Why I Feel Disconnected From Shroud... And Still Can't Persuade Others

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nemo Herringwary, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

So you're telling me it is going to hurt the game to throw in a couple different mobs every release to keep people interested in leveling their characters in order to test the game? You guys just can't make a logical argument.

2. digriz

digriz Avatar

I'm hoping this thread doesn't get locked. Just sayin.

3. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

I'm not saying it would or wouldn't. I'm saying it's possible that their desire to keep the story secret may have something to do with the lack of enemy variety you're seeing. Nothing more, nothing less. What you're saying is that if they simply re-skinned a pack of Skeletons/Archers/Mages as Orcs/Slingers/Shamans, you'd be happy?

I guess what I am saying is the variety you're seeking is, at this point in the game, unnecessary. We have enemies to fit each tier of player growth (up to a point), nothing more is necessary for testing purposes. A variety of enemies are the sprinkles on a cake, where the story is the icing, and the game systems are the cake itself. You can't put the sprinkles on until the cake's done and iced, can you?

Tahru likes this.
  4. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

You fanboys will defend anything. Instead of spending your time trying to take jabs just agree that it would be nice to have something new to fight every now and then. I'm sure most can agree, just to keep things interesting. It doesn't have to have anything to do with "a story" they could add ANYTHING to fight, and it doesn't have to be anything crazy, just something to keep players interested in testing each release. From personal experience, and from being in big guilds active on Teamspeak/skype I know for a FACT people get tired/bored of fighting the same spawn, if people get tired of spawning, that means they don't level and test the combat/skill tree system. Thats my last argument.

Gaelis likes this.
  5. Archaon the Everchosen

Archaon the Everchosen Avatar

Blizzard makes billions re-skinning their mobs in many different shades of color....just saying.

Heavy Smoker and Tahru like this.
  6. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Well I guess SOTA should become the next WoW.

7. Valdric

Valdric Avatar

It is not about what you are fighting, it is how combat is resolving; how it is working and how it is not working. That is what is important right now.

C'mon guys, we are all paid testers here and we know it. These kinds of complaints sound really petty and short sighted, I am sorry.

8. Archaon the Everchosen

No, pointing out that is easy to make variety just by changing the color of a mob around and that seems to work for the most successful mmorpg too date. Seeing varies yellow , blue , red spiders is less boring then seeing just one brown spider all the time.

9. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

I hope that was sarcasm, lol.

10. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

I think that speaks more for the audience they're aiming for than anything else...

Sooooo... Elves and Spiders are too boring in their current incarnation, and your suggested solution is to re-hue them. Not change them, or anything like that. Just make 'em more colorful. Right?

*facepalm*

11. Archaon the Everchosen

I am not saying they change anything, just making a opinion that variety breaks the bleakness of seeing the same thing all the time. That is why video games have used re-skinning in many games for a very long time.

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

There's no point in downing something. Being negative isn't going to fix or create a damn thing. The deficiencies in the game are well known. We are playing so we can give some life to the game. Thats all the people I know playing this game do and I thank them for it.

majoria70 likes this.
  13. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Just because something is practically an industry standard (and I agree, what I quoted is correct) doesn't mean it's something you should do. This is one of the worst habits Devs have ever gotten into, in my opinion. Nothing ruins immersion more than slaughtering 50 Wraiths without breaking a sweat, but then getting massacred by one just because he happened to be purple, where the first 50 were grey.

14. Archaon the Everchosen

Well I guess it would help the player determine that the purple one is not to be messed with. Mmorpgs get their roots from table top rpgs, all you have to do is crack open a monster manual and you will see a whole variety of the same monster type in many different colors.

Heavy Smoker likes this.
  15. Floors

Floors Avatar

Lets be fair. A good tabletop game, run by an experienced GM, can reach heights and drama that computer games have not quite reached yet.

fattymoomooman likes this.
  16. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I disagree. If anything, the lack of real variety in many successful MMORPGs is what makes so many of them feel very vanilla. Simply changing the color of the spider is lazy. Is it less boring? Only if you don't have a strong variety of mobs to fight in the first place. If on the other hand, you are constantly facing different types of mobs then you won't be facing the brown spider all the time.

Heavy Smoker and fattymoomooman like this.
  17. Archaon the Everchosen

Different color of mobs is often use too make different environments in the game pop out and set a mood in players. Besides I don't quite understand why variety is immersion breaking if your going for realism considering the real world is full varies colors of the same animal or insect.

Heavy Smoker and fattymoomooman like this.
  18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I think the whole point is that this is pre alpha testing right now, not a real game. Sure later on have all kinds of colored mobs and such. But for now they are testing the systems, combat, economy, crafting. Its not even to beta yet.

19. Archaon the Everchosen

Imagination is a hard thing to emulate , tell we get holodecks.

20. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Honestly, I'd rather see black and brown (well I guess red also but you get my drift...) spiders in a game than violet purple or gold ones... Personal preference I guess. Less "cartoony".

Entrappedmind and fattymoomooman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.