Newbie with some questions (release 19)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stridecolossus, Jul 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stridecolossus

stridecolossus Avatar

Hi all, been keeping my eye on this game for a while and thought I'd take the plunge and give it a whirl. So far I've enjoyed the experience, for a pre-release build the game is solid and engaging.

However I'm now struggling to work out what to do. I realise it's pre-release and a sandbox game (which I much prefer than being hand-held through a story) but could do with some pointers, so:

1. I've completed various quests from the refugees and residents of the Soltown starting area, done some exploring and made a start on gathering and crafting. This was fun but I'm now at a bit of a loss what to do next. All the towns nearby seem to be player housing areas? Are there further places that offer more quests, or is that it for this release? (I've been given a couple of quests in Adoris and the Kobold Hat one but they seem to be in areas that are above my level at this point?)

2. It's very hard to navigate on the world map (or at least I'm finding it so). I've managed to turn on the English names that appear under the runic script which helps somewhat, but it quickly becomes disorientating if you do any amount of exploring - is there an equivalent of the town maps that you can get hold of somehow? Otherwise the only alternative seems to be searching online for maps which can't be right (again, I realise it's early days and maybe something like this is planned?)

3. Minor-ish question: I have a quest from the tailor in Soltown to craft a leather helm, but I cannot find a recipe to make it. Managed to (accidentally) craft an epic leather helm (which requires a bolt of cotton cloth) but that didn't complete the task. Is there a recipe I'm missing? If so how can I find it (the tailor doesn't offer it)? Or is there another way to make a non-epic leather helm that I'm missing? Or is just not working atm?

4. On the various youtube videos I've seen players have pretty looking bags whereas I've just got a boring UI list. Are they using crafted bags or something? Or is there an option somewhere?

5. The trainers in Soltown do not offer any options for crafting skills other than the gathering skills. Are the other crafting skill trees not implemented yet? Or do I have to find higher-level trainers? If so where can I find them?

Thanks for any advice :)

2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

First off, welcome to the community!

1. In the early releases of the game, only the Hidden Vale area was opened and not this main continent of Novia. So there are more quests implemented up in the Hidden Vale. You can reach the Hidden Vale via Lunar Rift or boat. There are quests in Soltown, Ardoris, Graff Gem Mines, Braemar, Kingsport and Owl's Head currently I believe. There is a really cool larger quest that I think is coming in the next release.

2. I think the point is to make you feel like you're really exploring. There will be a world map you'll be able to see in game eventually. For now, check out this wiki: http://sotawiki.net/sota/Novia

3. There are vendors that sell the recipes, or you can use the SotA Wiki http://sotawiki.net/ to check for recipes.

4. Go into the game settings. You can switch between list inventory and GUI inventory.

5. I haven't been on much to play in the past few releases, but I think gathering skills are the only ones implemented so far. You can make items, but they don't have skills to change your success rates in production or refining. Those are coming. Likewise not all the recipes are implemented yet or all the crafting types. You can't farm or fish yet, but those are coming.

3. Mata

Mata Avatar

4. Elhaym

Elhaym Avatar

Also, be aware that there will be a wipe on the 30th.

5. MahiFish

MahiFish Avatar

I have a couple newbie questions too. Since yours were answered, I hope you don't mind me tacking on a few.

Is grinding mobs generally the accepted way to level up? Are there alternatives for low level (10-12) players?

For skill builds, do people typically take primary attack + secondary attack + focus + tactics? Armor instead? Are there any skills that are nearly mandatory across builds that would be easy for new players to overlook?

I've seen videos with people with combat decks that have 8-10 slots and refresh insanely fast. How do you expand it and get it faster (other than the focus skill)?

Is the market in Ardoris the best place to sell goods starting out? Are there other outlets?

Is it/will it be possible to buy property and houses with in game currency, or is this a cash only perk?

6. Mata

Mata Avatar

Market or Public Vendors are in Owl's Head, Solania and Kingsport, too.

You can buy houses with in game currency/Gold.
    In Owl's Head upper the bank is the Houses/Basement Vendor.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Quest experience is also nice, especially at low levels.

The hope is that when the game launches the skills are fairly balanced so that any build is viable.

The Focus skill tree is the only way to get more slots and faster refresh.

Markets have regional economies. If that vendor has already bought tons of crafted leather goods from players, they'll pay less for more leather. So you can go to another merchant who doesn't have that in their inventory and get more.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  8. MahiFish

MahiFish Avatar

Where are the lunar rifts? I'd like to find the Hidden Vale, but don't know where to look.

