MMORPG: Release 19: Player-Centric Development

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes i thought it was a great article too, just a little vague on the combat since combos, and balance are only one aspect of it. I would have liked to get a better take on what it will ultimately be like. Right now it seems the barking wolves could be gone, but the feel and sound are very important, like hitting and having your character animation run inside the creature does not look right to me. So waiting for more improved visuals and sound anxiously for combat. I think that could help a lot. Thanks for sharing as always smack.:)

smack and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I appreciate you posting this. Crazy week and totally missed this otherwise.

smack and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  5. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

I loved the part about gust ball "uh-uh! Too many uses of one skill! Exploit! Hey...wait...Gust?! Wtf!"

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Gustball is very popular RedDeer. You'll have to check it out;)

7. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Who is Red Thomas?

Nice article. A bit too much on the praising side, but the joint devs-players effort is awesome. Unless you are one of the players NOT involved, I mean. But then, probably, you should just get more involved?

8. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Nice article indeed.

smack likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ah something else to throw at my old RP fellows from my NWN days. :) At least I finally managed to get one to try out SotA.. it only took 2 years. :p

smack and Dinsoo [MGT] like this.
  10. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Is that meant to be sarcasm? I honestly can't tell, especially because I do my best to bugfix, give honest feedback, and ask questions that will help the Devs clarify their thinking and advertise their game during the Hangouts; as I know do many, many others here. We've just not had MMO articles about us, or perform to the level of British Empire Medal winners. One of the questions I submitted last time was

"2.) It’s good to see the Devs crediting the players who named individual streets for our cities; have you used any other player ideas, and do you plan too?"

But it didn't get asked that time around. I'd like to see it addressed some time because, as this article shows, it would be fantastic publicity for Shroud, and great community relations on top.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

12. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

No, it's not sarcasm, it's my opinion.

Having a single question unanswered in an hangout? HA! NOOB! :D

Participating in the joint efforts should be its own reward. I do the same as you do, submit bug reports, participate in the feedback loop, ask questions (at times answered in hangouts, but not always), and help players understand the limits of this effort - even on toxic places like Steam.

Still, I don't feel I'm entitled to pretend any kind of reward, or acknowledgement or even gratitude for my "work". Because, being voluntary, it's its own reward, as I said.

And I can't honestly complain if I'm not involved any further than I decide to. I'm not privy of the Dev+ forum, because I didn't pay for the privilege. My choice, I always knew about the consequence. Same with QA server: I may growl all I want that some players already play with new toys, but it's ultimately my choice not to participate that deeply. There are people who played this game 10x as much as me, who arrived at lvl100, who invested huge amounts of resources. I will never, ever be able to complain that they've been picked up as Special Interest Group and shown and asked details I'm not (yet) exposed to. They shown, with their real involvement, a lot more care than I shown. I don't question motives, but I can't honestly say I did as much as Winfield, or Themo Lock or Kazyn Phoenixfyre or Duke Violation. If they've been invited in behind-closed-doors meetings and I'm not, there's nobody to blame; I know I'm a second-row player, but exclusively by my choice. Blaming anyone else would be childish. And now, please, don't ask me if I think you are.

Excusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta. :p

Dinsoo [MGT] and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  13. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Well there I disagree; I think this thread shows that articles where players are credited for their support is a genuine Good for all involved. I used the street names as an example because that got into a newsletter; it'll then encourage more people to submit ideas for street names, and help take the load off the Devs, whilst improving the potential content. And if they can then say to the media "Look at how great our community is, look at how engaged they are in developing this game" then we get more articles like the above.

It's not about rewards, but rather if the devs are able to say "Hey, that's a great idea, we're mulling that over!" in public, it makes for a much better atmosphere here and in the media.

I just don't believe that you have to but in time and effort to be credit-worthy. Only thought and heart.

Balandar, RedDeer and Katrina Bekers like this.
  14. ricoxg

ricoxg Avatar

Some schmuck who lives in San Antonio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.