Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Armor limitations in SoTa

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Phenom Ill Il IlI l, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

Phenom Ill Il IlI l Avatar

From the City in the sky and house of Legend's
    I really liked how the Margery and armor worked together in UO. I think that paladin should be able to wear both heavy armor and cast without fail with the necessary skill level. But from what I see so far in SoTA armor limitations limit your magical abilities more so than your skill level.

And in UO unlike here they limited this build by less mana regeneration rather than fizzle chance. "now with that said, only some magic could be used with heavy armors without having to remove your non-mage armor peices of armor or weapons: example chivary" I must note as well that the heavy armors could also be "mage armor" or medable which negated these penalties. Which was a mod that one could rarely find on loot drop or by crafting with runic tools one had a chance to obtain this mod.

And with the extra effort and cost it made these pieces more rare and added much diversity to the crafting side of the game and even more so the market on such items.

So basically you could get the additional resist's without penalty but at great cost and little chance of getting that perfect piece but when you did it was a milestone.

I might like to add that it was with these type items that kept materials from being stock piled and kept even the rich always circulating their wealth around in search of the perfect pieces for a notable suit of armor.

Plus you had to complete crafting quests to obtain runic tool's so it gave even more game to the crafters.

I really wish that this is one thing in SoTA that they would pull from the UO as it was a very amazing set up and worked so so so well. "Runic's and Mage armor"

2. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

Clarification: medable armors = light armor such as cloth and leather and certain weapon classes
    Mage armor = heavy armor and weapons outside your typical weapon classes to be med able and able to use along side magery without your usual penalties with this mod on it.

3. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

Maybe I am looking at this wrong but to me it was Ultima Online's great crafting and item system and runic system that really set it in a realm of it's own. It released in 97 and it still holds peoples attention. The fact that there is such a diverse system that one can continue to craft and collect items that are usually never the exact same, over years and continue to mold your avatar into what you want.

because for me the really rare items and rare craftables that takes months to obtain is what keeps you trying and farming and grinding. It really is gambling at its best! You might get lucky and you might not. If you have a simple system it gets just that in a hurry "Simple = boring"

4. Sciamano

Sciamano Avatar

One thing you might not be aware of is that certain magic trees have reduced/no fizzle even while in armor. For example healing touch is 0% fizzle, ever. Tree's such as earth/water have reduced penalties.

I believe they plan on implementing some things such as what you are talking about but they just haven't gotten to that stage yet. What these "rare" echants/mods/etc are we don't know yet but the crafting system surely will be a huge pull into this game the issue is getting a lot of things such as combat worked out a bit more before tossing more types of armor into the mix.

By all means keep chatting about the things you love about UO just don't get discouraged because they aren't in the game yet because they plan on doing a lot of fun things for crafters it just isn't the first priority yet.

EMPstrike likes this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

In my opinion, making Mage armors may add diversity to Crafting, but it creates somethign overpowered.

The benifit of wearing heavy armor in THIS game is thatit gives you great proection, and great strength. Adding hit-poitns and survivability and supplimenting a melee lifestyle. Also, at the moment, it is extremely difficult for melee to bust through a suit of full platemail.

If mages could use platemail, noone would be a fighter. Currently in game, mages very noticably out-damage melee and there is very little protection agaisnt it. Adding mage armor stats to heavy armor would create a "use or die" class, and limit diversity.

ANd like sciamano said, Earth, water, and some of the lwoer tiers of the other spells trees allow you to cast very well in heavy armor.

6. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

The real question is, what is wrong with the metal in New Britannia? Why does the metal in New Britannia prevent the use of magic? Because that is what it is really doing, right? Is there Lore behind that, some reason that metal in New Britannia prevents the flow of magic from one's person outward?

Captain Jack wonders why!

From the experience that all of the Devs have, they would surely not just say: Mages OP with Plate so Plate = fizzle. That would just be crazy with all of the experience they have, Captain Jack think that isn't the case. There needs to be a reason. Like, what, magic is made from magnetic fields and the plate armour changes the field when it is on your body?

If there is no reason that metal in New Britannia prevents magic use from story/lore then it is simply an un-developed part of the testing process. There must be more to come. In 2015 you can't say, Mages OP with Plate so Plate = fizzle. You just can't.

Thus, what will happen will be much more logical. Plate will only end up affecting stats. It is heavy, you need strength, so you must be strong. If you are not strong, then your melee combat effectiveness will not be as good, you wont be able to carry as much with Plate on, you can't swim. Limiting things like that will be input on Plate, and if a Wizard wears plate, he takes a risk for other reasons, won't be OP, and won't have a silly fake fizzle modifier applied to him.

Trust Captain Jack, that can't happen with a new game in 2015/16 from experienced Devs, simply won't ever be an issue. You watch!

7. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

actually I think what would be a better solution would be a wider ability of modding armors, for example lets say you are a mage but you like having higher defense than a normal cloth mage at the sacrifice of a little mana regen for example, then lets allow armor fizzle reduction via an enchant for example, the same can go the other way as well, a person wearing cloth armor could mod their armor for added defense, this system would allow for a much wider variety of playstyles, rather than pidgeonholing everyone into one build and one build only.

also another suggestion I have is that we make a costume tab that allows players to wear their favourite party dress or their favourite swashbuckler outfit over the top of their armor, so they can actually look their best, and still wear their armor of preference as well.

for example lets say I buy that riding outfit from the store, I would certainly be disappointed if I wasnt able to enjoy it at all times even when out fighting bad guys

Phenom Ill Il IlI l and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.