Journal from the Past

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Fireangel, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

A petite lady with long, fire-colored hair stood in the earthly realm. Her expression was sorrowful, almost tortured. She gazed out of her bedroom window at nothing. It was twilight, just when the ceiling of the sky changed to show the promises of eternity. A few tears streaked down her face, but she made almost no sound. Minutes passed. She began to pray, her lips moving, but only a few indecipherable whispers escaped. She closed her eyes, and woke up at a moongate to Britannia.

The music first stirred her out of her reverie. She looked to the side and behind her, but there was nothing but blackness. In front of her stood a moongate, and she knew what it meant. Her heart lept, and she thanked God. As she stepped into the moongate, she expected to be instantly transported to the land, but was instead presented with more moongates, and choices.

She chose to be called Fireangel in this land, and chose to be a warrior, with a little magic. The Shards all looked the same to her. When she last came to aid Britannia, there had only been one realm to travel to, not the choice of multiple Shards. Catskills was the Shard closest to her location in the earthly realm, and so she thought the travel might be easier there. She chose Catskills, and found herself inside the beloved realm again.

Britannia was more crowded than she had ever seen it. People were excitedly talking to one another, greeting her, and others, trying out their new skills and grouping up for exploration. The lady strode out as Fireangel to learn as much as she could as well. Others invited her to join their groups, but she rejected the offers graciously, wanting to first experience what she might alone.

One gentleman, calling himself Gungadin, approached her, speaking to himself as well as her, and anyone within hearing distance. He was trying out the new realm, and his character, which was similar to hers. Gungadin was not forward, but was friendly, and very funny, in a good way. He had her laughing in no time, and told her that his name in the earthly realm was Mike. She kept her own earthly name to herself, but bantered with him while they both learned of Britannia together. When Gungadin asked to team up with Fireangel for their first adventuring experiences, she liked the idea, and it was so.

Gungadin began to flirt with Fireangel as they became stronger, learning the lay of the land and honing their skills together. She was wary of him, putting him off, but enjoying his wit and humor. When he learned Hide, a skill they had been trying to learn for days, she spent the entire day trying to understand how he described it to her, and finally did get the hang of it as well. He congratulated and teased her, and they laughed over how such a simple skill had given them such problems.

Weeks went by and they began to differ in their opinion of what was more appealing in Britannia. Gungadin had visions of them exploring the most dangerous dungeons regularly, alongside other mighty warriors. He wanted to test his abilities against others and against the creatures of the realm. Fireangel wanted other types of adventures, however. She wished to find a guild that followed the Virtues of the Avatar. She wished to be part of such a respected guild, and find a way to worship and share God in this realm. Her visits to dungeons and the like would be limited and of purpose, not merely for action, as her friend desired. Fireangel hated to abandon her new friend. When he began to make friends and flirt with another female, she was relieved. Fireangel told him she was moving to a Shard where she had learned of a guild she wished to become a member of, if they would have her.

Gungadin became repentant for his outside flirtations, trying to hold on to Fireangel. "I was just trying to make you jealous. I know it was stupid. You never really let me close to you, though. I want to be close to you. Let's stay together. Give us a chance. Just think of all the fun we've already had, Fireangel. We'll be the most powerful warriors. I don't want to go to another Shard. We'll have to start all over."

She smiled sweetly at him. "Mike, don't be sorry. I'm glad you found another girl. We're sort of growing apart in what we want out of Britannia, that's all. I'm going to the Great Lakes Shard, and find the Burning Heart Guild. They may not be all they profess to be, but then again, maybe they are. If they are, it is exactly what I'm looking for from the realm, as a group to join. I don't care about dungeons, Mike. Not as a regular place to visit, at least. I want to go there on a quest, for a purpose, not just to gain skill or locate treasure, as you do. I would be bored by that, and hate it."

"No you wouldn't. It would be exciting. You don't have to be scared. You're a great warrior, and I'll be with you. I will protect you."

She patted his arm affectionately and sighed. "I would be completely bored. Scared, yes, but bored. I know that doesn't register with you to make sense."

"Don't go, Fireangel." He pouted.

"I'm going, Gungadin, but I'll come back on Monday nights for awhile, if you like. You could come to the Great Lakes Shard one night a week, or something, if you like, to adventure with me there. I won't abandon this Shard all together, at least not yet."

"Come on, don't go. I'm never going to find anyone like you. You're going to miss me."

She laughed. "I will miss you, Mike. But I'm still going. The reason I came into Britannia is not on this Shard. I believe I will find it in the Burning Heart Guild. It doesn't bother me to start all over. I'm looking forward to meeting them."

"You're going to fall for some big, bad warrior over there and forget all about me."

She grinned. "I won't forget you, but I can't guarantee the other part won't happen. He won't be a warrior who thinks I need to drag through all the dungeons with him, though, if I do. He'll let me be me. I have other things to do. Places to go, things to see, you know? Hey, go fall for a big, bad warrior female. Then you'll be very happy here."

"You're a big, bad warrior female. I helped you get that way. Only you're tired of my company."

"Oh, for heaven's sake, Gungadin. I'm tired of dungeons. Its not my fault nor your fault if we don't like the same things. I'll contact you Monday night, if you're here. I'm going now. Have a fun day. Find a guild that goes on frequent dungeon crawls."

She left the realm and went to the Great Lakes Shard, where she became Fireangel anew. She began learning her skills again, and gained some funds, learning her crafts all over again as well. She got a few survival items and made her way to the Yew Abbey and visited the Bank there. She saw a Burning Heart member named Malimn, but he recalled out. She saw another Burning Heart by the name of Gamaliel, but he was in a conversation with someone named Haplo from the same guild.

Fireangel thought it best to travel to the village the Burning Heart had formed just south of Yew in person. Perhaps she could meet them there, and it would be a more relaxed setting. She did not wish to intrude or be a pain to them in any way. It seemed a guild full of Virtue, and she wanted to be a part of that.

She stopped in Yew Town proper, then took the road South, as the instructions she had found said to do, to find the village of the Burning Heart. The road ended, and there were some farms, where she continued South. There were some mongbats she battled, being careful not to be overwhelmed, and still she continued South.

Fireangel admired the landscape. There was a lovely curve to the land, along which the bluest water ran. A little brown house was there, named as belonging to Dragonfire. She liked the name, even thinking how it went well with hers. It was locked, however, and no one was home. A dragon was further South of the little brown house, and so Fireangel made a quick detour to the east, where she saw a little clearing, with some buildings. She investigated.

It was the Burning Heart Village, to her delight. She saw several gallant-looking men and women there. Dragonfire was in a long blue robe, over his armor, and he wore a purple cloak. Gamaliel was in silver armor with a black cloak. He was flirting madly with a lady named Ardanna, but she seemed to be laughing at his attempts. There were other names, which ran together as members of the guild went in and out of the main tower building, talking and planning their day.

Fireangel greeted them politely. A few of them responded, while others nodded or bowed. Some immediately recalled out to other places, having been polite to her, on errands of their own. She did not know if it would be proper to go inside the tower. It was not locked, but neither had she been invited, and so she stood outside, speaking to the few who remained there a little, trying not to be annoying.

Dragonfire was kind enough to speak to her at length, answering some of her questions. He bid her to make herself welcome in the tower and make friends with all of them. She was welcome and encouraged to come around as often as she would like, he said, as long as she was as polite as she was now. He apologized for having to go help some people who were trapped in a dungeon. She bowed to him, knowing the dungeon and level he spoke of in it, admiring his courage to go in alone and lead them out. He chuckled, saying it was his specialty.

