To those who care...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TRLobo, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRLobo

TRLobo Avatar

Oh...and it's STILL raining.

2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Are you planning on trying to make your in-game barn look like the real life one?

TRLobo likes this.
  3. TRLobo

TRLobo Avatar

If only. LOL!

By Tor [MGT] likes this.
  4. TRLobo

TRLobo Avatar

Well, we had a dry morning, so Little Lobo (though he is not so 'little' anymore), Mrs Lobo, and I put up eleven of twenty pieces of reclaimed corrugated metal roofing before I was completely spent. I'll get some pics later if anyone is interested and post them.

We were using scaffolding made of four sawhorses and some 2" x 12" planks. Turns out that I'm not tall enough to reach to the high end of the barn, so...we need to put taller sawhorses together before I can do the rest. Oh well, "man plans, God laughs".

Tomorrow it's supposed to rain again, and I have to see the dentist, so it'll be a down day for my aching body. We're planning on getting the rest of the roof on Thursday or Saturday.

Thanks to all for your words of support and encouragement. It really does give me a bit of motivation to get it done.

Regards to all!

Katrina Bekers and By Tor [MGT] like this.
  5. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

If I were in Texas I would probably rush out to help you out with the barn, but I'm not even in the USA. It sure takes quite a while to build anything with such a crappy weather. Be sure to post the pictures when you're done! I always enjoy looking at the effects of honest hard work even if it's just me chopping wood (although I guess it only looks that good for people who actually did the work :) )

Also...bathouse? I didn't even know such thing existed! Why would you want them near your house? I hear they often have rabies. I guess they eliminate some other small rodents and harmful insects? Or is it just to have those cute things around?

TRLobo likes this.
  6. TRLobo

TRLobo Avatar

Thanks for the offer RedDeer. The bats are far more effective for mosquito population than sprays. The Small Brown Bat species will eat between 350 and 1000 mosquitoes in a night (a single bat). Rabies in bats is often overstated. Sure, there is a chance of it occurring, but it is very unlikely. Also, bats won't attack humans unless VERY strongly provoked (except for the Vampire Bat, but they aren't in my area, so no worries there). I keep my dog vaccinated as well, but she's getting pretty old (like me) and would rather stalk and attack a pork chop than get close to a bat. She won't even chase the rabbits out in my yard. We're more likely to encounter a rabid skunk than a rabid bat, but we all know what to watch out for.

Just for the record though, any very small prey species (gophers, rats, mice...etc) that contract rabies usually won't live long enough to pass it on directly. Their system is so small that it kills them quickly, or they act unnaturally and move around in the open, or in the daytime, and are consumed by a predator (so I've been told by a veterinarian friend).

And...they are VERY cool. :)

Oh...but you might get creeped out by all the snakes that we have around. Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes, Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes, Copperheads, Water Moccasins, Coral Snakes...and those are just the poisonous ones. They take care of the rodents for us. :)

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  7. TRLobo

TRLobo Avatar

Sorry, but update on the barn. Little Lobo and I rebuilt the sawhorses for the scaffolding, and should be able to finish up the roof this week...barring any unforeseen events. Good night to all and thanks again for the support.

8. Kit Kimberlin

Kit Kimberlin Avatar

Grats !!

TRLobo likes this.
  9. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

I'm not THAT afraid of snakes. Probably because I know that there are just a few of snake related deaths each year and most of the victims are either careless snake owners or drunks teasing snakes or going where they shouldn't. Although I would still keep quite a distance from any snake I see to lower the risk of it attacking me ;) (totally not running away! Nuh-uh!)

TRLobo likes this.
  10. TRLobo

TRLobo Avatar

WOOHOO! We FINALLY got the rest of the roof on this morning!

Not going to do the sides until next spring. We do things like that in Texas. Unless we want to work in the dark so we don't end up standing in a puddle of our own perspiration. Well, and the price of corrugated metal has gone up again, and the budget needs a little time to cool off as well.

Mrs Lobo took some "action" shots of Little Lobo and I crawling around on the thing, trying to get it done before the cursed (pronounced "Kurs-ed"...two syllables) sun rose up over the trees.

[​IMG]
    "You ready for the next piece, Dad?"

[​IMG]
    "So, what now?"

[​IMG]
    "So now that we're both up here...who gets the next piece?"

[​IMG]
    "Hand me that drill when you're done, Son."

[​IMG]
    We managed to actually get the roof done today. Tomorrow I add on some exterior shelves for gas cans and a locker for paints and such. Tonight at least, my tractor gets a break from the weather.

For those who may have noticed, I actually DO have a butt. It's just the baggy work jeans.

Mata, Katrina Bekers and unicornslady like this.
  11. TRLobo

TRLobo Avatar

Just another note. The majority of the project was accomplished with reclaimed lumber and roofing metal. The brackets are new, as they don't hold up too well when the old one comes down. Even the screws were reclaimed from the old barn.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Cool prictures. Thanks for sharing. Im happy you are making progress.:)

Katrina Bekers and TRLobo like this.
  13. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Congrats!! :D

Katrina Bekers and TRLobo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.