Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

navigation on the overworld map

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by coder1024, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Mishri, I get that exploration should be a part of the game. Exploration, mystery, discovery is all great. My experience has been that the current overworld map is more frustration than exploration though which is why I posted. I hope there can be exploration/discovery/mystery in an easier to navigate form :)

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@coder1024 lol yes I'm with you and more is coming, but always not as fast as we want to see it. I was happy with quite a few comments in the hangout Tuesday. I had to 'listen' very closely for some subtle hints on things, some were very short comments.;)

coder1024 likes this.
  3. Gunnar Macleod

Gunnar Macleod Avatar

Agree, we need a world map with fog...

Mishri likes this.
  4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I dunno. I relate to wanting to know where something is on a map, either because I do not want to waste time getting there or just have to know. However, I'm not sure I like that for good game design reasons, only convenience or content gobbling reasons. When I think about real fun in a game, it strikes me that a map that I cannot have a 'God view' of , that I cannot see from above and pan around on ahead of my arrival, is a good thing. Good in that it leads me to explore to find things. Good in that it rewards me for my exploration by discovering something i would not have known otherwise. Good because it gives me a leg up on other players for exploring and memorizing my foot paths, because those who have not bothered will not know. Good because it keeps the game world feeling large, vs. confined. Good because it keeps travel meaningful. Good because it lets me forget and get lost again, only to rediscover. Give this, the good of not being able to pan around, from a long term game play perspective, seems to far outweigh the instant thrill that I might get from knowing everything at once, or when I want to.

5. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

While a map with landmarks your position is probably handy now, when the world is filled out with all its towns and other landmarks, and when we get the planned 2d map is included in game. needing the a map that tracks your location might not be necessary. If after all the planned stuff is built out and people still have problems then it might be necessary. Befor ethen I'm more inclined to say grin and bear it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.