9. Mata

Mata Avatar

It is one lunar rift in Owl's Head. This bring you to Solace Bridge and back to Owl's Head.
    [​IMG]

10. Mata

Mata Avatar

Are you in the tutorial?
    When yes, you can use(doubleclick) the little boot, on the river near the bridge, brings you to Novia.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  11. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The boat I know of in the tutorial brings you to Soltown, in Novia. Is there another boat?
    Besides taking the Lunar Rift from Solace Bridge to Owl's Head (the largest town in the Hidden Vale), there are two other ways to get to the Hidden Vale from Novia:
    1. There is a boat from the dock in Ardoris that takes you to Kingsport, a town in the Hidden Vale. Ardoris is currently the largest town in Novia, located on the southern coast.
    2. Outside of and immediately west of Ardoris on the overland map there is a boat that will take you to the Hidden Vale. You end up outside of Kingsport.

Happy Exploring!

steanne, Mata and enderandrew like this.
  12. Mata

Mata Avatar

[Quote = "Kara Brae, senden Sie: 396929, Mitglied: 142.185"] Das Boot Ich weiß, der in das Tutorial führt Sie zu Soltown, in Novia. Gibt es ein anderes Boot? [/ QUOTE]
    Du hast natürlich recht, Kara Brae, sorry. :)

Kara Brae likes this.
  13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I would go get the hat quest first, there's only a few days left before the next release, the hate will in your account and won't be wiped... This quest is very simple and you don't need to fight, from Soltown just follow the road west past Ardoris (notice the boat floating in the ocean to the south, that boat takes you to Hidden Vale), continue along the road going west, it will split, take the road going north, through the pass, then to the west again, continue following the road until you come to a mine entrance, the road ends so you will need to go overland backtracking abit, then west again until you find the Kubol fortress... Once you enter that scene, the Kubol are docile unless you attack them, find the captives, talk to the leader and I think the quest is done, the hat is a special reward only offered during the early releases...

Mata, veridos, Elhaym and 2 others like this.
  14. stridecolossus

stridecolossus Avatar

Thanks for all replies guys, very much appreciated, the community here seems really good :)

He he not at all. I like the fact this game has a pretty steep learning curve (exacerbated by being pre-release of course) so the more dumb newb questions the better I reckon! ;)

Mata and enderandrew like this.
  15. MahiFish

MahiFish Avatar

Perfect! That helps. I'd seen all those places referenced - Owl's Head and Kingsport, but couldn't find them.

Mata and Kara Brae like this.
  16. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Ooops, my bad, the leader of the Kubol wants you to find an "air canon" which is in the mine, there is a bandit to defeat and it's on the 1st level, just sitting there on the loading platform, not a big deal... If you want to just run by him and grab the canon, you can do that too...

Good Luck...

17. lenni

lenni Avatar

Nice some of you have answered the same questions I was trying to figure out. Thanks!
    Was about to start a new thread but decided to search around :) Especially the one about the limited hats or mask.

Oh and yeah, this is my first post. P
    Can't wait for R20!

enderandrew, Spoon, Mata and 6 others like this.
  18. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Welome stridecolossus, Mahifish, and veridos!!

This Thursday will be a wipe, which means a chance to trade/sell/melt addons and what not before starting R20.
    R20 has a bunch of new content, changes to systems like combat, and of course, a new hat quest! :D

Mata and Kara Brae like this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Stridecolossus and veridos to Shroud of the Avatar. I'm happy you got your answers. Also Mahifish another welcome to you. It is confusing when you first start and hopefully you got answers to get you going. I am majoria in the game. Please whipser anytime you see me in game and add me to your firends list if you'd like. I'd be happy to meet you. To see your friends list to add friends just hit the 'f' key outside of the chat window. To see your emotes just hit the 'o' key. Also to see vacant lots in any city if there are any hit the 'p' key or talk to a town cryer or some guards. If you highlight another player and emote it will show you as talking to them. to whisper right click someones name in your friends list or right click another charater to see all the options available. To return to the regualar chat type/l to go back to local chat or use the x by the whispered persons name. Also there is /p for party and at this time you can zone to your house if you have one using the the 'u' key outside of chat but only if you have a lot claimed. Expect some of these type of short uts to change as they are temporary fixes while we are in pre alpha. There are many little tricks, so just a few clues for you. ;) As to what to do: You can try doing any of the events people put on. There are gustball events quite often, pvp tournaments, sometimes decorating or creative types of events, there are guilds to join who hold events, and the current release will always have a hat quest or mask quest or who knows since it is always secret until release that is account bound so you get to keep in as yours and doesnt go away if the game wipes. Also many new things come out each release, new places to see, new recipes, new items, as we go along armor and wearable, fishing in R22, taming is coming in this release, Zombies just came in, and Trolls are coming this release. So there will be more and more to do as we go along. So thank you all for joining us and hopefully you will enjoy the ride and sometimes it is a roller coaster :eek: but still quite an adventure.;);) **cheers**

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Mata and Spoon like this.
  20. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome veridos!

veridos and Miracle Dragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.