Gold Farming Tips?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tc91101, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tc91101

tc91101 Avatar

I'm looking for suggestions on how and where to farm gold. I think it might have become worse with R16. I have a flame sword that use to take 1 kit per 50 repair then in R15 it became 1 per 20 and now its 1 per 10. Also, durability loss has seemed to have been pumped up for all equipment including my sword, skinning knife and picks. Also, the dang skeletons have to be killed twice now. Anyway, I have earned 25K gold and was hoping to get a house before the wipe in a month or so and was looking for ideas.

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Regarding repairs.
    Don't use your top gear when grinding skeletons. Instead use their own Iron Swords to defeat them.

Personally I use a Vanduul pole arm since it is cheap to repair.

What type of house size are you looking for?
    I could probably help you with a house if you promise to make some good Bug reports while trying to decorate.

mxlgame likes this.
  3. tc91101

tc91101 Avatar

House lot and size doesn't really matter. I figured I'd be lucky to earn enough to get the smallest anyway. I was just trying to get a chance to try it before I get wiped again. I haven't managed to earn enough gold in past wipes but was trying to make a better shot at it this time. I kind of got caught up in crafting and spent to much on it though. I am due to make a progress report and would certainly add what I find out with the housing if you help me out. Also, Ill try switching to their swords. One question though, is there any reason as of yet to have the advanced swords? So far I have been able to kill anything I come across except for a ghost in one of the areas and I have a bit of trouble with the air and earth elemental because of their magic.

mxlgame likes this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

No reason except some of those crafted things looks really cool.
    ;)
    ...or if you do PvP and need an edge.

I will be in and out of game for the next four hours or so, in chat write
    /friend Spoon
    so that you can see my online status in the F key interface, if there just right click on the name and Whisper.

You will probably need a lot of that gold to get furniture etc.
    The good thing about Row lots is that they come with a default house, otherwise you'd need to buy that as well.

Lecktor Hannibal likes this.
  5. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

Best way I have found thus far is to clear out the piles of Wolves in Deep Ravenswood, skin them, then go clear out the piles of undead (liches, skeletons, etc) for ectoplasmic residue/various other loot. Rinse/repeat til you're full, then sell the animal hides on the Owl's Head public vendor for 100-200g each (competing with current price).

6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

The Mystic Gem quest at Graff Gem mine pays better than Ecloplasm... Plus you get un-cut gems to sell too...

7. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

Sell your ectoplasm to the magic shop near the docks in Ardoris. He gives 60 gold for each.

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Deffinatly DO NOT USE crafted items to grind anything, Augmented Plate and picked up weapons and shileds. Aug plate is easily replaced when you sell the items you gather and sell as Loot, The weapons are FREE, just change out and destroy old one.

This is of course just for these alphas but there is NO need to waste any materials in making gold or out gathering, sorry it is just plain BAD economics.

Go kill Undead ( a pain since they have to die 2 times) or Elves. They have a descent amount of items you can sell back to vendors 10K is VERY easy in little time.

again DO NOT USE crafted items and repair them you are working against yourself :-(

FrostII likes this.
  9. Veronica

Veronica Avatar

I'm not sure of the name of the NPC you're referring to, but I was told to sell ectoplasm to 'Digit' in Ardoris and he only offers 1 gold (or 2 gold at most) for it. Maybe I got the wrong NPC? Maybe I need to do a quest first?

Not sure which undead you're killing, but the best item I've ever got off of an undead in one week of farming is a cheap, used sword? Maybe I'm missing a quest or something so I get on someone's payroll? Maybe I'm not farming in the right spot?

Curious. :)

10. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

when you're selling something like this for a quest, you don't use the vendor window. ask digit how you can help.

Ice Queen and Veronica like this.
  11. Veronica

Veronica Avatar

I never knew it was for a quest, it's why I asked. But thank you, I'll check again and see if I get a quest first.

12. Veronica

Veronica Avatar

I just went and talked to Digit, a second time. I asked how I could help. He said if I "could speak to Lady Khasi to determine what is causing her distress, it would be of service." And I went through the entire dialogue, clicking each linked word in chat. The conversation ended without a word about ecotoplasmic residue.

I was about to ask him again how I could help, and right before I pressed enter he spoke to me without having initiated a direct conversation - telling me he is in need of ectoplasmic residue.

I did finally get a journal entry after I sold him the residue.

