Loot tables, raid bosses...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archaeopteryx

Archaeopteryx Avatar

Ok, then take my sincere SORRY rune_74. If it feels like highly insulting I didn´t manage to express what I wanted to. Still I don´t see the problem with "bosses" dropping the finest player made items. TO ME it does have a highly postitive impact on immersion.

edited for grammar - won´t edit the other one, even though I found some flaws in it by now, as it would feel like cheating

FanofIolo, Isaiah and mikeaw1101 like this.
  2. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

I don't have an issue myself if the boss drops player crafted weapons as others have said provided they are of decent quality, but I do think bosses should have a chance to drop something unique to the boss.
    This could be anything from a non combat pet, unique spell or fighting style [Teachable?], a player housing item, a quest for a rare mission or [insert idea/item here]

Edit: Also this is a good article just having a read through it cheers for posting.

Valdric and Archaeopteryx like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well there will be resources: for example, when you kill a dragon, dragon scales or dragon blood.

That in turn could be used to craft magic items.

Isaiah and Deliverence like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

I would hope that sometimes a powerful monster might drop a rare weapon or piece of armor -- that in theory could be crafted by players, but requires rare resources to craft. They would have to balance that a bit, so its not easier to kill that monster than find the resources, though.

Isaiah likes this.
  5. Archaeopteryx

Archaeopteryx Avatar

Totally fine with having a boss drop some uber-rare item too. The liches fingernails could be a reagent for the highlevel Deathmagic :D
    Droppig a pet... maybe the boss wasn´t that bad at all ;)
    Petlovers unite against butchering XP-greedy adventurers !

Deliverence likes this.
  6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If it takes the fines geared players to defeat a boss then why wouldn't the boss drop the finest gear.

Tahru likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

You can do whatever you want with lich's fingernails, but this is what I'll do,

Themo Lock and Tahru like this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It's true that I'm in the game for the single player aspect. I come from the single player Ultimas which are my favourite games to date. And when RG announced SotA I had high hopes that this could indeed be a spiritual successor to the Ultima games, delivering a great single player experience similar to Ultima 7. After all single player was the first point mentioned during the Kickstarter campaign and even in the trailer, the offline mode is the first to be mentioned.
    So I thought: This will be an Ultima 7 style great SP game which you can also play online with friends or even with strangers in a sandbox mode - what a cool concept. So if I want to meet some friends and go adventuring with them, then I switch modes and have some multiplayer fun. But if I want to, I can enjoy SotA as a true full-flegded SP game, too.
    Over the last year the game changed. More and more towards a MMO sandbox with a SP-mode-"suffix". I got the impression that they just include the SP mode because it was promised during Kickstarter and they want to avoid a shitstorm. So for me the game changed and turned itself around and I try to make people aware of this and somehow help to steer the game back into the direction it was going when it was announced.
    I am not giving up ;)

Also of course people are pledging for a 40+ hour SP-game. Take a look at Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Wasteland 2, Divinity, Shadowrun etc. All of those games are SP games and the Kickstarter campaigns have been even more successful than SotAs or those of other MMOs (which mostly failed). There are MANY gamers out there who want a great SP-game and they want it from SotA, too as it was announced this way and because those people hope that SotA will also bring back the good old days of the great SP-Ultimas. Maybe they don't voice their opinions as loud as those sandbox people or the open-PvP-full-loot-fans. This is a shame and it is not good as Portalarium could think that there are not many SP-fans in for this mode but this is totally wrong. But this is the way the internet works. In most cases a minority has the loudest voice ;)

Fellwin, gtesser, FanofIolo and 6 others like this.
  9. Archaeopteryx

Archaeopteryx Avatar

Lord_D, thanks for stating it this way. Now I do understand more clearly what you would like the game to be. I can fully understand your concerns about SotA neglecting the SP aspect more and more and turning more to a MMO.
    Also thank you for the choice of your words - I didn´t want to insult you, as some people might have understood my post.

May the game deliver what you seek for.

10. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

You're not the only one. Every few days it is another post that's the same.

Ewige Wiederkehr?

11. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Why should Lord Darkmoon leave simply because some ho hum doesn't like him THINKING and QUESTIONING what he is entitled to?

We aren't in New Britannia... we are on a forum trying to shape development since it was a pledge reward...

