Which Ultima to play

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Keldrin, Jun 21, 2013.

?

which Ultima to PLay

Poll closed Jun 28, 2013.
  1. Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny

6.7%
  2. Ultima VI: The False Prophet

20.0%
  3. Ultima VII Complete: The Black Gate & Serpent Isle

66.7%
  4. Ultima VIII: Pagan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ultima IX: Ascension

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ultima Underworld I: The Stygian Abyss

6.7%
  7. Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keldrin

Keldrin Avatar

Was browsing GOG.com, and noticed their summer sale going on, and that the old ultima games are 50% off.
    Ultima 1+2+3, Ultima 4+5+6, Ultima 7 complete, Ultima 8 gold, Ultima 9, and Ultima underworld 1+2 are $2.99 each right now.
    Anyways, I've played and beaten Ultima 2, 3, and 4. And I've played Ultima Online. Is there any recomendations on what I should probably play while waiting for Shroud of the Avatar?

2. Pyro

Pyro Avatar

You've played 2, 3 and 4 -- RG claims his best work is 4-7 -- I recommend 6 & 7. Namely because out of the series, these are the two I go back to and play myself. and I've gone back and played them, a LOT.

However, when you throw in the Underworlds....... I love those too. They're a different style of a game from Ultima 1-8 & 9, but still quite amazing in their own right. Some of my fondest memories come from the Underworlds.

I voted for 7, because in the series, it's widely revered to be the gem next to 4.

Rhiannon likes this.
  3. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

I'd suggest that U7 (both parts) are the most accessible these days, and they're also considered by many to be the peak of the series. I'd highly recommend them, and if you like dungeon crawls I'd suggest you play UW2 in between U7 part 1 and U7 part 2, since that's how they run chronologically. :)

You could also consider the remakes for U5 (http://www.u5lazarus.com/) and U6 (http://u6project.com/) if you'd prefer to play in a more modern engine. Both are in-depth mods of Dungeon Siege and very faithful to the originals. U5's my favourite Ultima of all time, and if you've played U4 and liked it you should enjoy U5.

It depends what you want out of the game. I like 5 more for its great plot of virtue being twisted to evil purposes, and U7 for breathing life into Britannia through an updated engine where you can interact with just about every item on the map. You can bake bread! ;)

4. Keldrin

Keldrin Avatar

Ultima IV was a great game. And I played V about halfway threw til my floppy disk stopped working.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

VII is easily my favorite personally but I sometimes also find myself with the urge to play either Martian Dreams or Savage Empire.

I haven't played the U6 remake but Lazarus is awesome! If you have Dungeon Siege I'd highly recommend it.

6. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Nothing else I can say here that hasn't already been said. All accurate and +1 to everyone. Voted U6 as my fav.

7. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I voted for U7. You get U7 and Serpents Isle and all the expansion which were good. A lot game there. Besides you get to see Umbrae in his Ensorcio skin. ;)

However, I can recommend all of those, and it might be good to pick them all up while they are on sale. U8 and U9 you can skip. I liked them but they do have their problems and consistency issues. Ultima Underworld 2 was not well liked by spoony, but I think he was just mad about the super hard Headless in the begin level. :)

8. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

For me it's a tosssup between U7 and U5.

Isaiah MGT470 and Umbrae like this.
  9. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

I started on III when it came out then went back and played II.
    IV, V, and on were very different - enough to call III my favorite. If I went back to play them today I may feel different.

10. Pyro

Pyro Avatar

11. Falstaff05

Falstaff05 Avatar

just bought the special from gog.com. i would say 7 is my fav

12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I have them all, but I think I'd need an IT shop to the them running. I couldn't figure out any of the emulators.

13. OrionSnake

OrionSnake Avatar

I would say play U4 to U9 for sake of the story. Also, don't forget Savage Empire and Martian Dreams.

14. Shadow of Light Dragon

I really loved Martian Dreams back in the day. Plus it touches on Ultima V plot in a way which made me squee. I tried to play Savage Empire since it came out on GoG, but I think being compelled to play a male Avatar gave me flashbacks to U8 and 9 and turned me off the game. :/

Umbrae likes this.
  15. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

The Worlds of Ultima games are gems. I understand about Savage Empire and the male only, but you really should get through it. I actually preferred Savage Empire to Martian Dreams (although MD was still great), so don't let it pass you by. :D

16. Shadow of Light Dragon

Now I've set up my new compy I'll have to download it again and try to play it :) It was also getting re-used to that old interface--and having to write notes! All those recipes...

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Of the two I think I prefer Savage Empire too. Every time I think or see Warren Spector I get flash backs to Savage Empire. lol

Umbrae likes this.
  18. marthos

marthos Avatar

I would say Ultima 5, continue in order. The message behind U4-6 is really quite awesome. Essentially that morals are best spread by example (U4), not through government force (U5), and that you should try to see things from others' perspetive (U6).

U7, oddly, is the only Ultima that I havent played and beaten. But I found U8 and U9 to be a bit more hollow, as it was more of a "defeat the big bad evil" than exploring morals values.

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
  19. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

I challenge anyone attempting to play through Ultima 6 to do so by killing the absolute minimum number of monsters possible.

My personal best is three monsters slain, and that doesn't include the gargoyle ambush at the very beginning. That encounter, in fact, can be fled from.

Umbrae likes this.
  20. marthos

marthos Avatar

Flee from battle? Thou hast lost an eighth! :)

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.