A couple rode up just then. The lady had long, blonde hair and wore a red dress. She was pretty, but looked soft and spoiled, not as capable as the lady named Ardanna did, nor as Fireangel did herself. The man was a little younger than the lady, he was in armor with a black cloak, which matched his thick, black hair. He grinned at Fireangel with a confident look.

"Hello, little one," the blonde lady said to Fireangel, and dismounted. "I am Shadowlady, and this is C.T., my fiance. Are you new to the village?"

Fireangel nodded. "I am, My Lady. Salutations to you both. I was looking for the Burning Heart after I found out all about it. I am so happy to be meeting all of you."

Shadowlady looked up at C.T. "Did you hear that, Love? Isn't she the sweetest? Go put our horses up, Love, and I'll take her in hand. We'll help her, won't we, C.T.?"

He nodded. "I will be a pleasure." He dismounted and led the horses away.

"You can move in with us, Fireangel. We'll help you get started and trained. We've got armor and weapons, too. The whole guild does, but so do we, in our own house. It's in the village too, just over there." Shadowlady pointed to the eastern most building.

Fireangel hugged Shadowlady enthusiastically. "Thank you, My Lady! I am happy to have found the virtuous guild of the Burning Heart. I want to adventure and help in the land."

Shadowlady giggled. "My goodness, you are a sweet little thing. We shall be good friends, I think. Ah, here comes C.T. Let's all go inside our home." She led the way, and C.T. followed them closely behind.

C.T. held the door open for the ladies. He smiled at them. "House, sweet house."

Fireangel looked up at him oddly. "Not a home?"

He laughed. "it's her house. She's crammed it full of her style. I suppose it's that way in most houses, though. I don't mind. I'd rather be out doing battle,...usually." His grin was mischievous.

Shadowlady waved him off. "He means he comes in for,...romance. I'm lucky to snag him long enough for that. He gets tired of all my chattering. I'm going to get him to marry me, though. If I don't, the guild might kick me out, or something. We're supposed to be a good example, and all that. Besides, I like weddings. What girl doesn't? Have you found a man yet, Fireangel? You're such a pretty little thing."

"You certainly are," C.T. agreed in a teasing manner. He came all the way into the house and pulled the door shut. He stood very close to Fireangel, gazing down at her with interested eyes.

Fireangel blushed. "Er,... thank you."

Shadowlady began piling Fireangel's arms full of dresses and hats, necklaces and bracelets, and put two kinds of boots into her pack. "You put all of those in your pack, little Fireangel, and wear whatever you prefer, of course. I'll tell you what. There is a little room back here. This will be your room. C.T., Love, bring that light gray chest into the little room. It will be for her.

"Go find her several kinds of armor and weapons, too. Make sure you find a helm that will still show her face. I've never understood why helmets are made that cover up a person's face." She leaned nearer to Fireangel, and pulled at her to walk along. "Come along into your new room. You'll live with us. I always wear hats, never helmets, but I'm stronger than you."

Fireangel grinned crookedly. "On this Shard, only," she thought, "and not for long, if I can help it." She listened as Shadowlady prattled on, thanking her for the gifts of supplies the woman piled into her chest.

C.T. came in with armor and weapons, putting them into Fireangel's chest. He looked into Fireangel's blue eyes. "Do you know about the armor and weapons of the realm, Fireangel?"

She nodded. "Yes, Sir. I was on the Catskills Shard until today, and had become fairly strong and experienced there. Yet I sought a guild of Virtue, and found one lacking. I seek to attain the noble life of an Avatar in Britannia, My Lord, may God grant it so. It is my heart's desire to uphold the Virtues wherever I am." She smiled up at him.

C.T. gazed back at her with a new expression. He admired her. "It is a worthy goal, My Lady. I have not heard it so aptly put before now."

Shadowlady scoffed. "Well, you've found the right guild for it, little one. You have to at least have the appearance of certain morals here, or they'll kick you out. I've been on the edge a few times. Still, they are nice and they are fun people. I've learned more about the lands in this guild than when I was on my own, for sure. We'll all help you, and they'll like your attitude better than mine." She laughed loudly and winked at C.T.

Fireangel armed herself with her new equipment and supplies as best as her inexperienced character could accomodate. She put other items in her pack that she would be able to use soon, once her skill and strength increased. She thanked them both profusely.

Shadowlady was summoned to the earthly realm. She fairly cried. "I hate it there! C.T., take our little friend out and help her with her skills, Love. I'll see you both later, I hope. If not, then tomorrow. Make yourself at home, Fireangel, and welcome, again." She went to her own room and vanished from the realm.

C.T. put his arm out and Fireangel gingerly took it. He grinned at her, then whistled approvingly. "You are a beautiful lady, Fireangel. Let's go out and get your fighting skills up."

She blushed. "I don't want to cause any problems. You don't have to train me, C.T."

He winked. "Oh, yes I do. Shadowlady will have my hide if I don't do her bidding. Besides, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it, I can tell." He chuckled. "I'd help you even if she didn't ask me to, Fireangel. I can already tell what a good heart you have, and it's a rare and precious quality. I want to know you better. You need your skills up, so it's a win-win situation."

"Thank you, C.T."

C.T. trained with Fireangel for hours, and her skills improved. He took her to an undead cemetery near the guild village, and helped her train more against them. C.T. told her that when some of the Burning Heart members were in the village, she could mention she needed training anytime, and someone would most likely be willing to spar with her.

"Should I go there now, C.T.? You must be tired of this and bored, by now."

He looked her over as they swung swords. "Not hardly. I'm not giving you away yet. I'm just letting you know not to be shy. They are good people, and they have fun sparring and helping new members."

"I'm not a new member yet, though."

"You haven't approached anyone about it yet, Fireangel?"

"Dragonfire said for me to get to know you all first, and make friends. That's what the information said, too. Then Dragonfire said he was sure someone would sponsor me soon." She got in a good parry at C.T. while she spoke.

C.T. chuckled. "Ow. I will gladly be your sponsor, Fireangel. You'll be outdoing me soon. Will you learn to heal as a mage or use bandages, or potions?"

She stopped, her mouth dropping open, her eyes wide. "You will, Sir?" Moisture glistened in her eyes. "You would, though you barely know me? You and Shadowlady have already been too kind."

He was charmed by her humility. "Fireangel, most of the members couldn't even name all of the Virtues. The thing is, they are good people, so they uphold the Virtues even so. Unless you are the best actress I've ever met, you will not only fit right in, but will wind up being an example to us all."

She gasped, choking back emotion. "I would be honored if you would sponsor me, C.T. I promise never to take your kindnesses, or that of your lady, for granted, Sir. I feel I have found a home in the Burning Heart already, if they would have me."

So, C.T. sponsored Fireangel, and within a few days time, she had met most of the Burning Heart members. They all told the lady that they were amused by her, and that their hearts were lightened by her interaction. She was able to get plenty of concentrated training from various members. Her skills soon exceeded what they had been on the other Shard. She came to the point where she felt she could be an asset to the Burning Heart, and began to accompany different members as they went on journeys. getting to know the individuals.

Dragonfire was called upon frequently to rescue members, friends and even groups from dungeons. He knew the tips and tricks in each one well, and he was more cautious than most, never hurrying inside. He made his way patiently in and out, and was well known for having the fewest casualties and most recovered items when he went to a dungeon.

