wish to play in, even you, and the ability for a player by himself to be relevant and self sustaining in the game without having to join a guild.

Onward with the OT.

9. Keyser

Keyser Avatar

OK then, on with the original topic. Kudos for being sensible, btw. Since there is a Single Player Online option, I am under the impression that solo play and solo content will absolutely be a viable playstyle option. Never has RG said that this is an MMO. So many conversations here on the forums gravitate towards the idea that this is an MMO. Day one of the reveal and the Kickstarter did not present it that way. In the Hangouts, we have heard RG talk about high risk options, (my assumption, pvp) scenarios. Are they essential to character development? We need to know what we are in for here don't you agree? Is OPO necessary for avatar advancement?

My apologies for having an off topic rant yesterday. I deleted those posts.

10. Luciferase

Luciferase Avatar

I agree with Matheryn on this. I was one of those who first found out about SotA on Kickstarter, because I frequent Kickstarter, thus I pledged from the "get-go" to a game and vision of something I remember doing with great happiness (Ultima, and old-school RPGs). Now I don't think any of the KS rewards make me or any of the others an elitist because of how or when I first backed it, or for how much (in fact I'm on a payment plan now...because I would like some of the cool swag that I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford out right). However I feel some of the statements and generalizations here in this thread seem to "paint" KS, non-KS, and new backers into certain categories, automatically. We all know that with any great number of people, as in real life unfortunately, we will have those who view themselves as better than the person next to them. But to say or rather imply that KS members, non-ks and other are already a certain way, well that's just the wrong way to look at things. I and others may have backed this project from the fist moment we saw it on KS, and personally I'm happy that I did and that I will be getting some really cool extras for doing so but there is nothing wrong with that...I guess what I'm really trying to say is that this doesn't mean I feel batter than others...OR that if I just found out about it today that I should feel ill towards those who backed the project sooner than I. You, me, and others should be more focused on being a part of something that will be enjoyable for all parties involved. I sure am, and I would be happy to play along side any of you given then chance...As long as you afford me that chance by not labeling me first. :)

Matheryn and InsaneMembrane like this.
  11. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Happens to the best of us :p

Agree with you 100%.

I will have more on this later... I did say I wouldn't name names, but I might after a fashion.

Also agree, and certainly sound like you'd make a good mate in-game. The only people I feel I am putting a label on, are the ones who seem to already have done so themselves...

Krez likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.