confused and concerned

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rubyhorse2, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubyhorse2

Rubyhorse2 Avatar

i'm a bit confused and also concerned.

There are several game modes for SotA and having recently viewed a few videos it seems you can play the single player game, acquiring items and skills etc, then transfer all this over to the mutliplayer game.

now, this poses to issues for me.

1. whats to stop everyone just playing the single player to 'get rich' and then come to multiplayer to sell items
    2. wont this mess with the economy of the game for multiplayer?

if this continues into release i'm not sure its going to work very well.

majoria70 likes this.
  2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

1. Single player online and multi-player online share economies, so nothing would really stop somebody from harvesting in single player and selling. The same vendors with the same inventories exist for single and multi-player, so the player would not have to even enter multi-player to sell items.
    2. Your guess is as good as anybody's.

Budner likes this.
  3. Rubyhorse2

Rubyhorse2 Avatar

ahh ok so the single player economy is shared with multiplayer.

i just get the feeling it will be a lot easier to progress in single player mode, so most will choose this option, and only play multiplayer when they need to. it concerns me that the multiplayer side might suffer due to this.

majoria70 likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

2. No. Because we're all playing in the same shared world. Harvesting in single player is no different than multiplayer as you're harvesting from the same pool of resources. As well as selling into the same markets.

Single player online is basically multiplayer but forcing you into instances by yourself.

Now if the concern is safety from PvPers, you can have that in multiplayer as well.

Transferring anything between Offline and Online is simply not allowed. So nothing to worry about there.

Budner likes this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There are two different single player modes. Offline and Online.

In offline mode you can't effect anyone else. Here you can break/cheat/whatever but cannot transfer it to online economy.

In online you share the economy with everyone else. Since it is online all assets are checked against the server so cheating will be found and banned. Yes you can gather by yourself. But getting rich will not be easier. Since even though you see none else you share the server side instance so someone else could 'steal' your resources before you get to them. So you will not get 'more' because you are in single/friends online.

Nope. The devs are tracking output from scenes and can tweak those as necessary. If the output of a scene wiuld be higher in single/friends than multi then it will get nerfed and balanced. Same thing if the reverse would happen.

With the above and all others this will contribute to the economy, not detract from it.

Give me a list of explicit scenarios you fear and I could tell you how the devs have said they will counter that.

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Drat, Biwen sneaked in while I was writing mine.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Look at it this way. Anyone choosing single player (for whatever reason) isn't going to interact with other players. Meaning that play time they wouldn't really interact directly with other players even if they were in multiplayer. Might as well not be visible.. but in single player they can still interact with the markets so there's no economic drawback. They have the same effect on the world itself as anyone in multiplayer and will almost certainly be able to interact with people in indirect ways.. ie writing books, having a vendor, posting work orders etc.

It's actually someone interesting in single player to still be able to interact with those in multiplayer. You can still talk through the chat channels. Trade via containers. You can even party up right now. As I said, it's basically multiplayer but you're forced into private instances.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm practicing my proposed stealth design. ;)

Moiseyev Trueden and Spoon like this.
  9. Rubyhorse2

Rubyhorse2 Avatar

ok i think you have dispersed my initial fears.

what got me concerned was a video on youtube. Someone was playing single player and looting chests etc, crafting and selling to make gold. then going online and buying armour etc. They were saying how the chests would all be empty if was in multiplayer mode.

maybe it was an old video and this got changed?

10. Sir Frank

The short answer is that it was changed.
    Before resources were harvestable, there were chests around that spawned things for people to use.
    In multiplayer instances, the first people in emptied the chests, and everyone else was out of luck.
    In single player instances, the chests were stocked.

11. Falstaff

Falstaff Avatar

ive played in both, and i prefer online play. even tho im very anti-social. its nice to see someone running around from time to time. the world just feels empty in single player.

12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

A tip is to check out the build number in the top left corner when watching vids.
    Things are changing fast...

13. Sir Frank

Just for the record, offline play is not enabled, so nobody is doing that yet.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  14. Paranormal Haunting

Paranormal Haunting Avatar

Just wondering, what stops lets say bots ect from deciding to do everyone in single player online? They couldn't get caught and that could mess up the economy

15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

The devs have already stated that they are running checks against metrics they have established on the different scenes, and if they see a player (whether in SPO or MPO modes) who is consistently running contrary to those, they will be fairly certain that player is botting and can take steps to correct the situation.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Couldn't get caught by whom? I remind that PvP is completely consensual. If someone can use bots in single player they can do so just as easily in multiplayer.

Catching them is really behind the scenes work and I'm sure the devs have something in mind.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yes and no. XP is arguable and by extension so is loot. Remember that the game with split up the population in separate instances so how many spawns are available could just be a matter of finding the right spots in a very large world.

That said, groups can go places and survive that individuals can't. Groups also kill faster and more efficiently. Depending on how XP is handled it could easily mean more XP in multiplayer than in single player. More kills also means more loot.

If a group of 4 kills 5 times as much as a soloist.. that's more XP and loot for the group.

Budner likes this.
  18. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

He does that. He's stealthy.

EXP is split by 60% for every person in a group, so exp keeps giving out more for every mob killed (100%, 120%, 180%, etc). So though it is lowered per individual, it gives out more if grouped. Also, the speed of killing mobs increases so it can be farmed quicker (though repop times will limit certain farming aspects).

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I understand that thought. At first I played single player online a bit more, I think I was being a bit
    shy ;) I know hard to imagine lol. Anyway as mentioned the benefits to playing in SPO mode have
    been lessened. If a node is gone due to another player getting it in multi player online, it is gone in both modes and etc.

I apologize for having stayed out of the picture early on a bit and I am not doing that now. I will rarely go into SPO now and when I'm online I am up for adventuring or helping anyone
    so don't hesitate to ask and whisper me. A vibrant community can test this game the very best.;)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

If you are in a party of two, you get 600. I don't think it even keeps track of damage, you just have to be in the same scene/instance.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.