Fireangel began to take notice of Dragonfire more than the other men in the Burning Heart. He took her with him on a few of his rescues, to show her some of his methods. They laughed together. She became impressed with his courage, his uncanny skills, his patience and his kindness toward others. She found herself attracted to Dragonfire.

He flirted with her. She listened and watched to see if he ever flirted with anyone else, but he never did as far as she could discern. She soon found herself flirting back, which seemed to surprise and flatter him. One day she decided that they should have a talk, and she asked Dragonfire if she might invite him to a picnic with just the two of them. He hesitated, but agreed.

Fireangel met up with Dragonfire just outside the tower of the Burning Heart. She asked him if they could stable their horses at his little house and walk up to the local farms for their picnic area. He agreed, and so as they walked, they talked and laughed about common things as they looked upon the peaceful scenery.

When they had spread their picnic, and were relaxed, nibbling at their food, they flirted a little. She asked him if he believed in God and the Bible. Dragonfire said he did, but that he believed more in living out the life rather than preaching about it. Fireangel said she did too, though she felt it an obligation to speak the Gospel when the opportunity presented itself, so long as you weren't forcing it at someone. He agreed with that, though was more reluctant than she to take advantage of every opportunity, feeling he always wanted to keep it natural.

Having settled this basic agreement on the most important ideal to her, Fireangel felt at liberty to make herself open to Dragonfire, should he wish to have her in his life. They cleaned up the picnic and walked about the farm, even going inside one of the empty buildings to look around aimlessly. He seemed somewhat taken aback by her offer to try a relationship, and she wondered if he was not interested in her romantically. He assured her it wasn't that at all.

"Then what is it, Dragonfire?" she looked at him, and reached up to move a strand of hair from his eyes.

He eyed her cautiously. "You are a lady, Fireangel. It is obvious that you are a real lady. I'm,...not used to anyone with such manners and well, purity. Do you know how long its been since I've tried to have a real relationship? I don't understand why you would be interested in me, frankly. Are you sure you don't just want to be friends?"

She was a little hurt. "I'm just a person, Dragonfire. I asked you if you believe in God and the Bible. Those are the most important things to me. You seem to believe and feel the same way I do. Do you believe people should give their life to God's Son and that He changes our hearts? Do you believe that God's Son was born of a virgin and raised from the dead? Do you believe we should always try to be more like God's Son every day?"

He nodded. "Sure, I believe that. It's a long process. I'm not perfect." He laughed a little. "I'm a long way off from perfect."

She shrugged. "No one who's walking around in Life is perfect. As long as we agree on those things, though, I'm open to you. I'm attracted to you." She was blushing. "That's all I'm saying. I don't want to be more forward than that."

Dragonfire stood close to her, looking like he would like to take her hand, or put an arm around her, but he didn't. He just gazed at her, and let a slow smile spread over his face. "I've never had someone as beautiful or as good as you are show this kind of interest in me, Fireangel. I,...don't want to trust it. I think if I let myself, I could fall head over heels for you.

"I'm not that great of a guy. I'm just average, you know, laid back. I try to be kind and good, but,...I really have to try. I wouldn't want to let someone like you down. I wouldn't want to hurt a lady like yourself. I think I'd like to think about this, maybe sleep on it, if you wouldn't mind."

She nodded, silently, feeling embarrassed, and a little rejected.

He took her chin and tilted her head up so that their eyes met. "Don't get me wrong. Part of me is really excited and would like to just grab you and lay a big, wet kiss on you. I'd like to wrap you up in my arms. I mean, you are beautiful, Honey. Where did you even come from? Then you have this great heart inside of you. I just can't rush in on this. I can't treat you like any other woman I've ever met. I can tell that much, at least. Give me some time to think about it and sleep on this idea, and then we'll have another talk, Fireangel. All right?"

She nodded again, as he released his hold on her chin. She still felt pushed away, though his reasoning sounded very sweet and sincere. "I'll leave it up to you, then, to bring the subject up, or not, Dragonfire. If not, then we'll remain friends, for my part."

A com-crystal in Dragonfire's pack blinked. He answered it, to find someone needed his rescue help from a dungeon. He agreed to come to them soon. "I would not leave yet, Fireangel, if you wish me to stay longer. They are not in any immediate danger, and they were foolish enough to go there with too few, so they'll understand if I take my time in getting to them. No one calls me if they are in a hurry. I never hurry." He laughed lightly.

She smiled. "I have plenty I could be doing. Don't let me keep you. This will give you time to start thinking away from me. No worries."

He leaned forward and pushed Fireangel's hair back from her cheek, where he kissed her softly. Dragonfire reached into his pack and took out a figurine of a dragon, and a rose. "This little statue is one of my favorite. I've carried it as sort of a good luck item sometimes, though I'm not really superstitious. I like dragons. This rose I've had for awhile, always wishing I had a beautiful lady to give it to. I'd like for you to have these from me."

She took them awkwardly, and thanked him. "I like dragons, too. I suppose that seems strange. I've always liked dragons. And, well,... most females like roses. I'll think of you when I look at these."

He kissed her cheek again, and hugged her warmly. He made a happy sound when she hugged him back, and he stood there with her a moment, in the embrace. He whispered, "If you've always liked dragons, that's probably why you like an old dragon like me." He drew back from her then, and winked. He led her out of the farm building and back to his house.

She mounted her horse. "You know, I still haven't named this mare. Isn't that odd?"

He looked at the horse thoughtfully. "What about Firefly?"

Her eyes widened in delight. "That's perfect. How did you come up with that so quickly?"

He chuckled. "I was thinking of a pet with the word fire in it, and it came to me. Don't feel like you have to --"

"No, no, I meant it really is perfect. I like it very much. Thank you. Be careful in the dungeon."

"I will. Thank you for the picnic,...and the offer. I'm weighing it very seriously. We'll talk soon. Be safe getting back to the village." He waved.

Fireangel waved back to him, and rode away.

*EDIT: For any who wonder, the Gungadin mentioned is not the current Gunga Din in our SOTA chatroom

rild, Ned888, Myrcello and 8 others like this.
  2. ChunShing2

ChunShing2 Avatar

quite a read.

Fireangel likes this.
  3. Crusader of Sacrifice

Crusader of Sacrifice Avatar

I very much enjoyed that. Will there be more? To bad I didn't give Ultima Online a long enough chance to know about Burning Hearts. That sound like a guild worth joining.

Fireangel likes this.
  4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Fireangel: That was a wonderful account of your past adventures with the Burning Heart Guild in Ultima Online :D (I can't believe I didn't notice this post back in June!) It makes me regret not being part of the whole Ultima Online experience. (My friends' negative experiences with griefers prior to the establishment of Trammel kind of turned me off to the idea :()

5. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

There are more Journal pages, but they are from the long past, and we are about to begin a new adventure. I could share more pages. Hmm,... let me find another for you. [**EDIT 'Starr O'Mercy' was a wonderful lady in our guild, and had nothing in common with Starr Long, except that she was a fan of his. **] -

Fireangel stood just outside, behind the Burning Heart Tower, as if she were looking for something inside her pack. She spoke quietly into her com-crystal to Starr. "I think we’re just about ready. Dragonfire is ready. There are a lot of our guild members about."

Starr spoke back just as softly. "I've been pretending to look over the Compassion House’s supplies. "Should I start calling for them to get to the Abbey, then?"

"Give me five minutes. I’ll touch base with you once more."

"Good deal. I’ll start saying I’m getting calls for the Burning Heart to help, but I’ll say I’m sorting out the information." Starr offered.

"That’s great, Starr. All right, I’m going now."

