Achievement Ideas

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Elgarion, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hello ladies and gents,

I'm hoping to get a list together of achievement ideas. Chris had mentioned wanting to populate their spreadsheet with more ideas, so perhaps we can all chip in?

The goal here is to think of ones that would be fun for people to do. Example, "Kill 5 rats" is not entirely fun and likely, no matter what? You'll kill 5 rats anyway. "Kill 5 rats while holding a beer stein?" Now that takes effort and was intentional. Another example, "Visit all hexes of this region" would likely happen eventually. "Visit all hexes of this region at night?" Now that could take some conscious effort.

Please list any achievement items below. I will add them to the master list in the main thread. They don't have to include a conditional situation if you think the act, in and of itself, is quite the achievement.

Format? (Please offer suggestions for additional fields of information to provide.)

Achievement Title
    Achievement Category (PVE, PVP, Exploration, Skill, Quest, Lore, Crafting, Guild, Other)
    Achievement Description
    Suggested Reward

Tantrum
    PVE
    Kill 2 creatures within a 1 minute period.
    Reward:

Warpath
    PVE
    Kill 5 creatures within a 1 minute period.
    Reward:

Rampage
    PVE
    Kill 10 creatures within a 1 minute period.
    Reward:

Wait... they're poisonous???
    PVE
    Kill 1 venomous creatures without being inflicted by their poison.
    Reward:

I'm pretty sure I'm immune...
    PVE
    Kill 25 venomous creatures without being inflicted by their poison.
    Reward:

Poison Shmoison!
    PVE
    Kill 50 venomous creatures without being inflicted by their poison.
    Reward:

At death's door...
    PVE and PVP
    Reduced to 1% of your health remaining.
    Reward:

At death's door and knocking loudly...
    PVE and PVP
    Reduced to 1 health remaining.
    Reward:

Argh, I forgot to equip my armor!
    PVE
    Kill 1 creatures without any armor equipped.
    Reward:

Hey guys, watch this!
    PVE
    Kill 25 creatures without any armor equipped.
    Reward:

Back in my day, we didn't NEED armor!
    PVE
    Kill 50 creatures without any armor equipped.
    Reward:

Brawler
    PVP
    Defeat 1 player with your bare hands.
    Reward:

Pugilist
    PVP
    Defeat 25 players with your bare hands.
    Reward:

Hand-to-Hand Expert
    PVP
    Defeat
    Reward:

What's a parachute?
    Other
    Fall from a height of over 50 meters and live.
    Reward:

Nightwalker of <region>
    Exploration
    Visit all hexes of a region while at night time.
    Reward:

Daywalker of <region>
    Exploration
    Visit all hexes of a region during the day.
    Reward:

Hey, wanna check out <region>?
    Exploration
    Visit all hexes of a region while in a party of 2.
    Reward:

Storming the <gates, wilds, shores etc> of <region>!
    Exploration
    Visit all hexes of a region while in a party of 4
    Reward:

Hmmm, that didn't take long...
    Exploration
    You die within the first minute of entering a hex.
    Reward:

What the heck just happened???
    Exploration
    You die within the first 10 seconds of entering a hex.
    Reward:

Eh, ale makes me shtronger!
    PVE
    You kill 1 creatures while inebriated.
    Reward:

Shtay away from by beer!
    PVE
    You kill 25 creatures while inebriated.
    Reward:

I'm... invinshable!
    PVE
    You kill 50 creatures while inebriated.
    Reward:

The Greatesht <creature name with a slur> Shlayer Ever!
    PVE
    You kill 50 of this creature type while inebriated.
    Reward:

Rats!
    PVE
    You were slain by a rat.
    Reward:

Comon, are you kidding me?!?
    PVE
    You were slain by a rat 50 times.
    Reward:

Anyone can handle a <creature>!
    PVE
    Slay <creature> without receiving a single heal.
    Reward:

Lucky Dodge...
    PVE
    Slay 1 creatures of your level without taking any damage.
    Reward:

The Dodgemeister
    PVE
    Slay 25 creatures of your level without taking any damage.
    Reward:

Untouchable
    PVE
    Slay 50 creatures of your level without taking any damage.
    Reward:

Renaissance Man
    Other
    Play "Rule, Britannia!" on a piano.
    Reward:

I'm king of the world! (Hazard, I'll change this if you reply with more specifics)
    Exploration
    Climbed on top of a player owned building (perhaps each building type earns its own achievement)
    Reward:

I'm king of the...
    Exploration
    Died from falling from a player owned building.
    Reward:

Barfly of <insert NPC tavern name>
    Exploration
    Entered <tavern name> or perhaps spoke with barkeep of <tavern name>
    Reward: Duh... beer?

