Lord British tells us about "The Sword"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lazarus Long, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scruffycavetroll

scruffycavetroll Avatar

*clears throat*...pay to win *runs away*

Tahru and Sir Dorham Isycle like this.
  2. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

Yeah, and its not like the sword is more powerful than anything we all can make.

3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

LOL, well this is America and not the PRC. I don't know anywhere in our society where it isn't "pay to win". ;)

TheMadHermit, 4EverLost and Tahru like this.
  4. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I'm gonna cast my moderator badge aside for a moment.

Favoritism? Pay-2-Win? Nah, I don't see that.

I see pre-alpha testing. I see developer/player interaction like I have never seen before. I see community members sacrificing their personal time to test SotA. I see the development team caring so much about the community that they sacrifice their own time to spend a while in-game, participating in community run events, thanking community members for their efforts helping to test their game.

I also see opportunity on two fronts for every player out there:
    • We all will have the ability in the live release to loot weapons and armor hand crafted by LB. Or, if one prefers, something crafted by DS, Chaox, Gorn, etc.
    • We all will have the ability to seed the initial release loot table by crafting weapons, armor, and other items that will bear our name.
    I see this as the first step to providing that crafting system to all players.

5. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Koldar I couldn't agree more. I know Ezekiel has his detractors as I'm sure others have some as well.
    I have been a long time fan of Lord British's games and have most of them to this day.

I gotta say that bring part of this and seeing the Devs do things like this in game are like nothing I have ever seen before and will probably never see again.

Unless it's another Lord British Production :)

L. Long

6. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

It's not like Darkstarr made a scythe or anything

Of course its favoritism, we are BMC, *runs & hides*

7. Albus

Albus Avatar

I like the idea that Lord British was in the game, doing something an r/p'er might have done if they'd had Lord British as their character, spontaneously involving himself in the event which was about crafting by crafting something himself, and then sharing it with the locals who organized the event. I could see a character I play doing just the same thing (assuming whoever organized the event actually wanted something I had crafted :p ). I'd encourage Lord British to do more of the same thing, again spontaneously or in keeping with r/p and not feeling like he has to run around handing something out to everyone in a balanced way, personally. I'd rather he do as he did with this event - something fitting with the event in question. I definitely don't want LB to feel like he has to now have offerings everywhere he goes. If I'm not mistaken, he even used materials provided him by the hosts, so they really ended up with nothing of material advantage at all?

I see this incident as benefiting lore far more than promoting any guild or individual, and allowing LB the freedom to participate in the LB universe as he likes, when he likes. I stumbled by the event and witnessed part of it myself, it was fun having LB involved and doing things and that is the sum of it as far as I am concerned, I really hope he feels free to attend future events without any expectations that he perform circus tricks or hand out goodies, but to add to the scene with his presence and r/p alone. If he happens to make something any other player could have made because he wants to or it fits the situation, well great. If the legend of LB's crafted sword follows the guild hosting the event around fine, again I like the colour added the story, and I'm sure LB's deeds and appearances will add to the stories of other groups, guilds and even individuals that encounter him similarly.

But please let's not turn LB into a prizegiving machine rather than another player (if a special one fitting the LB universe, of course ;)

And cudos to all groups and individuals putting stuff together for the community and r/p at large, by the way :D

Nikko, 4EverLost, Asclepius and 4 others like this.
  8. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I think that the more the devs want to give to the community the better, and refusing their interaction with the world and their player-base would be tragic. I enjoy the thought that we all may be gazing upon a Lord British or Darkstarr or Lum the Mad made weapons. That's Exciting! Tbh, I was overly excited for the BMC and congratulated Ezekiel on a job well done. Instead of preventing cooperative play with the devs, we should be garnering it, cherishing it, and promoting it. :)

9. Leffy

Leffy Avatar

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods.

Lazarus Long and Tahru like this.
  10. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

Unless stealing is your chosen character template... :)

Spoon, Lazarus Long and 4EverLost like this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I was not jealous about the sword, but it would be nice to have as a trophy. It is great that this kind of thing exists here.

It seems like too many people claim favorites on just about everything and it only hurts everyone else to say that. I went from a basic pledge to a high one and nothing has changed besides more pledge rewards.

People get special treatment for making as difference or being in the right place at the right time.

If it's so important, be more active. Being a part of dev+ helps a little just because of increased information exposure and opportunities to add input.

12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm not buying into the pay to win comments or the favouritism comments.

All I would say is that creating an item within Alpha that will be worth $$$ on a future rares market, and then allowing a player to have that item rather than running a true player event where each player has a chance of obtaining that item (even if there is only 1), is just wrong and very disappointing.

If that sword is to stay in game, it's should form part if the deco within an NPC building.

13. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

The BMC intends to petition the DEVS to make the actual sword OR the sword that Lord British returns to replicate a static item to be on display with a commemorative plaque in the town square of the NPC capitol city which so that everyone that visits can find the sword and read the history of it?

I have no intentions of relinquishing the original or the commemorative replica to fall into hands that will take it to market. It became an ultra-rare the moment that LB struck the hammer and I know that just as much as anyone. But... I also know that as ultra-rare as it is, that it fell into the most responsible hands that it could have ever fell in...

This guild... this guild leader... WILL do the right thing insofar as this legendary item, and what's more... The people of lands will know that the right thing was done to preserve this most precious of relics and honor it's maker and the people's that it represents...

The BMC knows what it has... The BMC also knows that it is too precious for any one player to possess. It belongs to the people.

14. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I can see future EBAY postings now.

The ORIGINAL Virtually Signed Lord British sword from Shroud of the Avatar! The only one in existence!
    Buy it Now
    $1,000,000.00 USD.

Tahru likes this.
  15. Yavrashu

Yavrashu Avatar

It's great, every time :D

Tahru likes this.
  16. Barnabas Znick

Barnabas Znick Avatar

It's pixels in a game. Some of you are terrible...

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think this whole "some of you is terrible" posts are misreading what people are saying. My post earlier in the thread wasn't about limiting or telling him not to give things out, it was about spreading it out so it does not come across like he is favoring a guild or person. It's not about jealousy and it isn't about trying to get him to gift everyone.

It's about perception.

People will see it and wonder if these players are getting a leg up in a game and it could have concerning affects on the community as a whole.

By all means interact with community get out there, but it can't always be the same people.

I'm not saying he is playing favoritism...and definitely don't think it's pay to win. I just don't want it to get to a point where the community gets divided over perception issues, he isn't a player and has a different level of scrutiny on what he does. I guess you could say he is a public figure almost like a politician in the game.

Jatvardur, Darlok Brimstone and Tahru like this.
  18. Bamrak

Bamrak Avatar

Frankly, the devs can't win.. They don't participate and they are uncaring. They participate in an event and lb makes a sword, the same exact sword that the guild made for people for free... The same weapon they taught people how to make. Favoritism? When is the last time you or your guild put forth effort to unite the community by doing something similar to BMC? I'm glad he is making appearances and visiting players. This play to win nonsense is nonsense.

19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Good job on ignoring what I wrote:)

20. Bamrak

Bamrak Avatar

There were more posts in the thread than yours I do believe :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.