Fireangel recalled into the Abbey, and slipped into one of the sleeping rooms. She locked the door and changed into a disguise. She donned a man’s red wig, which had a built in beard and mustache. She pulled on a full nobleman’s suit, all in blue, complete with fancy cap. She walked into the Yew Abbey hall and began to call for aide.

Before anyone reached her, Fireangel, dressed as Jacob, tapped her com-crystal to Starr. "I’m Jacob now, calling out in the Abbey. Go!"

People soon began surrounding Jacob, who seemed greatly distressed. He mostly sought Burning Heart members, whom he had heard of, far and wide, as being the upholders of Virtue. Starr was rallying the members from her end, and soon Jacob was surrounded by Burning Heart members as well as others who were drawn in.

Jacob asked the crowd to hear his tale and help him. He led them all aside from those in the Abbey who were getting daily business done. Jacob declared an evil mage had trapped his son and his wife. He had married a half-elf, Rebecca, against his and her family wishes. His family had always mistreated his wife and son, Jonathan. One night the mage had appeared at the foot of his bed with threats, and attacked them, kidnapping their son.

Their son had been missing for quite some time, while Jacob and Rebecca had sought him, with little help. They searched for their son together and separately. A day had come when Rebecca did not return, but Jonathan had come wandering back, half-starved and shaken.
    Jonathan had relayed that the mage had kept him as a slave, paid by Jacob’s kin to take him away. Rebecca had gotten a group of rebel Elves to help her search the ruins near Yew that day, and had found the vile mage’s lair. Rebecca’s group had found the mage and Jonathan, and fought to free him.

Jonathan had escaped, but the Elves that came out to him said Rebecca had fallen to her death, along with other Elves. The mage, they said, had made some binding stone. He captured Rebecca’s spirit as she died, and it was trapped there, neither able to resurrect nor to pass on. The mage had cackled, and vanished, and they had fled Rebecca’s hopeless apparition.

Jacob told the Burning Heart that his son, Jonathan, had been returned to him by the Elves. They had been traveling, trying to find more information on the mage, or on the black magic that held Rebecca’s ghost unmercifully. They had learned that the binding stone must be destroyed for Rebecca’s spirit to be released. As they were in the Abbey, this very day, to gather help in finding the mage, Jacob said, the mage had come into the Abbey and had taken Jonathan.

The mage had declared he was done with Rebecca’s ghost's disobedience. He was a necromancer, the mage said, and bent on working in the Nether. Ghosts were necessary for such things, and the mage would take Jonathan’s spirit to trap as well, working one against the other.

The mage had told Jacob that he could not do the murder himself, but would let the orcs south of Yew do it, and he would capture Jonathan's spirit once the boy was dead. Then was when the mage had vanished with Jonathan. Jacob, who knew that the Burning Heart had a village near, had then begun to call for help, and they had come.

Dragonfire then, disguised as the vile mage, recalled in beside Jacob. He had been listening by com-crystal and knew when to swiftly appear. He cackled and goaded the listeners to follow, then quickly vanished, before they could attack him.

Jacob claimed to now be paralyzed by the evil mage. He begged them all to free Jonathan, if they knew where such an orc camp was. The Burning Heart members and other valiant folk did know, and went to Jonathan’s rescue. They all began to speculate on who the evil mage was, and where inside the Yew ruins his lair might be.

Starr had already recalled out with other Burning Heart members, rallying them now to the orc camp. When they were fighting orcs, Starr recalled out quietly, disguised herself as Jonathan, dressed identical to Jacob, minus the beard, but tattered and dirty. Starr recalled in to a part of the orc camp Fireangel had marked for her earlier.

Jonathan began to call for help, feigning to be severely poisoned by the orcs. The Burning Heart members were killing the heavy onslaught of orcs in the camp, on their mission to rescue Jonathan. Fireangel was seen in the orc camp, fighting, as well.

A warrior, dressed all in expensive black armor and a dashing hat, fought near Fireangel. His clothing caused her to notice him. Several of the Burning Heart men were calling out to him during the fight, and so she heard his name, Meldryn. She found it a name she liked. Hugh Wolfrider called to Fireangel that Meldryn was the newest Burning Heart member.

She noticed Meldryn was excellent in battle, and he even defended her, though she did not need it. She thanked him, and he winked at her, flashing a smile. She ducked out as Meldryn charged ahead, so that she could recall away, for she saw that all the orcs were nearly dead, and she must disguise back into Jacob swiftly.

The Burning Heart members and their helpers rescued Jonathan from the orc camp and brought him to the Abbey. Jacob was so thrilled to see Jonathan when the vile mage suddenly appeared again, cackling and cursing. He stayed only long enough to be struck, and feigned that it caused him to drop Rebecca’s soul gem, then recalled out.

Jonathan said the soul gem needed only to be destroyed, as he had heard the mage say, and that would free Rebecca’s spirit. The Burning Heart quickly dispatched the soul gem. Jacob and Jonathan wildly thanked them and hailed them. This was the end of the quest parts for Starr and Dragonfire.

Some of the Burning Heart recalled away to continue what they had been doing before the quest. Others, including Meldryn, began searching the Yew ruins for the vile mage’s lair. Those were the ones who saw Fireangel, now disguised as Rebecca. She stood all in gray, long gray hair, and a worn gray dress. Rebecca briefly appeared, calling out thanks for her freed soul near the ruin entrance and vanishing. The rescuers cleared out the undead from the ruins, but found no mage. This was the completion of the quest as Fireangel had written it.

Fireangel and Dragonfire returned home. They called Starr on the com-crystal, and all laughed together over the quest’s success. Fireangel thank Starr for her part. Dragonfire had not appeared as himself in the quest, but had talked on com-crystals to some as if he were along, and so no one had noticed his absence. He joked that he wasn't sure whether to be impressed by his own acting ability or upset that he wasn't missed.

Dragonfire explained that the evil mage’s disguise had been to difficult to get right, and he had been careful to stay in character. He had actually been severely wounded when he paused long enough to drop the soul gem for the rescuers. He said he was healing up fine, and laughed about it, saying he was glad it hadn’t been Primion’s poison blast to hit him.

Fireangel and Dragonfire said goodbye to Starr and turned off the com-crystal. Fireangel checked Dragonfire's wounds until she was satisfied. He then left her side to make an appearance as Meldryn and the others were leaving the Yew ruins.

Dragonfire explained to the others that he had checked out the Yew ruins near the Burning Heart Village first, and then come to this location, but had not seen signs of the mage. They said they hadn’t even thought of those ruins, so that was good that he had checked. They told him of the brief appearance of Rebecca’s spirit.

Fireangel returned to the Burning Heart Village, where she started in on common tasks. She began working on hides inside the Tower’s main room. She visited with several of the members, and listened, as they excitedly spoke of the quest they had all just taken part in. She smiled to herself. This was the second time she had written a quest, and none were the wiser.

Meldryn returned to the Burning Heart Tower. She greeted him, along with Malimn and Cernus, who came in behind him. They greeted her as well. Meldryn approached her, inquiring as to what she was working on. She happily showed him the survival packs that the Hand of Compassion of the Burning Heart was compiling for new members. She offered Meldryn one.

"Thank you, My Lady Fireangel, but I have much gold, and am well supplied. It is an excellent cause, however. I would donate. Are you in need more of coin, or actual supplies, My Lady?"

She laughed lightly. "A gentleman as well as a fine warrior, you are, Meldryn! I thank you for being both. You defended me gallantly today. Actually, Meldryn, if you have any skill in mining, and want to help Malimn, he could use you. We have enough new member packs completed, and gold enough to satisfy those who need coin, but are not greedy."

