New Player - Various Questions!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JDGamers, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDGamers

JDGamers Avatar

Greetings All!

Yesterday was my first day and I had a lot of fun meeting a bunch of friendly faces and touring new lands!

I had a couple of questions/comments that I was curious about, I apologize if these have been asked before but I could not find anything to answer them.

1. Will there be multiple servers or realms? Such as East coast, West Coast, Europe..?

2. Will there be a way to "insure" your items, so that when you die they will not be taken?

3. How will the game flow through various episodes? Will the existing land remain the same and new additions or continents be added? Is it mainly the story line that will be a new addition?

4. I've seen this mentioned multiple times but wanted to reiterate as I believe it is an important feature - I feel the game needs some type of paper doll view to be able to inspect the armor and weapons of other players.

5. I read on a separate post that there were around 80 player owned towns in the works, is this number accurate? Will there be a cutoff date or number as to when/how many player owned towns can be built?

6. Lastly, I have no intentions to rush anything - but as a general idea, what is a "not set in stone", more like written on a napkin in crayon timeline as to when Beta will commence and the actual game release?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to meeting even more new faces!

- Aristotle

2. stile

stile Avatar

1- no, 2-lootable items will have a bounty you can pay to keep is one thought but not all entirely decided.

3 - yes to both.. New land and new story

4- press c

5 it's over a 100.. 200 + for store sales and more unlocked with gold later.

6- very little is set in stone until it releases. Weve seen feedback from players cause things to change we thought were.

We bid ye welcome

3. JDGamers

JDGamers Avatar

Thanks for answering! just as a follow up to question 4 - I know i can view my paper doll, is there something I am missing to view other players?

Mata likes this.
  4. -sCo-

-sCo- Avatar

You don't miss anything. It is afaik not possible to inspect the stats/details of other player.

Mata likes this.
  5. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome JDGamers!

6. Selene

Selene Avatar

Welcome to the forums and the game, JDGamers!

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Welcome to these lands hope you will enjoy rifting as much as we do.

Regarding POTs and release.
    In the last hangout (check out YouTube Portalarium Austin channel) they said they were still aiming for a year end release.
    The cut off for POTs have instead become a price increase to the current prices, the hard cut off hasn't been mentioned anymore but should be about 2-3 months before release.

If you need a guide or shoot some questions in game the please feel free to in chat write
    /friend Spoon
    Or other friendly players. That way you can use the F key interface to see if they are online.
    If you want to try something out then I usually have spares, like housing deeds or crafting materials/tools or armor/weapons.

It's a good time to start out, R17 was hard on new comers, R18 has much more new folks friendly content.

Please note that everything will be wiped in a couple of months.
    Everything but the hat quest rewards that is which are added to your Account.

Also if you have not already then again on YouTube the mad hermit channel has some excellent starting vids.

Dinsoo [MGT], Epona, Atogrim and 2 others like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You can actually view details stats.. I believe the keyboard command is V. Also there is a pull down menu in the upper right that lists all the 'windows'.

The latest word on the schedule is a maybe release at the end of the year but it might take longer to get all the content in. Figure full alpha during the summer.. hopefully beta by the end? I think that's definitely drawn in crayon though. I think an early next year release is more likely.. others are more pessimistic.

9. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

Welcome JDGames :)

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I believe he is asking about an "inspect" option for players.. where it brings up other people's paperdolls so you can look at their gear.. Which I don't believe is in... I haven't heard if it ever will be in.

In the future you can also expect item stats to be hidden.

11. -sCo-

-sCo- Avatar

You can only view your own stats. But he wants to see the stats(what weapon or armor they are wearing) of other players. This imho does not work yet and I am not sure if I would like to see a feature like this in SotA.

BTW: Welcome JDGamers :)

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ah I see.. missed the "other players" part of that. :) On which point I guess I'd have to disagree to a point. I think it would be cool to have some kind of visual indicator on what kind of condition someone's gear is in.. but I don't think you should be able to see numbers. That said, I'm sure there will be some kind of a paper doll view for other players later on.

Archibald Leatherneck and Epona like this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi and welcome JDGamers to shroud of the avatar. If you have questions in game also I would be happy to help. My character name is majoria. *cheers* to you.:)

14. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Small game, no shards, just 1 persistent universe broken up by invisible instances you don't need to worry or think about.

It isn't ironed out yet but if you don't want to lose a random item don't put on the PvP flag.

Episodes will flow as we see them flow, more support for the game will result in more elaborate episodes.

Yes.

There are paper dolls.

No one knows the cutoff date but I'm sure it's close.

Launch date is not set in stone but the best guess is December 2015 - January 2016, but again, not set in stone.

15. JDGamers

JDGamers Avatar

Thanks all for the feedback and the warm welcomes!

I'll be sure to send out a few friend requests tonight!

Mata likes this.
  16. Acred

Acred Avatar

Welcome to SotA, JDGamers.

May your adventures be numerous, successful and FUN!

17. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Welcome to SotA and the best community ever to exist. Very good questions. There are plenty of people who will lend a hand whenever needed.

18. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

Welcome to the best community I've ever seen for any MMO, bar none. And welcome to Shroud of the Avatar.

One shard for them all in pre-release so far. I have been assuming that was the plan for release as well, but I'll let someone chime in to correct that assumption if it's inaccurate.

I get the feeling that the developers learn toward providing *less* information in-game rather than more, so I wouldn't expect an Inspect option. I could have missed a discussion of it, but I haven't heard any.

There has been some talk about making a 2015 release date. You can work back from and estimate the arrival of various betas. But note also that there is a lot of speculation on these forums that Portalarium cannot meet a 12-31-15 deadline.

Have fun!

- Wanderlust (who has a JD, does that make me a JDGamer?)

19. JDGamers

JDGamers Avatar

Hey I'm willing to share with you! JD's unite!

Yeah that is exactly what I was leaning towards was an inspect option. I've never really thought about the other side of it where you may not want someone to see the stats and such on your weapons and armor, but at the same time I feel like a new player being able to see that gives them something to look forward to and try and earn themselves! I know in my UO days I loved seeing people wearing a Hat of the Magi. I wanted one so badly I was in Doom for months!! Lol, seriously though I loved that place. But just my opinion on the matter!

I honestly don't mind the release being pushed back at all. I was more so inquiring just to get a feel for when it was to be around. I'd rather the game get as close to complete as it can and not rushed into a release just to meet a deadline!

Thanks again all!

20. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

1. Will there be multiple servers or realms? Such as East coast, West Coast, Europe..? No. There will be one server. So if you stay up late at night, you might encounter people from across the world!

2. Will there be a way to "insure" your items, so that when you die they will not be taken? TBD but not every item will be lootable. Current thinking is only items acquired in that scene can be looted.

3. How will the game flow through various episodes? Will the existing land remain the same and new additions or continents be added? Is it mainly the story line that will be a new addition? New continents will be added. Existing lands though will likely still see random map events and changes.

4. I've seen this mentioned multiple times but wanted to reiterate as I believe it is an important feature - I feel the game needs some type of paper doll view to be able to inspect the armor and weapons of other players. I don't think this is going to happen. Sorry.

5. I read on a separate post that there were around 80 player owned towns in the works, is this number accurate? Will there be a cutoff date or number as to when/how many player owned towns can be built? I believe that number is accurate but they just made POTs more expensive.

6. Lastly, I have no intentions to rush anything - but as a general idea, what is a "not set in stone", more like written on a napkin in crayon timeline as to when Beta will commence and the actual game release? The developers say launch will be November 2015. Everybody else thinks we'll take at least one more year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.