Why I Feel Disconnected From Shroud... And Still Can't Persuade Others

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nemo Herringwary, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Nemo -

Please post more.

Thank you.

- Everyone who appreciates a good, well written post.

Tahru and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am just going to say that, although well worded, the posts are too darn long. They are so long that its hardly worth discussing them, since it would require breaking everything into tiny pieces. A great linguist uses the fewest words necessary to make a point. Not that I could do any better, that is for sure.

3. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

I've never bought that... Though, from the length of some of my posts, you probably could've guessed that already. lol. But seriously, I've never been able to wrap my head around somebody complaining that a forum post is too long. That just reflects poorly upon the complainer, as if he's too lazy to read the entire post, or lacks the requisite attention span. No disrespect intended, Tahru.

I mean, heck, he did the hard part - writing the post. If they're too long, I guess my only suggestions is to learn to skim.

Should the story in SotA be pared down to the bare minimum? Should dialogue that might not be entirely critical to the story be cut out? At what point to we stop de-valuing the written word? Sorry, I'm going to stop here, I'm going off on a tangent as it is. Just a pet peeve of mine, as it hits close to home for me.

4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

It is all in what you're taught. In business, people only skim... first sentence, last sentence. So writing a lot is not rewarded. What I do at work is keep it 3 or so sentences or if I need to explain more, toss in a table or some pictures. People love pictures at all levels.

Entrappedmind likes this.
  5. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Oh, I know that's how it is in business. This... Ain't business. I mean, we're discussing a game that is story-heavy (text), involves a lot of role-playing (text), touts player-written books as a selling point (text), uses typed dialog (text)..... Y'see where I'm going with this? :)

PS: Thank you for not taking offense at my prior post. It would have been very easy for you to intentionally misinterpret what I said as a personal attack, and you did not. I appreciate that.

Tahru likes this.
  6. Womby

Womby Avatar

Yeah, I see that as akin to trying to get me to try out Scientology. Why? What's the point? Why are they even trying?

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

ahhh and I enjoyed reading the long post., but that is from one long poster to another, sometimes you just have a lot to say and am passionate about it. I love reading every word the Devs say , infact sometimes I read them more than once. I'm
    sorry there I am sound snooty again so sorry guys:cool:

oops edited to make more sense

DavenRock [MGT] and Tahru like this.
  8. Valdric

Valdric Avatar

It's pre-Alpha.

Long way to go.

I'm sure you're frustrations have been duly noted, though.

Kaisa and Tahru like this.
  9. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

I've been away from the forums a few days (far too much going on in real life) but I think with the new Update #113 a lot of questions have been answered, so I'm going to abandon this thread to write up a suggestion that came from them. Thank you all to those who appreciated what I was trying to say, and even those who challenged it in constructive ways...

Themo Lock and Tahru like this.
  10. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

I dont understand the mentallity of following something like Ultima 3 4 or whatever for an online game, it would have made WAY more sense to create a spiritual successor to Ultima Online in an ONLINE game, rather than the spiritual successor to something that looks like it was pulled out of a stasis chamber 50 years later

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Depends on where the spirit is coming from. IF the gameplay was the desired recreation then SoTA is not the spiritual successor.

In the case of SotA, spiritual successor comes in several locations, but it really boils down to a living world with a robust story where the player's actions matter.

The Ultima series had several ways of delivering this. UO did also, but it leaned heavily on the moral system. UO did not bring the robust story.

Tahru likes this.
  12. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

All I know is they need to add more content to PvM, I've fought the same monsters for the past 6 releases, can someone explain why it is so difficult to add new creatures? I completely refuse to fight Spiders/elves for hours and hours at a time anymore. I'm no "developer" by any means but it can't be that hard to add simple monsters to the game, there is no drive for me to continue to farm over and over the same thing for 5 releases in a row. I understand there are a lot of important things to add to the game, but isn't this one very important thing?

13. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Building and rigging the models for monsters takes time.
    Also, if you don't like grinding, don't grind.

14. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

Yeah, and they don't have any time to do this within a year?

I play for the PvP there is no way to level without grinding, no one wants to fight the same monsters release after release... Hire someone that works on just building monsters, it isn't like the community hasn't already made a ton...

I'm glad you're happy sitting in owls head day in and day out crafting, but that isn't what everyone is looking for.

Thanks for the much needed advice at the end of your little comment coin master.

15. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

They have three people, I think, that work on monsters, and I think they're the same folks that work on characters, and pets, and everything else that moves.
    Give them the money to hire more, and I bet they'll consider it.

It's not a game yet. We're still testing.

I don't sit in Owl's Head all day. I play about two hours per release. I check out new stuff, and look for problems. Then I put it away until the next release.
    I don't like grinding, so I don't grind.

I'm curious. Do you get experience points for PvP, or just monsters?

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  16. Floors

Floors Avatar

It's easy to forget this. Next release we're on Unity 5 and the Novia map. The game will be different.

There are a ton of people playing, even in the alpha state. That's a real good sign. Just be patient.

If shroud gets continuous development over the next 5 years, I can see where it can get to.

Katrin Bekers [PeV] and Kaisa like this.
  17. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

It doesn't matter, people are going to get bored of testing the same thing over and over, people want to progress in the game even if it isn't a "game" yet just to get to the point they can test pvp, and I can assure you they don't want to fight the same monster for 6 releases. They need to add more content to the game, you think one day they are magically going to add 100's of new monsters to the game? They should start now to keep people interested. I know a lot of people that want to level their characters but tire quickly of fighting the same spawn over and over.. Theres only 2 monsters worth leveling on and thats spiders and elves.

Explain to me how you're going to test the pvp/spell/combat system if you're just too bored to level your character because it's the same thing release after release.

18. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

the fact that its not a game yet doesn't change the fact that you cant level up with out grinding out some monsters ...

Heavy Smoker likes this.
  19. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

Exactly but you can't explain this to people that get a joy from crafting hours on end. As soon as you try to explain something everyone jumps on the defense, it's actually pretty funny.

20. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

What game tester ever told you their job was exciting? Testing is, on the whole, a rather boring exercise - but ensuring the quality of the final result makes it worthwhile.

Considering the tight lid they've stated they intend to keep on the story itself, I'm surprised we've even got Elves (and Kobolds, and Satyrs). You're lucky we're not fighting "Placeholder" blobs for mobs whose art assets aren't finished, but are programmed. They can't really put out very many baddies without letting some of story slip.

If you're soloing Ghosts with one hand tied behind your back, while blindfolded, your argument might have more bearing... ;)

Let's just wait and see what R15, and Novia's mainland have in store for us, shall we?

Sir Frank and Kaisa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.