Other
    Streamed Avatars Radio for 10 minutes
    Reward: Title of Avatars Radio Neophyte

Other
    Streamed Avatars Radio for 1 hour
    Reward: Title of Avatars Radio Fan

Other
    Streamed Avatars Radio for 24 hours
    Reward: Title of Loves Avatar Radio

Other
    Streamed Avatars Radio for 7 days
    Reward: Title of Avatar Radio Fanatic, Functional Radio Decoration for House

Adept Armorer
    Crafting
    Craft 250 pieces of armor
    Reward: Title of Adept Armorer and choice of a production tool better than the basic tools

Master Armorer
    Crafting
    Craft 500 pieces of armor
    Reward: Title of Master Armorer and choice of a production tool better than the basic tools better than the previous stage

Grand Master Armorer
    Crafting
    Craft 1000 pieces of armor
    Reward: Title of Grand Master Armorer and choice of a production tool better than the basic tools better than the previous stage AND a special crafting apron or something similar.

Adept Harvester
    Crafting
    Harvest 2500 items
    Reward: Title of Adept Harvester and choice of a harvesting tool better than the basic tools.

Master Harvester
    Crafting
    Harvest 25000 items
    Reward: Title of Master Harvester and choice of a harvesting tool better than the basic tools better than the previous stage.

Grand Master Harvester
    Crafting
    Harvest 50000 items
    Reward: Title of Grand Master Harvester and choice of a harvesting tool better than the basic tools better than the previous stage AND some special cosmetic item (I cannot think of an item for a gatherer).

2. Chaox

Chaox Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Renaissance Man - played "Rule, Britannia!" on a piano

3. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Great ideas! I like most of these, and I plan on adding some to your list after some thought... My two opinions so far are ...

1) kill/number counters should not be low, achievements should take a while to "achieve".. long term goals!
    2) A lot of people/companies think they have to be funny or catchy, I don't feel this way (the occasional one is good). As someone with 60k+ achievement score (xbox) I prefer the ones where thought is put into and the time/effort is rewarded. Not everyone should have them in the first week of a release.

Just my thoughts! Can't wait to read more.

SirRichard likes this.
  4. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

I would love to see one for those who visit/frequent player run establishments in some way, e.g. Barfly. Another for listening in to Avatars Radio for a long period would be nice as well.

This is kind of far out there, but I'd ike to see one for the loose group that have been visiting various rooftops since the early days of testing... ;) [Edit: Was dubbed Climbers of Britannia or CoB. Its probably not really easy to measure height in a specific locale..... anyway just a thought as a nod to the earliest days]

Another tribute to the earliest period would have something to do with chickens, an obscure tribute to the chicken room, the first view some had of this world. Anyway, I guess I'm all about the odd achievements as the creature counts and treadmill badges don't do much for me.

Boy_Graham and SirRichard like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I once equipped a tankard and punched a bear to death. It took a long time.

Hazard and SirRichard like this.
  6. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I really like these ideas but I really want to see the game as a whole take more shape as well as abilities, crafting, travel, groups, encounters and whatever else we have in store.. The more the better!!

I think a really more prudent question should be, how can they add some content like that is easy to program/manage/bug free and things like that..
    If the main programmer has to take time aside to handle these kinds of things once they are implemented then it's just wrong... He (they) should be focused on things like fluid instancing, group play across instances/the world, server/client optimizations...
    Same thing for NPC's dialog and other behaviors that need to be tweeked at the micro-level... It would like to see the company's mind shift more towards people being able to collaborate on development servers?? I don't know, not a programmer or level desginer but it sounds cool..

Ironically (or not) having cool artwork to go along with this stuff should be easy to program in, so that way players can get more content via methods like fancy UI things

7. Elgarion

Good points, Brenton. I didn't really put much thought into the numbers since likely they will be adjusted if used. If anything, they're ratios of effort. I do see perhaps even the ratio of effort could even expand to perhaps communicate that effectively. I'll adjust accordingly :)

Ah, funny is just my preference so you'll see that the ones I suggest tend to be on the silly side. Achievements aren't really quests or lore related, so it does offer the opportunity to be a little silly :) And I fully fully agree, they should not be super simple. One, someone should put in effort to get it, and two, they should rarely happen automatically or by accident. Though... the occasional accidental one can offer some entertainment. "Rats!" just rubs it in, don't it?

