1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating the Lich King

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by ioster, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caravaggiosWolf (Dev)

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) Developer Emeritus

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Avatar

Maybe they are some creepy flesh gloves. But I did wonder too :)

3. Lord Viator

Lord Viator Avatar

@caravaggiosWolf Thanks for that, that's awesome! I'll take a good look at them during this week.

4. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Hi Ioster, I just checked out your recent updated Lych. WOW. The specific colors chosen look perfect.

5. BorgKitten

BorgKitten Avatar

I love the Lich but one little nit-pick I have with this piece is the helm, I totally get where Stephen was going with the helm & it seems to fit the Lich perfectly in that styling. Anyway, just a bit of constructive criticism on my part, the piece is really nice in any case.

6. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

You mentioned the helm of the Lich King... I wasn't sure what it reminded me of, then someone posted a screenshot from WoW of a Paladin's helm and my heart sank. Flashbacks! Bad ones! I have a SEVERE distaste for ANY sort of Paladin (or otherwise) summoned bubble of invulnerability. I seethe with rage (on the inside) when something makes a character invulnerable. Especially if there's a circular force field. *growls with a loathing tone*

Anyways, I would love to see the Lich King improved upon and made to look more old, decrepit and weathered, like the Crypt Keeper (yes a hooded shroud is ALWAYS appropriate for some reason...) but with improved flare and distinction on age/knowledge, not "wraith looking" as some have (somewhat rightfully) stated.

BorgKitten likes this.
  7. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

@caravaggiosWolf Thanks Stephen! As an amateur artist I can't help but follow PoA so I did already catch you talking about shape psychology... much appreciated btw.
    What I was probably subconsciously trying to get at with my initial question is whether and to what extent SotA story/lore influenced your vision of the lich king. Can you dance around that without leaking classified information?

8. BorgKitten

BorgKitten Avatar

Agreed, I think the Lich king could have a more weathered look to him but I figured the piece wasn't finished yet so I didn't say anything. I have to admit that I am still pretty new to fantasy so I had to look up what a Lich vs a Wraith is & now I think I see the differences. I guess a Lich is more of an undead sort of skeletal figure whereas a Wraith is like a dark shadowy spirit? Anyway, when it comes to WOW I try to not remember anything! XD

Père Fouettard likes this.
  9. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

For a Lich I think mummified remains would be more realistic. At least if I were a powerful wizard I'd probably do something to keep some tissue intact so I wasn't all bone or a skeleton.

BorgKitten likes this.
  10. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

@BorgKitten I'm glad you researched and got to see the differences of a wraith and lich, but I also completely agree with you knowing that it was a prototype. But now that it has been put into play, we as a community can provide our input to the Devs. Perhaps this model can still be used for something else or improved upon, but I agree with @Mishri on how to further evolve the Lich King.

More weathered and crypt keeper-like because the process of going from a magician to wizard to necromancer to lich to Lich King takes (easily) hundreds, if not thousands of years. Even the armor should be worn out, rusted or at least unkept, unless he was quite the meticulous being in the 'original' life...

BorgKitten likes this.
  11. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

@RelExpo I'm a bit confused about whether we are waiting for guidance from TH & RG in the lore they've been working on or TH & RG are looking for input from the rest of the community in order to better tailor SotA lore.

My impression has been that we are waiting for answers from TH & RG which will soon be published. Patience is a virtue, right?

12. stile

stile Avatar

Typically a lich is a powerful magic user whom uses some sort of magic (rituals, sorcery, etc), also typically considered of the dark arts, to extend their life by becoming undead. Usually the price paid is in body.. Skeletal form most notably or a decaying flesh sort of thing.

To be able to become a lich usually means your dealing with someone that has mastered high levels of the dark arts or they wouldn't be able to do it. So they are associated as being one of the most powerful user of the dark arts. Ive used a lich as the biggest baddest villain in some of my d&d campaigns. The professor morierarty of my campaign if you will.

A wraith is a vengeful spirit, usually ghostly and with a flight/levitation sort of natural ability. Lichs may have similar abilities but they use spells instead of inate ability and they are usually full bodied (they still tend to have fingers and toes, just skeletal).

Wraiths can be known to come in any form or shape though (such as the brother in the movie wraith). As the key is vengeful and dead (not undead such as a lich)

Since lichs are created by magical means they are also not race specific. Dragon lichs are always fun.

This is the definition universally accepted in most RP lore (d&d, roll master, runescape, rifts, world of darkness, etc).

rild and BorgKitten like this.
  13. BorgKitten

BorgKitten Avatar

Ah very interesting, thank you for the explanation! :)

14. BorgKitten

BorgKitten Avatar

Googled pics that I liked

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. stile

stile Avatar

I actually have a Lich Costume ive been using for Halloween for about 20 years. I've added to it slowly over time sort of thing, and its around 500.00 or so in costume. Some of it hand made some of it purchased. I was just looking for a photo but I don't believe I have one unfortunately (unfortunately as I don't want to go put it on to take one *laughs*). I can actually make it Grim Reaper or Lich either one. The Lich version of the costume just adds a lot of extra's the grim reaper doesn't have. The down side is I really never use it, its so miserably hot because of the robe and clothing pieces I need to use under the robe to cover up various flesh, unless your outside when its very cold, it becomes sweltering in a short time.

16. BorgKitten

BorgKitten Avatar

BTW, what about a Lich Queen? A once beautiful woman but now a mad Lich!

[​IMG]

17. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I'm having a hard time understanding why people feel they need to nit-pick how this fantasy image differs from their own fantasy image. In New Britannia, this is a lich. Defeat the damn thing, drag the throne back to the Fire Lotus Tavern, and let the locals buy you drinks and listen to your stories. Sheesh.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  18. stile

stile Avatar

*grins* well said SFKC, I do not disagree, I know from my side someone was asking for the traditional definitions and I'm big about trying to help out people when I can. Makes me feel like a lifetime of playing games as a hobby is at least useful for something/to someone.

Monsters and critters in the RPG Pen and paper world have always been one of my favorite bits as a GM/DM. Whenever I delve into a new system usually the equivalent of monster manuals are the first thing I buy up after core books (that and equipment guides). And on that perspective.. Company A will have a completely different vision or definition from Company B, C, D, and E on what say.. a cloud giant is or should look like. There are some things that tend to hold true from thing to thing... But look at Elves. Are they short or tall? Are they immortal or just long lived? Can they breed with humans or only their own kind? Completely depends on the game system (and the GM.. When I run D&D my elves are NOT D&D elves and don't get me started on the bigotry of dragon race color should have nothing to do with good or evil!).. And SotA is a new game system, setting, and world. So I know that I personally have no expectations in them holding with one traditional lore over another or even re-writing it (which I hope to see a lot of).

BorgKitten likes this.
  19. Ptolemy

Ptolemy Avatar

What color scheme are you guys planning for him?

20. BorgKitten

BorgKitten Avatar

The team can do as they please with the Lich, actually the piece is really nice as is but there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. As professional artist, I'm sure they like to hear every aspect of what people think of the piece. I do not understand what is wrong with having an opinion or idea for this piece when after all this is what these forums are for. I can understand that certain things will be different in the SoTA universe compared to other games, I can very well appreciate whatever they decide to do in this new beloved world but just because a few people nit-pick here and there does not mean they are belittling the art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.