Idea: Endless levels

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Archangel, Aug 7, 2015.

?

Reset character level for exp bonus?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archangel

Archangel Avatar

Everyone knows how boring it is to reach the max level(or soft level cap) and come to a complete stop. To counter this I would suggest making level resetting available. For example, if you reach level 100 and reset you will receive +1% exp bonus the next time when you're leveling. Second reset = +2%. So after 100 resets you would gain twice the exp and hopefully enable you to reach level 125 or so.
    Resets would be available ar 100, 200, 300, ... levels. So if you reach 200 and reset then you would gain +2% exp.
    I want to hear your opinions.

Heck, this is called Avatar - one who is reborn again and again so why not really have the opportunity to become like a phoenix - die and be reborn better, stronger. Even add karma points that would influence how NPC's will treat you while questing :D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Atogrim likes this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sorry Nope, and 100 will NOT be all that easy

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

hrmm.. a lot of people complain about the grind and quite honestly I don't see how this would appeal to those. I'm sure there's a lot of folks who would be happy enough to just hit what they consider their top desired level as quickly as possible just to get it out of the way and won't want to do it again. At least not without some other significiant incentive.

On the NWN server I was on we did something similiar. At level 20 and level 40 if you "rerolled" you could get a stat bonus applied to your character. +1 at level 20 and +3 at level 40.. with a max allowed of +10. I later expanded on this with reward items from another reward system we had. Needless to say.. everyone rerolled at least once or twice.. since in NWN there wasn't that much more to do except get really creative in a very small community.

At any rate I wouldn't recommend that kind of thing for SotA. Ideally there should be enough content and activity in the community to keep things lively. If you're looking at end-game scenarios the focus should be on the community and what tools Portalarium can give them.

KuBaTRiZeS and 4EverLost like this.
  4. Archangel

Archangel Avatar

I never said it should be easy to reach 100, but it shouldn't be a the dead-end either.

Atogrim likes this.
  5. Archangel

Archangel Avatar

Dev's will never be so fast to be constantly creating new activies. And creating a level cap is a mistake done by countless other MMO's. There are players who play just for the sheer joy of competition.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I never said the devs should create new activities. I specifically referenced the community.

7. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I prefer leveling/skill gaining to take a long long time. I wouldn't really want to do it again for no reason other than leveling. I like the act of moving up in skill with my character, and if it takes years to do, then it's good...keeps me playing...gives me goals etc...

Themo Lock and Hettar Fimbultyr like this.
  8. Archangel

Archangel Avatar

i don't like char leveling either. But if this absurd copy of WoW gaming style is here to stay it could be at least improved.

9. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I'm awaiting the new skill use stuff they talked about adding...I am hoping it's more UOish...I loved how long it took me to max out any of my 7 skills in UO...I just enjoy the character development...I did not like WoW trees and leveling, but the tree system in WoW was better than what we have here.

Hazard likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hmmm well this game is not going to be about leveling anyway. Your level won't determine if you win a fight well if you PVP. There is not much your level will be determining. Questing and role play is a big thing in this game. Levels will not come easy. You will just play the game. If you are one who finds leveling and grinding the only part of the game you want to do you may find it difficult. The story will be deep and the adventures will be many.

For pre alpha the focus has been on grinding and leveling because there was not much else to do to test the system. From now on things like that are starting to change. So I don't see how resetting a level could happen. It would be like unlearning something/mind control to make you forget that you once knew how to use fire and now it burns your fingers again or accidentally goes off and starts a nearby table or chair on fire.

So while I agree that we should have ways to do many things I'm not sure resetting levels would work because it will be tied to so much, your oracle status, how much you know about the world etc. So just my opinion. :)

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  11. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

At level 100 it restarts.

To get to level 101 you need to do levels 1-100 again. Your prize is a unique snow white hair color.

To get to 102 you need to have 101 and redo levels 1-100. Your prize is a comb-over with 3-6 hairs, your choice. I don't know the female equivalent.

The final level is 103. Requires the same as above with another redo of 1-100. Your prize is a special bald tanned head with liver spots.

Edit: you also get a title "Masochist"

12. Archangel

Archangel Avatar

Still better than endless questing with youtube guides

13. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Sounds a lot like "prestige" levels in call of duty... pass...

14. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

If I remember correctly, Skyrim has a skill reset mechanic. It is interesting because the character is forced to specialize in certain skills and can't be a jack-of-all trades. If you have played for a long time as an archer and want to try something completely different (like a mage or a tank), resetting the skills is a great option.

Before I can make up my mind whether I like your suggestion, I want to know more about how levels and skills will work in SotA.

15. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I don't like this. I don't want "leveling" to be my reason to explore the world, but exploration and aventuring being an end in itself. I want to feel as i felt in Ultima Online where i decided where to go with my mates to see what shenanigans may happen that day... problem was you can't do it unless your character were skill maxxed (well you can, but PK's will take advantage of it). Since devs promised that characters from level 30-40 should be at least competitive as a goal design, it's intended for us (and i'm happy for it) to level while we explore, and not the other way around. That kind of feeling is already in since rewards per level progression is not linear.

I hope they reach this design goal through skill and player advancement balance... Once the game hits release i plan to level up without any hurries... i don't want to feel the pressure i had in other MMOs to level up to be able to enjoy the game... and i don't feel comfortable having more levels after the levels, as i don't see the reason behind it.

16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Interesting idea.

I would rather have ever increasingly levels that are exponentially more difficult to reach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.