Hearts of Britannia 2: Valentine's Poetry Contest!

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Holt, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holt

Holt Avatar

[​IMG]

This is an Official Competition by the Bards of the Poets’ Circle and Avatars Radio, on authority of Royal Warrant. Winners of the competition shall be personally rewarded by Lord British and his Court, and have their work performed by Grandmaster Bard Holt Ironfell on Avatars Radio!

Come one come all, and prepare your submissions for the Second Annual “Hearts of Britannia Valentine Day Poetry Slam!” Muster the Truest of Courage, the spirit needed for Love! (Or Trolling.)

Show us how to treat a Lady right, or how to make a grown Knight blush. This year, impress the Chaotic High Priestess Amber Raine, the Handsome Rustic Dragon, or the Infamous Duke Violation with your undying adoration and win the Grand Prize!

To make things challenging: the true author, whether man or woman, peasant or noble, is kept secret from the recipient! Leave it to the target of our affections to decide whose heart is true.

Secondary Prizes will be awarded for love poetry meant for Lord DarkStarr, Lord British, Lady FireLotus or Chris Spears.

Selected readings dramatically narrated by Holt himself to their recipients in a special Google Hangout which will also air on Avatars Radio, while being in game on February 13th! (Recipients have the option of reading the poem themselves, of course.)

After the prize winners have been narrated, and revealed (if so desired by the poet in question) there will be a public Roast, where the most hilarious runner-ups are also anonymously read aloud in theatrical fashion.

Finalists will be reviewed for eventual inclusion in-game! Prizes to be announced shortly, so get writing poets!

MAY THE BEST POETS WIN LUV 4 ALL TIME!

IMPORTANT!

RULES FOR SUBMISSION. READ CAREFULLY!!

You may write to any of the 7 judges. However, are limited to only 2 poems addressed to 2 different judges.

SPECIFY WHO THE POEM IS TO above the poem. That person will judge it. If you do not specify a recipient, it cannot be entered into the pool of contestants!

DO NOT post submissions on the forum or make them public. All submissions are to be kept a SECRET! Failure to do so results in DISQUALIFICATION!

DO NOT include inappropriate/adult content or cursing.

NO MODERN REFERENCES (except in the case of the “roast” ie. funny ones)

MAXIMUM WORD COUNT is 200. This is due to the time constraints upon orally reciting winner’s poetry.

INCLUDE in your submission whether or not you wish to remain anonymous IF YOU WIN. All runner-up will still be anonymous.

EMAIL ALL SUBMISSIONS TO:

holt.ironfell@gmail.com -- DO NOT contact anyone else with your poetry until the competition is OVER!

DEADLINE for submissions is 10am PST on February 10th. On the 13th, day before Valentine’s day, Amber Raine, Rustic Dragon, Violation, Starr, Lord British, FireLotus and Chris will read the poems, and decide upon their favorite.

WINNERS will be announced and narrated by Holt on a special Live Hangout on February 13th. A Roast shall take place afterward where entertaining anonymous runner-ups are also narrated.

PRIZES will be announced soon(™), as Lord British and his Court decide upon appropriate honours to bestow upon New Britannia’s worthy poets. 3 GRAND PRIZES for poems written for Amber Raine, Rustic Dragon, and Violation, and 4 ADDITIONAL PRIZES are on the table: Lord DarkStarr, Lord British, FireLotus and Chris Spears.

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

*scribbles out first draft*

3. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

I am excited to see this happening again this year! Last years was so extremely exciting! Who shall win their hearts desire?

~ponders writing another and seeing if she can win her hearts desire *again* this year~

~reads over rules~ we did not state whether that can be a thing or not .. hmm...

4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Brace yourself!

5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I dont have to write in old English do i? If so im definitely out!

6. Amber Raine

No, you can write in modern english. Just do not relate modern items/references to it.

7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ahh ok! whew i was getting worried on that (modern references thing!) :)

8. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Oh, this is exciting, glad to see it back! I'm going to be away until right before the deadline, but being in the Caribbean might do well for inspiration... :D

Psst - Violation's name is not in the banner but is in the text, I almost didn't see it there- might want to update the graphic!

9. Amber Raine

Oh Dame Lori - Enjoy your stay in the Caribbean! Such a wonderful time of year to visit there!

10. Athens

Athens Avatar

Poetry is fun
    I'm looking forward to this
    Challenge accepted

11. Holt

Holt Avatar

I want to put a special little badge in the corner or something: "Now with Violation" ;)

12. Rustic Dragon

Rustic Dragon Proprietor of the Hearth

I look forward to reading much pooetry.

13. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

*perks up* Poems you say? *smiles*

Well, this is a grand tradition! I look forward to the second annual Hearts of Britannia!

14. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I'm not trying to troll here but, could you define inappropriate?

I have an idea which is not graphically adult so I would like a definition of inappropriate. Unless you mean graphically adult as the subject matter as inappropriate. Writing a poem to the Darkish DarkStarr in something less that darkness would just not be appropriate.

So....what is inappropriate?

15. Amber Raine

Inappropriate - Adult content. Keep it PG - even if it is a roast. No cursing, no "scenes",
    Inappropriate - not suitable or proper in the circumstances. (if you would not do it normally every day .. do not add it to your poem)

That helps?

16. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Sort of.... LOL

Its not adult or cursing but its not your ordinary idea for a valentine poem. LOL. For sure.

I think I will write it and let you guys shoot it down if its too "out there"

Thanks for your response.

17. Amber Raine

Well if it is a roast it is very much acceptable. That is one of the reasons for the "slam" part of the contest. It does not have to be all hearts and butterflies. I would use my spoon in my own forehead first before that happened!

18. carlaisle

carlaisle Avatar

Somewhere between here and Timbuk3 Chaotic Bliss
    Enchante'......But What of the Butterflies ,the Chaotic heartbeat , one wish hearts desire ........Trip the lights fantastically...........May I have the pleasure of this dance.........Dances the night awy sweeping one off there feet .......lost in the moments.......Cherish such Memorie forver After............Embrace Thee... Let it Reign Emotion & Chaos here & now .... Faithfully Yours for all Eternity ............:) :) :)................

19. Amber Raine

As the time ticks down to nothing left
    My eyes they dart from east to west
    Which poem shall win love or slam
    To whom shall i divulge all i am

It is time now to send to Holt
    a small poem of love to a person of note.
    Violation, Rustic, or Amber Raine
    Did you win last year? Perhaps you will win again!

There is only one week left before the due date for submission. Be sure to follow the rules and send those poems in to Holt Ironfell! We are looking forward to hear from you!

20. Amber Raine

This just in as per a misunderstanding:

WINNERS WILL READ THEIR CHOSEN WINNER!
    Yes, that is right! If you write to one of these amazing people, they will read it themselves!
    (If they are present)
    Holt of course will still be reading the roasts.
    (because he can take the heat)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.