I Ban thee

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Bambino, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

I ban thee!

Being a game currently driven by the community & player run events, I feel this is something that must be done to continue doing so. In banning a player from a lot, they should not be able to interact with anything on the lot... This includes dueling, trading, chatting, and probably a few other things I'm missing. I'm sure that could get a bit complex, but it would be one of the greatest tools the community should have at their disposal.

Also, the banned players interaction should include not being able to attack players flagged PvP. This could be a crucial in maintaining a player base with PvP flags. Sure, tell me to go unflag myself, but with such a thriving community with so many cool events, I feel it would have a negative impact on my love for multiple aspects of gameplay. It would be great to pick up a fight or two between community events!

Point blank, player run events are currently opportunistic situations, basically open game, for greifing. And, Yes, we can do nothing about events not located in lots, but that is fine!

Let's keep the unwanted riffraffs at bay;)

I assumed a lot permissions mechanic like this would have been discussed by now. That or my search skills have failed me.

2. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

How I wish that people can't enter lots until I allow it. Spoils often the fun if someone is already running around on it before an event starts.

3. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Yes, in this case we could also adopt the choice of having a lot considered 'Public' or 'Private'

I am basing this on all the old UO stuff of course.

4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The best solution that has been proposed so far, was to have a "send to other instance" button for approved event holders.
    That way the griefer ends up in the same scene but a different instance of it.
    However since this would require some serious programming and planning from Port I don't think we will see it anytime soon.
    :(

Bambino and Budner like this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

I fully support this, it is easy to disrupt events for single individual. Banning permissions would be nice. I think that banned players should be given a choice of visiting a scene in singleplayer or visiting the main instance but with invisible barrier on the lots they are banned from.

Harmony2, Sofiamia, Arianna and 4 others like this.
  6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    This I am for also, and on a player owned town level too. Maybe it could work that you can set lot/town permissions like the online play choices and set these for FPO or MPO. And then have ban preferences set in addition to this.

Harmony2, Moonshadow and Net like this.
  7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

+1

Harmony2 likes this.
  8. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

It's possible that this won't be nearly as much an issue once the game goes live and /zoning to players is turned off.. But I imagine it will never go away completely. Though banning in a pvp-active zone could create its own form of griefing, so that might have to be re-thought abit..

9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

right, I would not want this to be present in a PVP area. The ability to toggle pvp/pve for player towns would be crucial for this. There was mention of flagging individual lots for pvp also, so that must be taken into consideration. But on the lot level I would assume that the player should be able to ban greifers.

Harmony2, Net, Sofiamia and 2 others like this.
  10. Scrolls_HD

Scrolls_HD Avatar

On the town level, I would rather have something more creative like a bounty system rather than a ban. I think the town owners will have enough greifing power.

Dewderonomy and Sofiamia like this.
  11. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

I don't get what's 'griefing' means...

12. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Maybe they could put in a system where you apply for approval to hold an event. And if the event is approved, the organizer is granted powers to "summon the Guards" to evict uninvited 'guests'. Your real guests then can be entertained by the eviction process of the uninvited guests and the event can go on as planned.

Assuming that they have guards that will be in NPC towns that already do this kind of things for riff raff in npc towns and maybe Port could just take those and maybe transfer those "guards" to the PoTs as well with just a little more effort? Then the organizer will only have these powers during the duration of the event and it wouldn't matter if it's PVP/PVE or whatever because I'd assume those guards I hear about normally would be strong enough to take on most players with little trouble? Never been on a bad side of a guard so I don't really know :D.

The approval process may be handled by mods like forums are done by mods or maybe a committee of volunteers or something from the community. You'd specify the area of effect/event boundries, time, and individuals with powers for that event period only. Trespassing individuals then could be "jailed" for the duration of the event and released after the conclusion of the event.

Lady Amethyst and Bambino like this.
  13. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

@mxlgame
    Griefing: making life miserable for other players. Intentional hurting of other players or trying to ruin their game-playing fun. (This not an official dictionary definition, just my personal understanding of the word.)

14. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I think that banning should be possible even in PvP Towns.

People still can decide not to ban anyone, but unless the town is at war or something like that, it should be possible to ban people, it is not like all the PvP will be happening just in towns. I can see many scenarios where people would like to flag their POT for PvP, but still get real power to enforce whatever rules they set for it. It will be hard to guard the Town 24/7, some could say they should unflag then, but what is the difference between PvP scene you are not allowed to enter and PvE scene you are not allowed to enter? I still think that scene wide ban should just prevent you from entering the 'default' instance and make you special one others will not join (unless they are in party).

15. TantX

TantX Avatar

I remember role-players saying "I ban thee" was a magic ward to protect them from invaders in their magical homes. That was cute.

I ban thee is fine as a whole. To allow it in PvP towns is a bit much, though; it will kill interaction in PvP towns the second the townies start using it. Go hop on any UO shard with Felucca and you'll see what I mean in about 30 seconds of a PvP chase.

16. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I am not sure why town could not be safe haven of sorts... Sure it would be really cool to have town have walls and guards (capable of dealing with invaders and assassins and griefers), but it is a lot of extra work.

Just because someone is willing to flag for PvP (either in person or as town/guild) does not imho mean there should be no consequences for attacking them. I think that blocking/banning* people who attack you is valid gameplay. As I have said earlier though, they can unflag the town. It is imho rather loss for the community if we cannot have PvP scenes with permissions to deal with few offenders trying to ruin fun for everyone. There is going to be plenty of free for all PvP scenes (e.g. shardfalls). I am not quite sure why you would like to PvP with people in their town if they do not like it (or rather when they do not like it, e.g. during events).

*banning from houses, lots, and POTs, not from the game

17. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Food for thought.

Here is an example situation of griefing we will encounter:

PvP Tourney in the PvP town of Ragnarock, crowds of players, combatants in the middle of battle... One player decides to run in the middle of the arena then starts cussing everyone out & carrying on. He is asked multiple times to stop, but he does not stop.

First, players can begin putting this guy on ignore but this guy is still disrupting the combatants... We can then remove the player from the lot, he then begins carrying on outside of the arena, then begins disrupting fights by attacking combatants. Players can then kill the griefer themselves, however, he will come right back to continue the ranting & raving.

The next step will be for the PoT owner or official to use their power to remove the player completely from the town all together.

Go hop on a non-Trammel based UO shard and you will see exactly what I mean. ;)

How would you recommend handling these type of griefing situations?

Harmony2, Arianna, Net and 3 others like this.
  18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Bambino
    Again the best solution would be the ability to "invite to instance" and "send to other instance" for appointed event holders.
    Appointed event holders title/features would be like mini GMs and could be easily revoked if abused.

That way it is the event that is protected, and not the location nor the individuals.

Also please note that there are discussions about having Arenas with seperate non-PvP areas for audience/etc and other areas for PvP like the rink/floor.

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I agree Bambino. This should be in place. Only people that greif will be put off by this idea.

Harmony2, Net, Bambino and 1 other person like this.
  20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

There are non griefers that don't like it, i disagree with them but they are not insane.

Harmony2, Net, Bambino and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.