My Journal

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Gubbles, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

@Lum,

Please add these features:

(1) Ability to write notes, or annotate existing, journal entries.
    (2) When loading the journal, open the last page viewed.
    (3) Table of contents linking to specific unfinished quests.
    (4) Blank page separation between mutually exclusive quests.
    (5) Ability to remove pages, quests, snippets, and forget I even started the quest.

Haz, Womby, Jocularis and 10 others like this.
  2. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

I find the Journal extreamly chaotic, It makes questing very painful and unenjoyable; to the point where I keep a notebook on my desk that I rewrite all the quests in order of how to they can be completed. I can only imagine the hardcore players will be the only ones who actually like it how it is currently.
    I'd suggest a more "typical" form of journal/quest log to satisfy the more "typical" gamer.

Dorham Isycle and Tarsin like this.
  3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The current journal is one of those things that look like a mere placeholder for a fully functional game mechanic. It is so good to see concrete and constructive feature requests.

Jocularis, Benn289 and Tarsin like this.
  4. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

The Journal is nice, but yes I'd sure love to have it with better functionally. Even having a Table of Contents similar to the Crafting Journal's would be great!

And a way to write your own notes & that you could also alter and erase would be sooo handy. If not incorporated with the Journal, then hopefully a function of scrolls or blank books.

Another thing I wish is to be able to mark that I've completed entries to the Journal. Just being able to put a X or a checkmark next to the entry would be lovely.
    :)

Benn289, Tarsin and cartodude like this.
  5. Benn289

Benn289 Avatar

Word.

I'm all for quality of life assurances. +1

Tarsin likes this.
  6. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

This game has been designed for the old-school gamer, which is a big part of why the journal is so lacking right now. That said, Tarsin, I think your ideas are quite reasonable. Since we do have a journal, making it a bit more functional (without the hand holding of auto-selecting/clearing quests) would be welcome to this old-school gamer. I don't want the journal to auto link to unfinished quests, but if we're checking them off on our own, and can scribble down additional notes ourselves, it could be a reasonable alternative to the pen and paper. Also, perhaps the basic functions you bring up could be applied to any player-made book in the game.. If the mechanic can be used by more than just the journal, it could be more likely to get implemented!

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Me I've been requesting adding notes to the friends list as long as I've been in the game. Making an editable journal of ones friends as well.
    Just like an old scool black book where one could put notes next to ones contacts.
    "Never lend Mike money...."
    "Met through maze event, got lost together. "
    "Found at the bottom of sewers, gave food and armor, promised to visit in Holtrot"
    Etc

...and that such notebooks would be craftable and pages consumed over time.

KuBaTRiZeS, Miracle Dragon and Tarsin like this.
  8. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We tried to get an update to the journal in for R20, but it JUST missed the cutoff. Expect some improvements in R21.

Duke Raas, Haz, Elhaym and 6 others like this.
  9. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Cool :)

10. Womby

Womby Avatar

There are several things about this game that give me a Morrowind vibe. That is mostly good. The Journal is not one of the good things.

(The other bad thing is archery. If only it could be less like Morrowind and more like Skyrim.)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Miracle Dragon likes this.
  11. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

That is exciting news. Any chance of the journal having sections? Such as flipping to a bookmark for Ardoris notes, Owl's Head notes, etc?

12. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Any chance of a cookie trail with actual cookies :p

13. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

[​IMG]

Dorham Isycle likes this.
  14. Haz

Haz Avatar

For the first time in game, I'm actually looking at the journal. I'm actually gonna try some quests this time......

The ability, at the very least, to mark or move completed items out of the way would be extremely helpful. It's already getting to the point that I don't want to open it as I have to drag thru the first couple of pages knowing there's a paragraph in there somewhere on something I should complete. "I know I saw something about something I should do while in Adoris, it's somewhere, I just gotta find it!!" I can only imagine what it will be like if I really get into it and have a dozen pages to sort thru.

I still remember my early days in UO.....had a notebook next to me that had hand drawn maps, a section on friends, one on guilds, one on where to find certain items, or how to do certain things. I had one section that listed people I was hunting in game. Had to rewrite that damn thing about every 4-6 weeks, lol. Ain't going thru that again.

Thanks Lum for the heads up on the simple fact that there will be some changes, appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.