Will Shroud of the Avatar Fail or Succeed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PlottedMurder, Jul 14, 2013.

?

What part of the community will SotA be made up of?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2013.
  1. New school MMO players.

3.0%
  2. Old school MMO players.

30.3%
  3. Both.

66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I like this, but would also like to state that i hope there never comes a point where SotA uses gear tiers. Constantly upgrading my gear in WoW was miserable for me. However there was nothing else to do in WoW so I guess they had to.

I'm hoping that SotA has a lot more to offer a player so that you don't need ever increasing gear. Which is probably why full loot in PvP is a good idea. (I know that's a huge issue with some people and I didn't want to start that debate here)

Grayhawk likes this.
  2. LemmingOfEvil

LemmingOfEvil Avatar

While I hope for the chance to play with people across the globe, I would understand if they decide to split people up geographically in order to place people on shards on which they will have lower latency. I hope not though, since Star Citizen also will be having a large number of German players, I've been itching to get at least a working knowledge of the language so I don't have to limit myself just to English / Spanish speaking groups. Although my Spanish could stand to get brushed up on a bit too.

3. timbusan

timbusan Avatar

Yes, 24 would be hard to handle for a group leader but I'd expect the 30 people to be split between a few different groups. A few loners, smaller guilds, etc, to keep the interaction fresh and varied. Otherwise any town is going to look pretty deserted.

4. Cazador

Cazador Avatar

I'm just hoping that there is some maintained server instanced dungeons..that say 3-4 guilds of 15 could raid against each other whenever..to fight over a specific thing..kind of like champ spawns are in UO..5v5v5 isn't what I'm looking for in PvP when it comes to group fights..the constant random groups of players coming in to fight is what makes it interesting..not Pre-determining a 5v5 skirmish.

timbusan likes this.
  5. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Avatar

i hope they look for at least a 40 v 40 type area... for fights etc. big group fights in 3d are so amazing

6. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I think most people still fail to grasp the selective multiplayer concept. It's closer to how fps games work one persons computer runs the server for each instance everyone else connects and when that person leaves another person's computer takes on the duty of running the server. Your computer is running the whole game instead of a server/client setup like an mmorpg. The main server only matches players to each other using an algorithm based on your settings and play styles, authenticates, and syncs persistent world data and things like item trades and player housing everything else is done locally on your computer by the game.

As for leveling they have said there won't be "grind" it's not going to be done in a traditional manner and they haven't really shown the way that they are doing it other than there will be a crafting skill tree and a combat skill tree and we will have skill points to spend in those trees. I really liked the way Ultima Online did it and I hope for something similar but they will have something much better I'm sure. I don't think SotA is going to be for Lazy gamers I think in a lot of ways it's going to be harder than a lot of games. I'm a lazy gamer myself but I'm hoping I can work harder and be not such a lazy gamer in SotA lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

7. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

If by succeed you mean WoW succeed as in 10 million + players then I don't think it will. If it can have 1 million i'd be rather happy in calling it a success. The WoW model is only done right by one company and that's Blizzard and people are sick of it. We all know that UO was the best MMO ever and the reason was that it was basically a materialistic sandbox game. What is better than doing whatever you want and the reward is a big house full of crap that everyone is in envy of? I loved it and I think that is what is missing from current gen mmos. If a giant advertising blitz of what is basically Ultima Online 2 headed by and independent Richard Garriot and friends.... fail isn't on the radar.

Jizmakpiston likes this.
  8. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

It would be great if we saw that many people on SotA but I don't think we will nor do i think it will matter. Do I think the game will get great reviews and tons of my friends will play it once it's finalized yeah definitely. But a lot of people aren't like me and need to see the game in it's final form before they can be convinced to jump on the SotA bandwagon.

Jizmakpiston likes this.
  9. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

As subject matter from the Devs grows, so will the great discussions. Right now (in my view) the worst thing that happens is runaway assumptions.

As the SA culture grows, so will the Community. @ 20,000 now, few percent have ever even posted. This is understandable, without the subject floating in a jar, there is no real science to discuss.

Right now it has been hard for me to read a Community post or just another post from one of the little Cabals, but I'm getting better at it. ( I don't type well but at least I can read just as fast.)

10. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

Quick correction: SotA is not going to be UO2 (as RG has said). They are trying to move in a different direction. I think it is important to manage expectations, lest people become disappointed at an otherwise great game.

11. Cazador

Cazador Avatar

Spiritual successor = no need to even try to get messed up in copyright infringements..it's as close as we will get to UO2..let us dream! Lol

licemeat likes this.
  12. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

From what I've seen it sounds more like a slider but it's way to early to tell.
    I think check boxes would work great for OPO mode, check the box for languages you want to see first, besides like friends or guilds.
    But before any of that I think you have to establish if your PVE, or some kind of PVP mode.
    PK's are only going to want to see those they can kill and loot.

13. PlottedMurder

PlottedMurder Avatar

not sure if i really agree with their approach with 20-30 clients online on one shard... if the world is big its going to feel void most of the time.. i dont know.. not really a fan of this idea. but RG knows what he is doing i guess

14. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

"A rose by any other name..."

Jizmakpiston likes this.
  15. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

There will be no shards. Each "Scene" or map hex will be an instance which will be filled with a certain number of people. Every time you enter a new scene who you see will be reshuffled. As such an individual location might have 5 instances of itself each filled with 20 or so people. That is why many people do not refer to SOTA as an MMO. It is more like an old-school multiplayer game with seamless matchmaking.

This will give the appearance of an MMO-like experience without having a bunch of useless people standing around you wouldn't interact with anyway. There is a bunch of videos on the Portalarium youtube page with information (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXQk717zL_nnDsfyaAQ5qkQ); although it is a lot of information to sift through. If I can find this described I will try and post a direct link to something useful.

Phredicon likes this.
  16. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

That is correct as I described in my post earlier in this thread. I wouldn't be surprised if the game grouped you with people that are close to you geographically based
    Based on ping and ip address. But really as long as people are on your friends list you import from Google+/Steam/email you'll see them. It's unlikely we'll see Facebook or Twitter integration because of the limitations recently put in these two platforms. Facebook no longer allows external apps to access your friend list and Twitter only allows 100,000 users per app token which SotA will probably go over that many users.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

17. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

I don't need no stinkin social network integration. A facebook post (of my own) + typing their name in is plenty good enough for me. In fact I'd rather not allow organizations to share data.

18. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

hear hear!

Koldar likes this.
  19. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

If SotA did somehow manage to get Facebook integration it wouldn't be to post anything it would purely be to find out who your friends are. I personally could care less about Facebook or Twitter. I use Steam for games and Google for everything else so all my friends I'd want to play with are on either of those.

20. LemmingOfEvil

LemmingOfEvil Avatar

That is a fair description of how it works. However, we're using the term Shard because that was how LB described them to the audience of RTX2013 (starting about ~11:55 into the video).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.