Anyone have advice for a new player?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Avatar98, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar98

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but here goes!

I'm a brand new player to SotA and have been logging on the last few days to check out the game as it is now, but I've been really kind of stuck.

I'm not sure if it's because there isn't much to do right now or because I'm not looking in the right places.

I find most foes too difficult to kill and most towns I walk into seem to just be player housing.

Is there a place for new players to go (in-game, or here on the forums) to get started?

Whether it's skill/quest NPCs or helpful community members with tips and advice, I would highly appreciate it!

Thanks!

2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

You might try The Mad Hermit's New Player guide as a place to get started. It's kind of tough at first to know where you'll survive and where you won't - but the learning curve is a work in progress as is the game!

If you post more questions here guaranteed you'll get some answers though - our community rocks! Once you get decent armor you may find things easier. A few levels makes a big difference as well. You should post your In Game Name and someone may even drop off a care package (I'm not able to log on right now unfortunately).

A LOT has changed since this guide but we can fill in the gaps :)

3. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Since the game still does not exist (what you see are releases of Pre Alpha builds for us to try the new introduced features, find and report bugs), the question cannot be answered yet.
    If you check the release notes you will see, that the game loop is still rudimentary.
    Anyway, depending from your time zone you will find other players to ask and join.
    More on weekends, and much more on the first weekend after a release has been started.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Add me to friends list (Themo Lock) and message me in game, i will help you get started. About to sleep but you will see me log in if you have me added :)

5. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Avatar98!

6. palang81984

palang81984 Avatar

West Ravenswood is a good starting point. Stay away from aggroing too many "Large grey wolves", sticking to the regular "Grey Wolves". Even the spiders and the smaller bears shouldn't bee too much to handle.

You will level up fairly quickly simply grinding these, then moving to running through the large versions of bears, wolves, and spiders.

Speak to some of the people in Braemar (spelling) for quests. There is a woman who wants you to find her husband, who is in West Ravenswood near the wolves. Speak to him (Warning, you will have to kill about 3 large wolves if there aren't other players around) and he will send you back to her to send word. You will gain a big fat chunk of XP for this.

Also, the bartender will send you on a quest which will take you to kingsport, then to Owl's Head. These are the only other towns in the Vale that have any real shops/quests for you to interact with. Ignore all other towns for the time being.

Doing this will give you a good feel for the game, and level you up enough to feel a bit secure and begin wandering about trying different things.

NOTE: Extra TIP: DO NOT vendor sell the ectoplasmic residue you will begin to accumulate once you are killing skeletons. There is an "open" quest to turn those in to a guy in Owl's Head for 50g per (they only sell for like 1gp from vendors), which is super awesome for a new player, since you can turn them in endlessly in any amounts. You'll eventually find farming skeletons to be one of the most lucrative thing you can do (sell their iron longswords to blacksmith NPCs, and get almost full value for them).

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Avatar98 also you should friend majoria in game, I would love to help you or hangout.:)

8. Avatar98

Thanks everyone!

I added those of you who posted your character names, mine is Caldian Weldust and I hope to see you there and hang out in-game!

9. Smurfwizard

Smurfwizard Avatar

I am Bob Searcher would be glad to hang out

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I will add you Bob Searcher and Caldian Weldust to my friends list in a few moments ;)

Mata and Ice Queen like this.
  11. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I'd recommend you approach Shroud as you did your first MMO and wonder around a bit aimlessly. Shroud is kind of a throw back to an earlier era when gaming was less about MIN/MAX and "phat lewtz." Shroud is more about finding your own adventure and the tools being present to create those adventures.

Wonder around a bit, explore, attack, gather, find your way. Pre-alpha you have nothing to lose and any mistakes you make will be wiped away.

Please note there is no global chat. I wish we had a global chat in game to help people, but the reasoning for not is strong. There is an IRC chat available on the webpage, people are fairly responsive. You will notice frequently in game people seem to miss your /whisper, don't get discouraged.

Enjoy and welcome.

Avatar98, Duke Olahorand and Mata like this.
  12. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I'm not on as frequently as I'd like, but add me and give me a shout out when you see me. Also, it should be possible to get to level 15-20 or so by just doing the quests they have in owl's head, braemar, and kingsport, 80-90% of which don't really require much combat. It should give sufficient build points to be able to handle yourself in most areas. You usually wind up with a few thousand gp afterwards too.

Avatar98 and majoria70 like this.
  13. Avatar98

Thanks again for the tips to everyone!

Greyfox, I like the idea and I'll do as you say. I have such fond memories of doing exactly that in my first MMO. Good times on Star Wars Galaxies :)

Gotta say, one of the strongest things this game has going for it right now is the community. Such a good, helpful, group of people!

majoria70 and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.