Meldryn nodded. "I am glad to hear it. I will get together with Malimn, then, and help him collect ore."

"Huzzah, Meldryn. I am not good at mining ore. Welcome again, to the Burning Heart. I heard your group saw the spirit of Rebecca briefly."

"Was that her name? I had forgotten. Yes, she thanked us and vanished. We saw what we thought might be signs of that mage, but couldn't be sure. I pray, My Lady, that you will not travel alone until that mage is caught. His magic is of the Nether, and he a necromancer, the blackest of arts."

Fireangel stood, and curtsied slightly. "Thank you, Meldryn. I shall take heed to your caution."

Meldryn reached out and took her hand. He kissed the back of it softly, giving her the feeling that he wished it were her lips he kissed. He noticed that she blushed. "Your goodness and your beauty are very fair, My Lady, and must be guarded. Call upon me for your escort, and I will be honored. I insist."

She was a little startled. Before Fireangel could reply, Malimn pointed out to Meldryn that she was the wife of Dragonfire. Dragonfire, Malimn growled, might be offended if she called upon any other man for protection.

Fireangel nodded, with a smile. "Yet I thank you, all the same, Meldryn."

"The offer stands." Meldryn chuckled.

She was at a loss in the moment for words, feeling awkward.

Hugh Wolfrider came from the hall to collect the finished packs from Fireangel. "Hello Lass. Fireangel, please meet Meldryn. He’s of the Mawr Clan, and royal blood, out of the Ocllo Palace. A finer warrior, you’ll not find."

She nodded to Hugh. "We’ve met, Hugh. Thank you."

Hugh winked. "Aye, I figured it wouldn't take Meldryn long to make himself known to the most desirable female in the guild. Watch him, Lass. Dragonfire had better be on his toes. He won’t know what hit him, if he’s not careful. Meldryn is a ladies man, sure enough."

Meldryn chuckled and drank down some ale.

Fireangel shrugged, helping gather the new member packs. Cernus helped, and the three of them took the packs to the Hand of Compassion building for storage. Hugh was leading the way, holding doors open for them.

Cernus dropped his packs neatly into a chest. "I don’t trust that Meldryn character. He looked at every woman we passed as if he could see right through her. He is a good fighter, there’s no doubt about that. I just wonder why he joined us. I mean, what’s his purpose? He’s already part of a Clan. Why join us?"

Hugh snorted. "Why not, Cernus? I invited him. He’s got our same values, and will do his duty to the death. He’s loyal to the core, and once he takes a vow, he keeps it. Meldryn had heard often of the Burning Heart. He admired our stand. His parents were the royals of the Clan, and Meldryn was raised in the Palace. That makes him part of our realm. The Mawr Clan is on all Shards, but Meldryn lives here. Why shouldn't he help defend the realm he lives in? He’s part of us, now, Cernus. I’m surprised you don’t give him more of a chance."

Cernus looked at Fireangel. "I trust Hugh completely. I will give Meldryn his chance, of course. I just don’t get a good feeling from him. I think he may cause trouble. I hope you’ll keep you distance from him, Angel."

She nodded. "I’ll keep both of your comments in mind, Sirs. I’ll treat him as a friend, yet be sure not to be alone with Meldryn. He’s already kissed my hand a little enthusiastically, but there’s no crime in that. We've told him I’m married, so perhaps Meldryn will move on to another lady."

Hugh winked. "He may, Fireangel, but I wouldn't count on it. I’d keep an eye on him, or he’ll be stealing a kiss from you."

"He’d better not."

Hugh chuckled.

Cernus scowled.

Fireangel returned to the main hall in the Burning Heart Tower to gather her personal pack. The men were no longer there. She was relieved not to confront Meldryn again so soon. She checked her list again to be sure, and saw no further appointments for the day.

The lady stepped outside and heard swordplay. She paused, alarmed, then realized it was the Burning Heart men, honing their skills against one another. She stood watching them, amused at the antics they put on while they practiced. Meldryn was among them, practicing his skills.

Primion called out to her. "Come and stab me, My Lady."

She laughed. "As much as that would tempt me, Primion, I’ll decline. The last time, you were practicing with poison on your blade, and I spent a lot of money on reagents to heal myself."
    Primion laughed loudly. "You need to be able to defend against poison, too, Fireangel."

"I lived, didn't I?" She watched them a few moments more. "Do you need a healer? I can bandage well. That’s not expensive."

Meldryn answered, "Actually, that’s what I’m practicing mostly, My Lady. I can fight well enough."

Malimn, the object of Meldryn’s swordplay, growled, "He can, that’s a fact."

"Aha, well,...I’ll be off then. Have fun, fair gentlemen."

"Take care, Fireangel!" Malimn called.
    Primion saluted her.

Hugh came out just as she was beginning the Recall spell. "Where are you headed, Lass?"

Fireangel stopped. "I thought I might check to see if Lord Kelso was home. He wanted to help me catch a Night Mare of my own. Did you need something, Hugh?"

"Lass, those are dangerous. They are found in dangerous places."

"Yes, Hugh. Lord Kelso thought he and I could manage it, at a place he knows. He is very able as a mage and warrior. He tamed his own Night Mare. He is willing to tame one for me, and teach me to care for it."

"If I were not promised to go and help Shaye just now, I’d go with you,... or do a better job talking you out of it."

She laughed. "I don’t have to go just now, Hugh. Do you and Shaye need help with something?"

Hugh shook his head negatively. "No. It’s got something to do with Barishi’s lessons. I was just curious about where you were going. I guess I’m just nosy sometimes."

"No worries. I’m off to see if Lord Kelso is home, then."

"Be careful, Lass."

"I will." She recalled out.

Lord Kelso was not home. Fireangel decided to scout out the area he had indicated to her. She encountered one enemy after another. It was a dangerous area. Just as she was heading around a small hill, she spotted Lord Kelso riding toward her upon his Night Mare.

"Fireangel, it is so good to see you." He rode up and gave her a hug from horseback. "Are we going after a Night Mare?"

She looked at his spectral horse, wanting her own. "It is very dangerous around here. Do you really think the two of us can get one?"

Kelso nodded. "We will have to be careful, but yes, I think so. The trick is not to get overwhelmed by the enemy, and not to go too far in after them. If I can tame one enough to come out, we can get out of danger enough for me to tame it the rest of the way. If a Night Mare runs further in, don’t follow it. The enemy is to numerous inside the caves for just two."

She nodded, and they rode East, fighting their way slowly to the cave location. She was not feeling comfortable about their chances of success. It seemed like too many enemies for two warriors to fight through.

Fireangel got too many enemies on her at once, and Lord Kelso healed her just in time. She fell under enemies a second time, and Lord Kelso had to resurrect, then heal her. He was trying to guard her and her regular mare, Firefly, while Fireangel rearmed. Firefly nearly died defending her master.

Lord Kelso healed Firefly just in time, but the horse was too upset to ride. Lord Kelso nearly fell, as Fireangel cast a heal upon him. They were almost to the caves, when Lord Kelso spotted a Night Mare. Fireangel’s horse was being attacked by more of the enemy.

The petite lady had become very frustrated. Lord Kelso was trying to get the Night Mare to come out, but the hostile creatures were getting numerous. Firefly would not be still to mount, for the horse was kicking at enemies. The Night Mare ran back into the caves, and Fireangel, trying to heal both Lord Kelso and her horse, fell a third time. Lord Kelso resurrected Fireangel and her horse, and cast a gate for them back to the front door of his house.