Hmmm, the achievement system is coming, so we might as well support its creation, eh? Ignoring it doesn't mean it won't be coming our way :) In fact, by helping think of achievement ideas to populate their list which they'll need to work on anyway, doesn't this help free up time for them to work those systems you mention?

Brenton likes this.
  8. Boy_Graham

Boy_Graham Avatar

I would really like to see a reward system included with the achievements. With crafting I would like to see multi-stage achievements I will give a couple of examples:

Example #1

Adept Armorer
    Crafting
    Craft 250 pieces of armor

REWARD:
    Reward Title - Adept Armorer
    Reward - Choice of a production tool better than the basic tools.

Master Armorer
    Crafting
    Craft 500 pieces of armor

REWARD:
    Reward Title - Master Armorer
    Reward - Choice of a production tool better than the basic tools better than the previous stage.

Grand Master Armorer
    Crafting
    Craft 1000 pieces of armor

REWARD:
    Reward Title - Grand Master Armorer
    Reward - Choice of a production tool better than the basic tools better than the previous stage AND a special crafting apron or something similar.

Example #2

Adept Harvester
    Crafting
    Harvest 2500 items

REWARD:
    Reward Title - Adept Harvester
    Reward - Choice of a harvesting tool better than the basic tools.

Master Harvester
    Crafting
    Harvest 25000 items

REWARD:
    Reward Title - Master Harvester
    Reward - Choice of a harvesting tool better than the basic tools better than the previous stage.

Grand Master Harvester
    Crafting
    Harvest 50000 items

REWARD:
    Reward Title - Grand Master Harvester
    Reward - Choice of a harvesting tool better than the basic tools better than the previous stage AND some special cosmetic item (I cannot think of an item for a gatherer).

Obviously, the the titles and numbers could be adjusted as this may be very similar to other games. Also, I didn't want to be too repetitive.. but any production profession could be applied here. ex. Grand Master Weaponsmith, Alchemist.

In my experience achievements are used to help new players explore the land and give them items that may help them along the way. Rewards are not a must.. but the good feeling of achievement doesn't work for everyone. I have played many games in which nobody would even bother with the achievements because there was no title.. or reward. Your thoughts?

Boy Graham

SirRichard and Mata like this.
  9. Boy_Graham

Boy_Graham Avatar

I like this idea a lot, this kind of exploration is a great idea. My only concern would be what if one of the owners of the establishments quit playing the game... Then the achievement is broken. But I would be all for NPC run establishments which will not change. Maybe visit certain NPC establishments within player run towns. I like the Avatar's Radio idea also

SirRichard and Hazard like this.
  10. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Good point. Having the development team manage a fluctuating list of establishments is probably not a smart use of their time. In UO I had kept lists of shard-specific guilds and establishments (and the like) after running a daily newspaper for about two years straight and it was never fully accurate. The lists fluctuated pretty heavily as people came and went and websites changed (rune libraries had the same problem with out of date locations and maintenance). Anyway, needless to say it was hard to always get right as something was always outdated. Perhaps an achievement could just be flagged to POT's and total time spent there in general. You enter a POT, you stay for a timeframe.... you get credit.

If establishment signs are added for POT owners to signify the type of business they are running, the data could likewise be drilled into and a specific unending list of proactive establishments wouldn't have to be maintained and investigated. You enter 10 POT taverns, or buildings with ale or something signifying a tavern on the sign, you are thus a novice barfly or gossiper, or what-have-you. They could also maintain a public list with amount of people entering in a given amount of time, so POT buildings were flagged when they cross over a specific threshold of foot traffic. It would require programming but traffic counters were something they also added in UO, so probably doable given this type of achievement is something they want to pursue.

This could be another reason to visit taverns. "Hey Strongbeard, tell me of the best establishments in the Hidden Vale" "Sure pal, here's the top 10 this week [display list here]. Are you going to buy something now?" (or, "Go check the board in the back you newb.").

11. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Boy_Graham!

Boy_Graham likes this.
  12. Boy_Graham

Boy_Graham Avatar

Thank you! I've been watching for awhile.. figured I would add my two cents.

Mata likes this.
  13. Mata

Mata Avatar

You're welcome! :)

14. Elgarion

Not sure how I missed reading Hazards full post, but I added more of his entry. If you see your ideas don't make it to the first post, nudge me! :) I put his rooftops one but didn't put his avatar's radio one or the barfly one. Corrected!

Hope you like my embellishments :) If not, I will change them certainly :)

Also, I added a reward line to each one to fill in later. Feel free to add suggestions only for rewards for items missing them. Great idea to include that suggestion, Boy Graham!

Boy_Graham likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.