Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R20: REALLY dark skys

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Pleione, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

There is a slider in the options that allow you to control how much of the target is highlighted. By default, it's turned all the way down. I had to turn mine up some because I couldn't notice it until I did. Might help you out a bit if you didn't try that yet.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is a recurring complaint. :-(

You can turn on high dynamic range but then everything is too bright and washed-out during the day.

3. Jocularis

Jocularis Avatar

there is a tonemapping option in the video settings. It works pretty well.

WarmCat and enderandrew like this.
  4. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

In the game options under the section called 'Game' (if memory serves), there is still the option for the outline. It is a small slider right at the bottom of the list.

Aldo likes this.
  5. 0pi8

0pi8 Avatar

Thanks, Ravenclaw
    I may give that a try, but I think SOTA just made me realize I'm no longer cut out for the daunting task of doing the same thing over and over and over again as this "Kickstarter" has done. Post wipes with no gold, no skills, no nothing?!?!?! If this is a test, open it up a bit if you know there is another wipe coming....c'mon guys, really!!! Not only do I feel I am going insane trying to level back to the point of being able to kill a wolf again, or for that matter, a rabbit; I find myself in the dark....literally, more often than I should be. I am cautiously optimistic that the communities (cough.....cough "Lord" Garriotts) vision may someday live up to all the expectations, but at this point I feel I am just chasing nostalgia and am over it.

R20 has finally made me see this.....thanks fellas.

Dread Lord Noob Sabot - UO Great Lakes - 97-2007

6. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Part of not 'opening things up for testing' is that economic progression itself is being tested, which can only be tested by wiping and seeing how everyone progresses a few times. The Pre-Launch economy will wind up being used to populate the initial loot drops post-Launch, which is another reason to try to keep progression as natural as possible.
    I suggest waiting for Launch to see the game in a more finalized state, if iterative testing and feedback isn't for you. They do tend to listen though, last release walking speed and random encounters on the overworld were adjusted a few times to specifically assist the speed of testing.
    I have not experienced the darkness to be 'unplayable', for me it is beautiful. I do think there needs to be a little more ambient lighting inside houses though, to represent the 'reflective' quality of lighting in real life. At this time, lighting seems too directional, it only lights up things directly in the light-source's line of sight, when in reality light bounces and reflects filling up the corners of a room with a softer glow. (and when flames dance, its shadows should dance with it!)
    They do remember your level from before each wipe, and give you double XP post-wipe up to your old experience level. So that's something.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  7. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

We can gamma this and tone-map that all we want, which are marginally helpful. But the bottom line is that nights are too dark to play. Solution is for brighter nights, and/0r much shorter nights, and/or much brighter lights/torches/spells.

I no longer play at night, because basically, I can't play and still enjoy the game. All those beautiful scenes and graphics, and can't see a damn thing.

In UO, there was an option to turn off dark nights. Would be nice to have that in SOTA.

Lockeydragon and FrostII like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Absolutely, completely agree with Budner on this.

The nights are both too damn long and too damn dark. It is not fun to play or test. One of the people that I play with daily - the one who always finds a way to adapt to most anything - finally said that she just finds things to do around her RL house when it's night in Shroud. And she's probably the most "immersive" among us.

Not conducive to game testing - just plain ridiculous....

Lockeydragon and Budner like this.
  9. Citizen WarmCat

Citizen WarmCat Avatar

Turn on tone mapping in the video options, after turning everything else off, and turning that one: massive difference!!
    I can now at least do stuff round town during the night now, and adventure during the day.

10. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

i like the realism of it however I agree that early testing is the wrong time for hurdles.

FrostII and Budner like this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

@Chris...please give us a gamma slider for R21 :)

But yeah, gamma will allow us to normalize the darkness but that still doesn't mean the lighting/shaders are working as intended / optimized / polished / or even fully implemented. I wonder if they're even using the GI in Unity 5.

12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Let it be night, but let the moon shine or something.... This is silly.

13. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I used to play at night, but I've tripped over the cat one too many times.

FrostII and steanne like this.
  14. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Created a task for the gamma slider. I think with the sky box work left a few scenes darker than they should be and we just need to touch those up.

Also, make sure tone mapping is on! I know a few people had to turn it off a few releases ago because of a bug in the mac/linux version and that black out problem but those have been fixed.

We are NOT using GI right now. We will be moving a few scenes over to it but honestly it is just buggy as crap right now. Unity 5.2 should fix some of the issues people are seeing now with bright squares on terrain and nasty performance problems but it currently just crashes when we try to open our project in it! It is in early beta but there is a chance we will get to switch to that before R21... possibly a small chance at the current rate of progress by those guys. :(

15. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

After some experimenting, holy crap, turn tone mapping back on NOW and we need to remove the option to turn it off. We added that in because there were some agonizing bugs in the tone mapping but I solved those last release.

Go to options->video and look for tonemapping option. Turn it back on and let me know if you can see your feet at night again! :)

16. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the thing about that is that the daytime sky is overblown with it on. the first couple of inches at the horizon are solid white. not worth keeping it turned off for, but if you're tweaking the skybox anyway...

Miracle Dragon and FrostII like this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Chris
    I've had it ON forever... The nights (in many areas, and certainly the overworld map around the NE and NW of Novia) are simply too dark.
    Or, please, just take a night jaunt around - oh say - Deep Ravenswood for example - and see if you'd want to hunt/gather/harvest there at night.
    Just sayin.......;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  18. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

I never turned tonemapping off but always felt that the nights were very dark. Especially on the overland map i had difficulties to not get lost.

FrostII, Ice Queen and Lockeydragon like this.
  19. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

I leave tonemapping on. What I don't get is that they don't seem to grasp that the reason this is a recurring complaint is because its a big problem. Because a some people like it super dark and are VERY vocal about it. So the wind has blown. Now that the rest of us are fed up, they just don't seem to understand why its an issue. Guys you need to listen up. The days are too short and the nights are too dark. We arnt saying make them like daylight. We want the effect of it being dark but we need to be able to see to get around and what you have done, though slightly better: Still... Just... Isn't.... Cutting... It. We know you have a lot on your plates and though you do listen on so many other things, its like you have decided not to on this. Its just puzzling.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Ice Queen and FrostII like this.
  20. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I don't agree with the 'shorten the nights' request. If nights are adjusted visually to be playable, then why would the nights need to be shorter? From a gameplay perspective I hope nights are not shortened, because there will be many things (monsters/resources/etc) we can only do at night.. even one entire skill tree is based specifically on playing at night (the moon tree), so it seems to me that the game is being created around pretty equal amounts of day and night gameplay.

Look at what Chris said up above, they created a task for the gamma slider, and a lot of the lighting issues will be corrected naturally as the game is 'polished'. I think this is evidence that they are listening to feedback. Although the nights seem fine for some people (like me), let's see if the nights become more playable after the changes. Obviously if you have a light spell or a torch in hand, you should be able to see the ground you're walking on. I think it's odd some people say they can't see where they're going, but this is Pre-Alpha and if i can see fine and others can't, perhaps it is a bug. *Please post screenshots in the bug forum so they can see exactly how the lighting isn't working properly and fix it!*

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.