This was the second time I've offered to help him and gone through the dialogue. When I spoke to him the first time and he didn't offer to buy it, I targeted him and said, "ectoplasmic residue" in local chat. Doing this did not initiate him offering to buy it from me even though I had a stack of 20 residue in my inventory.

Now, if someone asks me "How do I sell residue to Digit?" I'm still not sure exactly what initiates him offering to buy it, but at least I can share my experience. :)

Edit: And yes, I now know the answer "should" be: target him and say "help", then "yes."

FrostII likes this.
  13. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

Undead Footman frequently drop longswords, two-handed iron hammers, triangle shields and corpse wax that all can be sold to vendors. Corpse wax is 5g each and lightweight, iron longswords sell up to 130g when they are fully repaired, and the hammers/shields sell alright as well.

Also, for Digit, try simply saying "Ectoplasm"

FrostII, Net and Veronica like this.
  14. tc91101

tc91101 Avatar

I switched out that flame sword I was using. In R14 it was repairing full with two kits. R15 went to 4 kits and now R16 is 9kits. 9 kits is almost 1000 gold which is way to much. Plus I really think they upped the durability loss in R16 which makes it even worse. I switched back to picked up swords and the triangle shields. Also, the skill that allows for multiple skinning, mining, etc. seems to have been massively decreased. I haven't received a multiple mine / skin since R16 updated. I am receiving a multiple wood harvest but pretty rarely. I think I might try the graff mine quest and see how it is for a bit of variety. Also, which area do you guys like best for farming skeletons?

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

For Digit, if you have Ecto in your inventory all you have to do is open a window with him and say "ectoplasmic" he will take yours and give you 60 for each

FrostII likes this.
  16. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

Veronica,

Once you type Ectoplasmic and he responds saying he will pay 60 gold for each, you will need to type yes.

FrostII and Veronica like this.
  17. Veronica

Veronica Avatar

Thank you. I've been successful at turning some in to him three times now. It's been very helpful, I'm finally earning a little bit more gold than I'm spending on new gear each trip to town.

I have still encountered errors when talking to him at times though. Twice, Digit responded to "ectoplasm." One time, right before I logged off last night, he started talking to me like "Larry the Lamplighter", i.e. - "Whatever you say", "Hmm", or "OK." He wouldn't respond to either ectoplasmic or ectoplasm, and I did have him targeted. The only thing that worked was logging out to the menu and then loading back in, he worked just fine then.

I don't know why I have so much trouble with Digit. I'm not making this up, haha!

18. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Were you alone with him? Maybe you had some company and he became shy? Think I notice sometimes that these guys that like to buy ectoplasm tend to become shy and beat around the bush when someone else comes into the picture. :D

19. Veronica

Veronica Avatar

There was someone that came in and spoke to him when I did, in fact. Maybe I was just being an impatient avatar?

/check self

If they mean business but they are going to act all shy and beat around the bush with me, they should at least let me buy them a drink or offer them to dance!

*Edited to better convey my thoughts*

Moiseyev Trueden and 4EverLost like this.
  20. tc91101

tc91101 Avatar

I finally got a house. I mainly earned money in North Ravenswood by skinning and mining and then selling it on public auction. Another good place is Blackblade Pass. You get more experience for each kill and harvest there as long as you are high enough level in both adventure and production to efficiently work there. Instead of getting like 10 points for each skin I think you get 200 now. To use this method you have to have your skinning and mining skills up. I maxed mine. My other skills are low and using them is not efficient at all. The best way I found to raise those skills is to go to Owl's Head and kill all the sheep, chickens, pigs and other animals. Skin them for carcass. Go to the butcher table that someone was kind enough to place right near the entrance and turn the carcass to meat, etc. Vendor everything and repeat. Get about 10 levels or so while pumping up skinning. Then head out in the wild and skin for hides. Either sell the hides or craft to leather for extra experience. The down side to crafting is each higher tier seems to earn less money than just selling the hides. For example, leather sells for less money per unit than the hides it takes to make the leather. If you craft the leather into equipment it is even worse at least in my experience. Also, keep in mind that this will probably eventually be changed. I suspect that skill gains will eventually be attached to the method that was used to gain the skill. In other words, if you use butchery skill to gain levels then you won't be able to take those points and stick them in mining.

tonnymontana and majoria70 like this.
  21. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

You are welcome any time. Please feel free to use the rest of the place as well. The feast is exquisite, the bar is fully stocked and the baths are warm.
    There is also an Aether Amplifier on the bar and in the court if you want music while crafting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.