The need for lower level enemies

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Damian Killingsworth, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Been there, done that. :D

Boy if it hurted... Nowadays I'd be totally unable to fight it.

2. dracco

dracco Avatar

hay I can take out a timber wolf with my mage . just before Im ganked by two crocodiles one babe crocodile a bandit a ruffian and two more timbers on the way.

and some say thay miss the pk .with animals jumping you like that who needs reds LOL

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  3. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Boards. I definitely meant boards. :p

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Snakes have also been in past games, theyd be interesting if they could vary in size and also bend in different directions and coil around. That way, if they're large beasts, they could surround the avatar in several directions, and you could hit them from several directions. I imagine swamp snakes also, that would emerge from the water underneath the player and disappear back down, and occasionally try to constrict the player.

5. Skizz

Skizz Avatar

I agree about add some low lvl creatures.

But anyway, you can raise fast your skills in Hidden Vale, I've been training for 3 days and now I can kill 6 bandits at the same time. ^^

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  6. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Please no, I'm the Avatar, let me have some dignity.

Duchess Wyldemane and Doom Angel like this.
  7. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

Im not sure why , we would need more low lvl monster. After one hour of skill training , you can easily kill grizzly bear , wolf etc.. and for the money there is so many little quest you can do just to get the money for a full set of armor , a weapon and learn a few more skill to help you !

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    Duchess Wyldemane and Raven Noir like this.
  8. Kendaric

Kendaric Avatar

Because not everybody wants to wear heavy armor or use melee and/or spamming Healing Touch. Also, greater variety in creatures is a good thing.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    4EverLost and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
  9. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

As a ranged should be easier , since you kill zombie and stuff like that and don't get poisonned . I don't understand your point , cause you still can easily get leather armor too... you can dodge easier than a warior ...cause your attack is ranged.... There is already lot of low lvl and easy monster in the game. So the time they could ''spend'' making more low lvl monster , that you gonna anyway kill for what 30 minute ? before switching to something else. The time they spend doing this , they don't spend it on higher creature and end game stuff that you gonna play several hours with.

I totally agree with you , greater variety of creature is a good thing. But not getting half this variety from boars , butterfly , and other useless low lvl stuff.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  10. Kendaric

Kendaric Avatar

Depends on what you define as low level creatures...
    If you define it the same as the rabbits, chicken, etc. then I´d call it ambient creatures rather than low level mobs. While we don´t need a lot of them, a bit of variety is still nice. I was more thinking along the lines of boars (would be at least grey wolf level) and other normal yet dangerous wildlife (lynx/bobcat, etc.).

KuBaTRiZeS and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
  11. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

The ultima series had many interesting and unusual creatures that weren't necessarily the same old same old.

Carrion Crawlers. Mongbats. SandTraps. Tangle Vines, Emps, Headlesses. The list goes on, any number of these could be lower level enemies. I would prefer any of these to boars or other earthly creatures.

To be honest, im a bit concerned about the heavy use of earthly creatures as opposed to original ultima-type designs.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Should be both bubonic. The game is currently missing a lot of earthly creatures that were in the original games. rats, bats, snakes, were all in all of the games. Deer and rabbits and bears were in. Boars we just need to be able to hunt :D For the most part, the nasty stuff in the original games were only found in dangerous places or at night, as it should be. You want monsters to seem like monsters, not commonplace wildlife.

13. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Yes, that is correct. I think I'm reacting to what I feel like is missing. Ultima also had normal wildlife, but I distinctly remember coming across roving bands of headlesses and ettins just randomly out in the fields in the middle of the afternoon. :p

14. Kendaric

Kendaric Avatar

It depends on which part of the series you refer to ;)
    Ultima also had orcs... not sure we want those here. Mongbats would be nice though and I expect ettins/ogres to make an appearance but those are creatures that should be confined to remote wilderness areas. I could also totally see ropers in some underground location, but most of the overworld stuff should be fairly mundane.

15. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Why wouldn't you want orcs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.