Like everyone else, Darkmoon is simply trying to achieve his dream... and that is respectable.

Furthermore, as a community we need to look after each other- even those with opinions that very from our own.

Sometimes we argue and debate, but we don't discard people entirely and suggest they leave...

Regards,

Pickley likes this.
  12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Single player does get overlooked a bit by the greater part of the community. I am guilty of occasionaly forgetting it exists.

13. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Corrected, loot table:
    [​IMG]

Jatvardur and Themo Lock like this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

How do player crafted items end up in the global loot table? The answer is easy: handwaving. Use your imagination.

NPC merchants have trade caravans that brings goods in and out of the towns. Those get raided by MOBs. NPCs buy goods from NPC merchants and those NPCs get killed by MOBs and looted. We're told of ships that travel to/from the Vale and Novia, presumably to also import/export goods. Those ships could also get raided by MOBs. All that magic happens in the invisible game logic world that we'll mostly not see occur in real time but we may be witness to its effects to some degree. I'm sure you've all seen that overturned wagon in the woods scene where the Elves are.

Plus we may get roving trade caravans or traveling NPC merchants on the overland map, which I hope we'll actually see enter a scene and travel through the town and engaging with/talking to NPC vendors. And we may see this sort of caravan attack as a Random Encounter. That may give us enough of a visual indication of things that are happening behind the scenes.

As to when/how often that happens...who knows. We'll need them to implement this so we can test it. Perhaps some job will run nightly to check every NPC vendor to see which items should be removed from that vendor and placed into the global loot table. That criteria may be random or based on how long the items were held by that NPC vendor but went unsold for some time, for example. And when MOBs drop loot, there could be additional logic as to what it pulls from the global loot table or it also could be randomly pulled from the loot table.

enderandrew and Tahru like this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its an abstraction.

Not really a problem unless it becomes really obviously fake (ie. you see your own item appearing as loot way across the map a minute after you sell it).

smack and Tahru like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I had planned to make another thread about this topic, but since you brought it up...

I don't think players should get to camp ANYTHING. All scenes should play through once.

17. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I cant remember the name of it.. but ages ago i played a game where if a mob found a dead player it would loot it and equip anything useful. You could end up with a goblin wandering about decked out in artefact gear. They would form parties with weaker mobs too so it got crazy hard. I may be thinking of an early failed test feature in darkfall.

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I wouldn't worry about it, it seems like it is priority for the team either(my opinion)....it's easy to forget.

Tahru likes this.
  19. ahdamnit

ahdamnit Avatar

How did the monster boss get your sword? Well... Remember when you lent it to friend A? Well, the monster boss wants you to know your friend tasted really good roast over an open fire and he'll put that equipment to good use killing and terrorizing many new and soon to be unhappy people.

Maybe he ate a merchant or robbed their caravan. Definitely no way the mob could have gotten it legit eh?

Tahru likes this.
  20. Themicles

Themicles Avatar

It really seems to me like those here worried that this is going in a direction that is ignoring or taking away from the planned single player experience are kinda forgetting that this is still *extremely early in development*. Why have more multiplayer focused stuff available for us to play with at this point? From a development and testing standpoint it would be because a community can create its own content. As a result the game gets played more and more things get tested. Instead of them playing the 30* minutes of story content and then not touching it again until more story content is added. It gives us something to actually *do* with our early access. My wife and I have spent many hours exploring the existing scenes, gathering crafting resources, and decorating our house to test decoration ideas for the day it does finally go live. We interacted with a lot more systems and content than we would have if we had only focused on the quests currently available in the PreAlpha. Really, I want you to sit down and think about what that means. "PreAlpha" is about the furthest from representative of the final product you can be without counting the code before its compiled.

*not an actual estimate on how much story content is already in game

From another viewpoint, there's a reason to not just spoil the story for everyone before its complete. It takes time to craft a 40+ hour single player experience, and if you give it out to the public in small chunks without an NDA, that story goes out on the internet in small chunks. I look forward to playing the single player story in full, offline. I actually may avoid testing parts of the game to avoid having that experience spoiled by learning too much about it during testing. I know thats bad from a quality assurance standpoint. And it leaves me no room to complain if there are bugs in that part of the game when it goes live and I play it.

Tahru, FanofIolo and Themo Lock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.