Lord Kelso apologized to Fireangel for the trouble. He asked her if she wanted to try it again. She did not, without more help. Lord Kelso still felt that it was doable with just the two of them.

She sighed. "I must be a terrible warrior, then, Lord Kelso. I believe you when you say you and one other did this task. I can’t imagine the two of us succeeding though."

He smiled. "I did not say we did it easily. It took us hours. Still, it can be done. A Night Mare can help you fight enemies far better than the mare you have now. The fire that the elementals were throwing at us just now have far less impact on me, riding upon my Night Mare."

"I see. Forgive me, I’d rather wait until more people wish to go. I may give up the idea all together, if I think on it. With all the trouble we just had, I was rethinking the idea. Why do I want one so badly? It seems I am being vain."

"I am always willing to go with you, Lady Fireangel."

"Thank you, Lord Kelso. I wish I felt your confidence. I simply don’t. I can’t see spending so much money on reagents to keep us healed and alive, either."

"Do you need more reagents, Fireangel? I have plenty. I always have an abundance of gold, as I am always joining dungeon crawls. It is no hardship for me to supply you."

She bowed her head to him. "Thank you for your kind offer, Lord Kelso, but I will decline. I don’t know how you prosper so, but I am glad you do. No, I would feel guilty for wasting resources and guilty for using your resources up.

"I suppose it is my nature that keeps me poor, but it may be mismanagement; perhaps some of both. I give to those in need, and run to help defend when called, using up my resources, and soon am poor again. That’s when I begin gathering hides, making and selling more armor, and in the same circles it goes." She laughed.

"Come in, Fireangel," Lord Kelso invited. "I shall supply you. Don’t look at the contents until you get back home, if it offends you, My Lady. Your generosity in word and deed are well known to me. Were you not the first to tour me of Britannia? Was it not you to teach me of the shops and shrines, particular dangers and interesting places?"

"Was I?" She laughed lightly. "I’ve shown many. It is great fun for me."

"Exactly, Lady Fireangel, and it is my pleasure to supply you. Will you not come inside?"

She smiled at him. "Dragonfire would not like that, Lord Kelso. Yet if you wish to supply me, I am through resisting that much."

He sighed. "I would always treat you as the lady you are. I will tell Dragonfire that the next time I see him. Take this, then, at least." He passed her a pack.

"Thank you, Lord Kelso. You are very kind to me. I will look at it when I get home."

"Are you going, Lady Fireangel? I would enjoy your company longer."

"Thank you, Lord Kelso. I always enjoy yours. Do you have an idea of somewhere we might go, if I stay? Perhaps the Hedge Maze, or any idea you have."

"Yes, I would enjoy the Hedge Maze. Have you a recall to it?"

"I have a recall stone to the Rune House, and there is such a rune there." She smiled.

Fireangel put the rune on the ground for Lord Kelso. He used it. She took it up again, using it from her pack.

They arrived at the Hedge Maze a few moments later, but to disappointment. Many folk had the same idea, and it was crowded. They meandered about for a few minutes, talking. Neither could think of where to try visiting next. Lord Kelso received a call from his guild and apologized to her because he had to depart. He bid Fireangel to try for the Night Mare again soon, and hugged her farewell.

She recalled back to the Burning Heart Tower, just to see if anything was going on. She knew Dragonfire was spending his day leading a dungeon crawl. The men were still battling, but it was not all of the same men. They were very funny to watch. Czar kept morphing into a chicken and running amok.

Fireangel went inside after a few minutes. It was her intention to go up to the Study and look to see what Lord Kelso had supplied her with privately. Meldryn and Daylar were inside, having an ale. She greeted them. They bowed gallantly.

Meldryn looked her over. "Did you get a Night Mare, My Lady Fireangel?"

"Pfft. Lord Kelso was confident we could, but we did not succeed. No, I think I may be vain to want one. Perhaps I should learn to be content, instead."

Meldryn’s eyebrows raised. "I’ll be dam-- pardon me, My Lady. I’ve never heard a woman say such a thing in all my life. And I have known many women."

Daylar chuckled. "Not like our Fireangel, I’d wager."

She shrugged. "Have you seen a Night Mare?"

Daylar nodded. "Beth Trueheart has one. I hear they are difficult to keep."

Meldryn nodded. "I saw one attack its master in Ocllo. The guards wound up having to kill it."

"Really? Lord Kelso told me to keep it full on meat and to ride it for at least twenty minutes each day, and it would keep well enough. He says they are excellent in battle. He would have kept us trying for hours. He would have me come back and try again, though we barely got out with both our lives."

Meldryn leered at her. "Why not? He was alone with you, probably showing off, trying to win your approval. He wanted to give you a gift of great value, which you would love, and think of him always when you had it."

Her mouth fell open, and she shut it, blushing. She blushed more deeply when she saw his amusement. "In any case, why do I need one? I seldom ride into dungeons, as Dragonfire does, unless I am with all the guild. Such a crowd of friends keeps me safe. I am no treasure hunter. I am no thrill seeker. I say it must be my own vanity to want such a creature. I will keep thinking over the matter."

Daylar raised his glass to her. "I commend your humility, Fireangel."

"Thank you, My Lord Daylar. I am going up to the Study for a bit."

Meldryn caught up to her when she reached the Study. "My Lady Fireangel, I find you an interesting woman."

"You do? Perhaps you have not truly known as many women as you think then, Meldryn. I am sure I am no more interesting than they, in their own right."

He chuckled. "I suppose you have a point. I am serious, however. Will you really give up a vanity to learn to grow in character?"

"I hope I shall, Meldryn. I can think of no other reason for my desire to possess a Night Mare. Why should I indulge my vanity?"

"I see no harm in it, occasionally. You may be completely right in this case. The fact that you have this clarity and this response, however, intrigues me. Do you know how much a Night Mare sells for?"

"I have no idea."

"Enough to buy a medium sized house, and sometimes more."

Her eyes widened. "Oh my. I have no business with such a creature."

"Why not?"

"I have a small house and a plain mare. Do I need more? No. I shall be content." Fireangel sat down on one of the little benches, placing her pack beside her.

Meldryn knelt down next to her, gazing up at her. "I would have thought Dragonfire would have more wealth."

"Do get up, Sir. There is plenty of proper seating."

"Yes, but I was talking to you, and you sat on this bench, which has no nearby proper seating, and you put your pack on the bench beside you, so I have no room there."

"I’m sorry. My mind was on something else. Let us go over here, to this little table with chairs. I’m about to dig in my pack to look at something. I did not mean to be rude." She stood, and reached for her pack.

Meldryn beat her to lifting her pack, and set it on the little table she had indicated. He pulled out the chair for her, and helped her be seated. He stood motionless for a second, then sat down at the chair closest to hers.

"Thank you. I think I was rude. I apologize, Meldryn."

"Perhaps my subject disturbs you?"

"No. Well, not much. Dragonfire has some wealth, yes. He is always being called upon for dungeon rescues, or dungeon treasure hunting, or dungeon crawls, or you know,... something in the dungeons. What wealth he has, exactly, I am not sure. He is never in want."

Meldryn put his arm on the little table, and rested his chin in his hand, leaning near to Fireangel. "He is never in want? He is your spouse. Does that not make what is his, yours, and yours his? Should it not be that neither of you is in want? Can he not afford to keep you in a better house? Could he not sit you upon a Night Mare, if you desire one?"

