Suggestion: Create an alternate combat system for the Single Player game.

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Chlorthos, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chlorthos

Chlorthos Avatar

Alright, I see that there are plenty of combat threads on here.

Frankly - and I am putting this as mildly as I can - I cannot stand the combat in SotA as it currently exists. I have seen the term "outdated" used, but I don't think it's outdated. I just think it's not very good at all. I don't care about double-clicking on an enemy, and then just hitting random numbers on my keyboard. Nothing exciting about that at all. And somehow, with the recent updates, it seems to have gotten even worse, since it is incredibly challenging to even target and double-click on the enemy at all.

My proposal: Take some time, and work together an alternate combat system for the Single Player component. I can understand why the combat system as it is might appeal to someone who just wants to rack up points, but if the combat remains unchanged, I will simply look at it as a waste of time, and it will be a huge gamestopper for me. I don't know much about programming, so someone is free to correct me, but it doesn't seem like it would take too long to put together an alternate form of combat.

I'm not providing any specifics, because my taste is subjective. The best combat mechanics I have seen in any RPG are in the Gothic series, Kingdoms of Amalur, and the Witcher. I would rate Ultima 7's combat much higher than SotA's, not because it's necessarily GOOD, but simply because it is much less of a nuisance.

To be absolutely clear: In Ultima 7, you go up to an enemy, press C, and watch everything happen passively. I am saying that is a step UP from SotA's combat. Let that sink in a bit.

I am NOT saying, "Make it be like this!" I'm just saying, try to provide an alternative, because a lot of people don't seem to like it at all.

I can understand that the time of the devs is precious, and they are crunching down to get this game finished for everyone. However, there isn't much point to giving Bob in Lakeville or wherever any kind of dialogue at all if we lose interest in this game before we get there.

Two MMO examples of what is more tolerable combat: D&D Online and Age of Conan. If SotA's combat was more like that, I could stomach it. As it is, it will just be of no use to the experience at all.

Weave, tekkamansoul, licemeat and 3 others like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Um not even gonna read it - NOPE

Learn to play with it not just an all out don't like don't want it change it.

It may need MINOR tweaking but LEARN it

sn0tub likes this.
  3. Chlorthos

Chlorthos Avatar

I'm playing a game, not DMing a 2nd edition D&D campaign. Combat in a game should not be something that requires me to write a dissertation.

I don't care about how "good" I am at it at this point. I WANT to care, but nothing about the combat is appealing, in any way, shape, or form. I'm just suggesting that an alternative be made.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi Chlorthos, yes it may be a touchy subject to some. You are not alone. Some are just waiting on the Devs to provide answers when they next have a moment to give some big attention to combat. I'm hoping soon. Perhaps many are talked out I guess, just waiting and checking out the other aspects of development that have come into the game.:)

5. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

YES!!! Maybe like Gothic, perhaps. Or even "simulated turn based"? (drools)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Make it pausable and give a spell book and select the spells you want to cast that way

mikeaw1101 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  7. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

This is currently my biggest gripe with the game too. The most essential thing you do in this game simply isn't all that fun because of this weird system that removes you so far from the action that you just can't feel immersed at all.

Gothic and The Witcher are also way at the top of my favourite combat systems. Hence why I keep saying over and over how much it burns my ass that they didn't make the general controls in this game more like Tabula Rasa.

8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

i agree with clorthos. porty should make a more ultimaesque combat system.

9. Borg

Borg Avatar

Do we have to learn how to like it?

10. captbloody

captbloody Avatar

Lol, Soo I guess if you don't like you must not know it?

Its the worst combat system in any mmo ever, not even close. I liked Legends of Kesmai combat better and that was out on AOL.

11. Helseth

Helseth Avatar

Although I agree the combat needs attention I wouldn't want it to be different between single and multiplayer modes. I could tolerate a pause button but not a whole different combat system.

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  12. Chlorthos

Chlorthos Avatar

May I ask why? I only ask since I get the impression that most who are playing in MP won't be playing SP, and I definitely know that many who are only in it for the SP won't be playing MP. So, if you're planning on just playing one of them, would it really matter?

Really, I wouldn't have a problem with the game implementing 2 distinct combat systems across the board, so that you choose in the options which one you want to go with. That way, whether you're playing SP or MP, you can choose which way you want to fight.

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  13. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

way to be dismissive, and even a bit obnoxious.

14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Sure combat needs some work. But the log-in screen does clearly state that the game is in a pre-alpha build. This means that all game systems are being created and iterated upon. By playing now, we have the opportunity to see things in early states. For those expecting final game systems right now, waiting might be better. Hope this helps.

Duke Raas and Moonshadow like this.
  15. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

But that is the heart of the pro/anti combat model right there. Many of us following development closely (and a lot of "newbs" too, go figure) feel this current system won't receive the attention it needs by release, and so far the powers that be haven't done much to suggest otherwise.

And those combat "tweaks" Chris proposed in hangout really don't address the "red flags" we have been pointing out either, they just sink more development time into a controversial and well... just a weird and mediocre-feeling (contrived?) mechanic. Balancing the skill trees, making it harder to find or skill up at trainers, and tweaking those crappy little glyph animations that pop up when you use a skill ultimately won't matter if the actual fighting is still based on an abstract and quasi-random hotbar. And don't even get me started on the "locked hotbar" as an alternative, that isn't really an alternative at all but feels more like a straight "cop out" (c'mon, that's the best you guys can do for an alternative combat system, really?) :(

Dewderonomy and Freeman like this.
  16. abdb687

abdb687 Avatar

My thinking is that the Dev team would be better utilised coming up with a system that feels right for the game and works both single and multi player.

Dewderonomy and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. Borg

Borg Avatar

Agree 100% Combat is in a very early state, I concluded there is no point discussing combat system yet.

18. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

so in your opinion when is it ok to judge the combat system itself (not the technicalities of this skill vs that skill but the whole system) so that if it needs to be redesigned from the ground up the devs can do so (as they themselves said if we found it "not fun" they would replace it)

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  19. Borg

Borg Avatar

In my opinion this combat system is a placeholder.....or we are doomed.

20. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

I feel like we should create an alternate combat for the single player game... and then use it in the multiplayer game.

Dewderonomy, Flip, mikeaw1101 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.