PvP zones and Flags?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Red2, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red2

Red2 Avatar

I don't see how you can have any open PvP with people hiding in safe zones and behind flags. You should have to choose PvP or PvE. Players will hide and PvE safely then only when they have all there best gear and 5 or 6 friends will they dare flag for PvP.

I'm also confused about why a closed fragmented world was chosen over an open world? In some places there is one or two entrances and exits. false walls and impassable areas.

Also this is labeled as an MMORPG but I never really see any other players. When I go to the bank in almost any town there is no one there. I know some games like to makes separate instances of the same area where a bunch players can stand in one spot and not see each other. Is that the case here?

Abydos likes this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

There are several ways you can PvP:
    1 - Dueling
    2 - Flagging
    3 - Entering a open PvP area

Many PvPers will flag as PvP, this means that another player flagged can attack them anywhere in the game. If you enter a PvP area you will be flagged for PvP regardless of whether you have a personal PvP flag on or off; there are several areas already set as open PvP such as the Brave Coast and Shardfalls. Going forward there will be more including player owned towns.

Part of the design of the game was to revive some of the classic RPG elements that you would see in the earlier Ultimas, part of this was the world map. From a design perspecitive it also allows additional content to be created and dropped into the game very quickly. The world map is still under development (like the rest of the game) and will have additional features such as moving quests/instances.

The game is technically 'selective' multiplayer (as well as single player etc)....although in its multiplayer mode, it may as well be an MMO. The main reason why you hardly see anyone is essentially that the game is in an Alpha state; not that many players enjoy playing Alphas/Beta due to the continuous wipes (especially frustrating with an RPG). In terms of instances, the world itself if persistent with regards to housing, vendors etc.....instances are thrown up of that persistent world; I believe that the limit is currently set to around 100 players.

majoria70 likes this.
  3. Red2

Red2 Avatar

First off thanks for the info, very helpful. However that doesn't sound like it would be any fun. It sounds like "preparation" PvP. Very casual. Flagging sounds like a way for a player to hide from others. Entering a open PvP area sounds strange since it's restricted. It would make more sense to call it Entering a closed PvP area.

Not the best start lets hope it changes.

Dewderonomy likes this.
  4. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

the PvP is far from done, but by participating this early in development, we can help identify exploits as new skills are introduced each release, thus giving rise to what will hopefully be one of the best PvP experiences available.

Problem right now is, duels are to the death which damages your equipment.
    As for flagging PvP, you really need to be in the 70s level wise to even stand a chance which requires a few solid days of grinding.

Several players have organized PvP tournaments, which are IMO the funnest thing to do in game right now. But even then it requires a hefty entrance fee to enter and there are no level classes in those tournies, so lvl 30s will be fighting lvl 75s in some cases. Still fun to fight and watch.

So in short, if you dont have serious time to commit to PvP right now, and the overland map and load times are an immersion breaker for you then you might as well wait until beta.

Dewderonomy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.