She glanced up at Meldryn, but he did unnerve her. She made herself look into his eyes with a steady gaze. "It isn't like that with me."

He smiled. "Don’t you mean us, as in you and your spouse?"

"No. I mean me. Dragonfire has offered to buy us a larger house, and to spoil me with many things, including a Night Mare, or my own Dragon, when I thought I wanted one of those. It was I who said no, Meldryn."

"Why?"

"You have just heard me saying why. I should be content with what I need, and not indulge my vanity. I should grow in character, as you excellently put it. Dragonfire has what he had before we wed, which is a small house full of chests. Dragonfire has always told me I am at liberty to do whatever I wish with the contents of the chests, as long as I let him know if any of the contents run low.

"He supplies the needy out of them sometimes. Some of the contents are his personal supply, so he keeps them ready to use, like reagents. He often uses such to go to rescues, and so on, which are often emergency calls. Running low on supplies would be bad. Some of the chests have rare finds in them. He keeps them more out of sentiment, though I know he would let me have them. They would decorate a larger house, if we owned one, but then perhaps they would be vanity items. Trophies for us to display."

She shrugged. "Perhaps these things are better left within the trunks. We sleep in my little house, which is where we also take our meals, when we are not taking them within the Burning Heart buildings." A smile played on her lips. "We sometimes take picnics."

Meldryn reached up slowly to her face, moving strands of hair away from her eyes as she shifted uncomfortably. "I wonder if he knows what marriage is about, Fireangel. It seems to me that you are left alone too much. I don’t know how he lets himself be parted from you for such lengths of time. You should be cherished,...and spoiled more, I think. If anything, I think you indulge your vanity too little."

"Oh, for heaven’s sake, Meldryn. You speak of my marriage when you know little of it, or of me, or of Dragonfire. Keep your hands to yourself, please. No offense."

He chuckled. "You were going to look at something in your pack. Don’t let me stop you."

She dug in her pack, taking out the bag from Lord Kelso. She looked inside. It was full of reagents and gold. "Oh, my word. That man is crazy." She shook her head in disbelief.
    Meldryn leaned over the bag. She showed him the contents. He gave a low whistle, and smiled at her. "Where did this come from?"

"Lord Kelso."

Meldryn looked smug. "He’s taken with you as well, Fireangel."

She frowned at him. "Nonsense. Lord Kelso said I was the one who had first shown him Britannia, the shops, the shrines and so on. I like to do that for people. I had forgotten I had done so for him when he was new here. He heard me say I was low on both reagents and gold, and insisted I let him help me out, since I had helped him out, and was his friend."
    "I’m surprised you let him. Good for you. Why did you, Fireangel?"

"He kept insisting, and then when he told me about my help to him when he was new, that won me over to the idea, I suppose. I know if it were me wishing to give back, I would want the blessing of giving. I just didn't want to look at what was in the pack until I was alone." She shrugged. "Well, sort of alone."

"Thank you for sharing such an intimate moment with me. You are a very open person, I must say."

She laughed heartily. "I try to be just that, Meldryn. Do not get the wrong impression when I am so open. I am the same to females and males, old and young."

"I imagine you may get taken advantage of, My Lady. I would advise more caution."

Fireangel was more comfortable with him now, and looked at him easily. "Ah, but I am without caution on purpose, Meldryn. I am not innocent. No, nor naive. I have been through much already, in Life, and have made a decision.

"The choice was before me to become cynical or to love, unconditionally. I have chosen to love, though I am sure to be hurt. When others call upon me for aide, I shall take a weapon and defend them with my life. But when I am alone, when it is between my soul and the Lord, then I choose to walk empty-handed to my enemy."

He looked at her oddly. "I am not sure what you mean, Fireangel."

She smiled softly at him. "Well, you, for instance, Meldryn. You may mean harm to me, to my marriage, to my personal virtue. That is the idea you put across. It gives good people the worst ideas about you. Cernus will give you a fair chance, but he has a bad feeling about having you around."

"Cernus is of no concern to me. I mean him nor anyone harm. What of you, Fireangel? What do you think of me?"

"I am not sure of you yet, Meldryn, but --" She laughed suddenly, remembering something, and stood up with her pack. "I’ll be switched. I do get distracted sometimes."

"What?"

"Walk with me, if you will, Meldryn. Let’s go down to the main room again."

"Why? I was enjoying our talk. Stay."

She laughed. "I can’t. I told Hugh and Cernus I wouldn't be alone with you, and here I am, doing the thing I said I wouldn't, and on the same day."

"Hugh said not to be alone with me?"

"Hugh said for me to be careful or,...well, he said you were a ladies' man."

"Careful or what?"

"I’m going to walk down to the main room. If you walk with me, I’ll answer you."

"This is a conversation I would rather keep private. What harm am I doing to you? So much for being empty handed with an enemy."

"No, we don’t have to be within earshot of others, Meldryn, but I don’t want to ignore Hugh and Cernus, either."

He frowned. "Very well, but I am treated rudely by you again in this. Let me carry your pack for you. It’s too heavy. You carry too much for your frame. You’ll hurt yourself."

"I apologize, Meldryn, if you feel ill-treated. I’m trying to compromise. You’re right about my pack. I’ll take some items out today, I promise. Thank you for carrying it."

He linked her arm through his. "You’re forgiven, if I can keep you to myself for awhile. Let us finish our conversation." They reached the main hall of the Tower, and it was empty. "Are you going to say we must go looking for the others before you can talk to me?"

She giggled, feeling silly. "No. This is public enough. People can walk in and out of here all day long. If we sit over in this corner, we should be able to be out of earshot from either the front doors or the hall or the stairs, so long as we’re not loud."

He set her pack down on a little table beside her, and scooted his chair closer. "You first started to say you weren't sure of me yet."

She nodded. "I’m not, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt, as I do to all, until you actually do something mean or dishonest, or whatever. Until then, you are a white knight upon a shining horse to me, with unknown flaws, as we all have."

He smiled. "I shall ever strive to be so to you, Fireangel. Hugh said to be careful of what?"
    "Oh,..." She blushed. "careful, or you would,...steal a kiss."

He chuckled. "Oh. I already stole one from your hand. What did you say to Hugh when he cautioned you?"

"I said you had better not."

"Would you slap me?"

"Yes."

"Would you hate me?"

"Hate is too strong. God doesn't allow us to hate."

"So, you would continue to love me, but be angry for awhile?"

"I suppose, though it sounds funny, the way you put it."

He chuckled. "You would forgive me?"

"For my part, yes. You have to be sorry to really be forgiven."

"I don’t think I would be sorry. No. I’m sure I would not be sorry."

"Pffft. I would no longer be open with you, nor trust you, nor have this private of a conversation with you. Dragonfire,...I’m not sure how angry he would get."

"Dragonfire is of no concern to me. However, your coldness would be a great tragedy. I would already miss you. I will not risk it, Fireangel. Your lips are safe for now. Unless,..."
    "Unless what?" Her eyes went wide.

"Unless you ask me for a kiss, or make me know you want me to kiss you."

"I will not. I am married."

"Happily married, Fire?"

She hesitated. "We have our ups and downs, as all marriages do, but I am content."

"No, then. I would be sure you were more than content, Fire, if I were your husband. I would seldom be parted from you. I would indulge your little vanities, for I no longer believe that your character could be spoiled. Your character is one of the finest I have come across, Fire. I would see that your dreams to help people would be supported, along with whatever other dreams you have. I imagine you have many fine ideas. I would treat you like a queen."

