How Oculus Rift will Change the World Beyond Gaming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Caveloot.com Owner, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stile

stile Avatar

Last I looked we are getting fairly close to that 2.5 million stretch goal, so Oculus rift is getting closer. Not to mention I know we have some cross kickstarter's from Star Citizen. I don't think its something im personally really excited about as a player and I know many feel that way. I've also heard they may be restructuring the stretch goals a little bit (not sure how accurate that is just something I've seen a few people say). Bottom line though, it could relate to SotA so figure I should share info I come across on it. So here's a new article from IGN - The title is their article title. Go see their article here:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...ly_17559_949131_949241&utm_content=1125869862

2. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Thanks for the link to the article. Here's the link to the forum poll about this stretch goal...

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...re-you-a-fan-or-do-you-have-other-ideas.2240/

I'm happy to believe that technology will continue to change the world. How fast or in what form though is a real question. I always go back the fact that Oculus is only the latest in a long line of virtual reality tech. Adoption has been slow. I may be weird, but there's some tech I hope never becomes standard. For example, I still prefer seeing movies in 2D despite the new rush of 3D recently. Apparently a lot of other people do too because 3D movies are only a fraction, and there is usually still a 2D option.

jayd likes this.
  3. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I don't like 3d movies either. I've found that if you are the type that wears glasses, the plastic 3d lenses tend to give you a headache.
    I will likely change my tone once there are true 3d immersive films released for devices like the Rift...

For now, though, I'm going to wait until the second or third generation comes out before plopping down several hundred dollars for what amounts to a 3d-games-only monitor. Can't help being excited, however.

4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I'd rather see the money spent towards the development of the game. Just my opinion. Maybe OR support with the 2nd or 3rd sequel.

5. Ome

Ome Avatar

I think its gonna change things beyond what we can imagine if they can ever get past the motion sickness. One thing I've thought maybe possible, once its high enough resolution.
    Maybe you could simulate the experience of sitting in a movie theatre and watching a big screen. Perhaps one day, be inside a movie
    like the holodeck. Or imagine playing a strategy game where the game is rendered on a virtual table in front of you. So when you look around
    the world map, you just turn head like your look around a table. It would be like watching little soldiers run around kitchen table.

6. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

7. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Hopefully in our lifetime, but I doubt it! (Kinda depends how old you are I guess!)

Ome likes this.
  8. Ome

Ome Avatar

I got a feelin within the next few years. I more wondering if I'll be around when there's a base on mars. That's a reality T.V. show I'll
    be watching.

9. knoxiTV

knoxiTV Avatar

Products like the Oculus Rift and the Virtuix Omni are going to change the perception of gaming to be more about the immersion and the experience; and beyond the adaption of current games will create a huge market between what we know as games and what books once called interactive fiction (expect the movie industry to try and have some involvement). VR technology is in a good place right now, but it will both become more available and it's growth stunted when the next next generation of consoles likely adopt proper VR implemented technology (because they deliberately slow down R&D to maximise return on investment) - unless the current VR market prudently steps up and secures a complete home solution with industry support (fingers crossed).

As for SotA, the OR in a primarily third person relatively low fi game is a bit gimmicky. The Rift is best placed for delivering unique previously uncharted experiences or high fidelity ones (like Squadron 42 and Star Citizen). It is also surprisingly easy to configure the OR to work with a mouse driven look system, and Unity is already poised to adapt well to Rift technology, which makes me wonder what the stretch goal is paying for.

Unless SotA has plans to go above and beyond with Rift integration, slapping it onto a game is likely going to feel very much like a tech demo (probably one of MANY over the next few years) and not a fully fledged feature... and therefore doesn't seem worth the financial investment. I guess in the end it depends on the definition of "Full VR treatment", but does anyone want full VR treatment on a game that might also be playable on a tablet?

10. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

As someone that bought the Cyberman (http://incolor.inebraska.com/bill_r/logitech_cyberman.htm) back in the day, as well as stood in line for the Wii, I am excited for these technologies, but very little to these things because mainstream as there are limitation on use. The OR will probably get better support that the Cyberman did, but even the Wii lost out on many good games because there was little option to play without motion controls. There will always be people that CAN'T use these technologies (motion sickness, etc.), so how well adopted they get will be is an important question. Maybe in the next 10 years when TV's and monitors are replaced and glasses/helmets are not required, but until then I don't think this will be a big market.

I think this stuff is cool and don't have an issue with it being supported, but its really something for the 1% right now.

11. Ome

Ome Avatar

Sota might be interesting in 3rd person having the ability of turning your view independent of character as if its a little person
    in front of you on a table or moving head forward or back getting closer or further from character, eliminating any feeling
    of being tied to the control or view of the game. Or looking around overworld map as a map on a table. Even if it ends up just worthy of tech demo will
    still be one more neat thing to look at with new pair of oculous rift. From what I hear, developers will have a lot of marks to meet
    in terms of preventing motion sickness.

I forgot the word for it. But if it gets high res enough. Imagine being about to walk around your room and see everything in your room. With the game board at a certain spot in your room in 3d. Or at least being able to see around game to see keyboard, mouse, monitor and stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.