She looked down. Tears threatened to sting her eyes, and she would not allow it. She felt as if she were shown little kindness in the world, and it pulled at her emotions. It upset her when people showed, or seemed to show, great kindness toward her, for she didn't trust it. It was not something she had regularly experienced in Life. Kindness could easily reduce her to tears.

Meldryn was trying to decipher her odd expression. "I did not mean to offend you, Fireangel. I apologize."

"No." She shook her head negatively. "You didn't. I was just thinking suddenly of many things all at once. The important thing is, Meldryn, that I am married. I take marriage vows very seriously. I don’t believe in divorce. If a divorce occurs, I don’t believe in remarriage unilaterally. I believe the Scripture tells us that we are married to that person until that person dies, or we do."

"You judge those who remarry, Fire?"

"No, Meldryn." She sighed. "I judge myself. I read in the Scripture that one who divorces commits adultery, and the causes their spouse to commit adultery."

"God can’t forgive a person who gets divorced?"

"Yes. However, to be forgiven, you must repent. Repent means you stop sinning, and turn away from that sin. But if you are divorced, and marry another, then every day you wake up, perhaps you are still sinning. At the least, a divorce and a remarriage must be done at the utmost need."

"But if they divorce again, isn't the sin getting worse?"

"I don’t know. I think if you can not get divorced — except in the case of adultery — it’s the best situation. And I think if you wind up getting divorced, you should really try to avoid falling in love with another person, if possible."

"It sounds like you’re not sure about any of it, Fire."

"No, I’m sure of my opinion, Meldryn. I’m sure of my understanding of Scripture. But I also know we are human. I am human, and I am not perfect. I’m susceptible to getting fed up at some point and getting a divorce, though I hope that will never happen. I’m susceptible to falling in love again, if it happened. And if a person falls in love, I’m well aware how difficult it is not to be intimate. If you cannot control your desire, it is better to marry than to burn. I understand all of that, sure."

Meldryn tried to play with her fingers, and smirked when she withdrew them. "I have a question to ask you."

"Go ahead."

"What of Christians who believe differently about some Scripture than you do, Fire? What if they see their interpretation as clearly as you see yours, and it differs from your ideas? Do you still consider them as much of a Christian as you are?"

"Yes, as long as they have God’s Son as their Savior."

"I do. Yet I see that interpretations regarding marriage may not be as strict as you see them. I see the letter of the Law as less important that the Spirit of the Law. I see God’s forgiveness and mercy as something greater than any of us comprehend. I don’t think that one sin can keep us out of heaven, if we have the Savior, whether it’s the sin of ignorance, or a purposeful sin. There’s another thing to consider as well. If you married Dragonfire, expecting him to be different, why is that? Did he present himself as something other than what he now is?"

"No. I think that is all on me, if I am dissatisfied. If anything, I would say I didn't get to know him well enough before I let my passions plunge me into a romantic relationship. Dragonfire cautioned me against him. He said I was more pious than he deserved, and it endeared him to me."

"Yet he leaves you alone most days?"

"It isn't that, Meldryn. He would stay, if I asked him. It is that he enjoys helping others, as I do, and others often call for his help, so he goes. I could say tomorrow, Limit the dungeons to one day per week, for example, and I know he would."

"You want him to want to be with you by his own idea."

She smiled softly. "Sure. I could also go to the dungeons with him, and it would make him happy. He has said so."

"You hate the dungeons."

"Yes. I don't mind going rarely, for a reason."

"What is your main dissatisfaction in marriage, Fire?"

"I would ideally have my husband worship with me in an assembly of others, and do work together for the Lord. Secondly, I would continually be in a romance with my husband."
    "He doesn't worship with you?"

"Never. He never wishes to pray or worship together. I didn't expect that. He said he believed in God, His Son, the Bible, then I assumed the rest, you see. So, shame on me."

"One would assume that, Fire. He just wanted you to assume it, I think."

She shrugged. "I should have gotten to know him better first. At times he says things that are opposite of what I believe, and he relies on human reasoning more than Scripture. Sometimes his humor is,...not appropriate, you know, things like that. These are not things to be getting a divorce over. We have nice times, too."

"Fewer as time goes by, from the sound of it. The honeymoon is over?"

"Perhaps it will come back. It’s not that he doesn't try. It is that I am,... disappointed in our every day life, and so I’m not so enthusiastic now. He is gone more often. I don’t miss him as much. All he would have to do is take God more seriously, and we could be like newlyweds again. That’s not something he wants to do right now. God does work miracles, though, and it could turn around."

Meldryn nodded. "You are a pious woman, Fireangel. You need a husband who will pray with you, and lead you in worship of God. What about children, Fire? If there ever was a woman made to bear children, you have the body for it.

She blushed. "Meldryn, for heaven's sake. Don't say things like that. And no, Dragonfire does not want any children. That's another thing I was stupid enough to assume, and not find out about before we married. I have children in the earthly realm by another marriage, but here, with Dragonfire, I shall never bear any."

Meldryn cursed. "He is an idiot. You should have children, and many."

She stood up. "I’m not staying if you’re going to talk like that. Don’t think I am attracted to a man who would break up a marriage."

"Please sit down, Fireangel. I’m all for marriage, just not people going through the motions, willing to stay in a false marriage. It sounds to me like Dragonfire tricked you into believing he’s a Christian, when he really isn’t. Maybe you could have it annulled."

She picked up her pack. "No, I couldn’t. I wouldn’t. I took vows. I’ll keep them. Listen, I’m going to the bank and getting some of the heavy things out of my pack, like you suggested. Then I’m going home for the evening. It’s been good getting to know you, Meldryn, even if we disagree on things."

"I’ll go too. I need to get into my bankbox. Don’t stop talking to me, Fire. You’re my new favorite person in the world." He chuckled.

6. Gabriel Nightshadow

Fireangel: Pretty amazing adventures you had back in your Ultima Online days! I do hope your Shroud of the Avatar experience proves to be equally satisfying :D

7. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  8. Gabriel Nightshadow

Jambo and Fireangel like this.
  9. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

You are very kind to say so, Gabriel Nightshadow. I 'like' all stories, and have read and 'liked' yours, as well.

10. Crusader of Sacrifice

You are a very good person, I hope to find a wife as good as you someday.

Perhaps you should start a new Burning Hearts guild in Shroud of the Avatar? I would be happy to join.

Oh yeah. If it is not to intrusive. What is your favorite virtue?

11. Crusader of Sacrifice

Look! I found a picture of you. ^_^b

[​IMG]

Well, actually, Oakwind found it. But, it looks like an accurate representation of Fireangel in Ultima Online. A female knight in armor with a rose. ^_^b

Edit: And red hair.

12. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

:oops: *cough*

[​IMG] Thanks. *ahem* In my opinion, there's really no such thing as a 'good' person, but that's another subject. I am not, nor was I ever, the leader of that guild. My favorite Virtue? That's difficult to answer, as in my mind, they are all intertwined. I was a member and a leader of the Hand of Compassion in the old guild, as it allowed a more practical outlet for me to help others in a way that was more of a fit for me than being in battles all the time, like the members of our Hand of Valor, for example. Not that we didn't sometimes help in the battles; we did.

13. Gabriel Nightshadow

Fireangel: I really like the idea of different parts of a guild focusing on different roles (combat vs. support), thereby giving its members a choice based on their interests and strengths :) Apparently, not all guilds do that...

14. Crusader of Sacrifice

New game, new leader?

I like the idea of that too. Guild members focusing on different parts of the virtues. It let's people work with what they want best.

Edit: That bunny is cute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.