No world chat in Shroud is a security risk, kills newbies, and perhaps a kitten or two.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greyfox, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I said in the original post, I wish this was a fictional account. There are people who have never used IRC before this game. The technology came out in the late 1980s when the Internet had no security and everything was shared.

The person was trying to register their name with the IRC client. Not sure why they put up their Gmail email and password, but it happened and will again. I could see someone easily posting their Shroud User name and Password in the open, while trying to register their name on the IRC. I see an option for SSL, but it should be the default and only option.

There are still people, quite a lot, who think Facebook IS the Internet.

In game chat channels with a global option would help.

2. Tydes

Tydes Avatar

Yes this actually happened. People make mistakes and just because you are tech savy, doesn't mean that others are. If the devs & community are advocating the use of an external chatroom to communicate with each other, then there should be an in game chat system. People are often quick to call 'immersion!', but quite often they only want the amount of immersion that suits them. Where are the thieves ? Where are the highwaymen?!

sn0tub and Solazur like this.
  3. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

This has indeed happened and it's not just some newb thing. There are many ppl who do have "some" history with computers (my 1st was a Kaypro) who for whatever reason have had a lapse in familiarity with a facet of the internet that may have previously been 2nd nature. Things have changed over time.. indeed much has changed since IRC was a "new thang".

I myself typed in a PW in IRC... something I haven't used since...hmm since the turn of the century. It happens all too often that folk (and I've been guilty myself) forget that there was a time when they too were new or had a lapse in the usage that bred previous familiarity. Global chat would be a very welcome and enhancing (community building) thing in the game. The only downside I can think of is it requires a "nanny". Lord knows we don't wanna be spammed with 12 year olds trying out their new 4 letter words nor with gold sellers etc.

just my 2 cents.

Tyde likes this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Global chat only ever brings about spam and trash talk.........so for the sake over everyone's sanity ........lets give it a miss.

5. ledoc

ledoc Avatar

FWIW, this has happened. Sometimes the overly snarky elite forget when they were new OR when for whatever reason they were no longer as familiar with a certain aspect of internet usage. I'm not
    Or, how about we give it a go and those who feel it's not something the want to use can simply turn it off

Tyde likes this.
  6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

when i was new to gaming, people took me under their wings, personally. i NEVER begged or groveled in a global/zone channel for help. i still game with those people today, mostly i'm helping them now. i do not consider my case to be the norm, though i wish it were. brings a personal touch to things that just makes your experiences richer.

on the other hand, there are people who don't want that, maybe a lowbie channel, that you are by default in, but can turn off if you wish, and are by default out of when you reach a certain "level" of sorts, but can opt-in if you wish to help people, and it only talks to people within a certain radius of you, not the whole scene, so it will still help combat against gold sellers and trols to a point.

Tyde likes this.
  7. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

So there are two sides.

1 - All new players are nearly 3 standard deviations below the bell curve on intelligence and need ample hand-holding to help them or else we won't get their cash and the game will die. Not because of mechanics, combat, housing, lot locations, add-on store, pvp, lore, death, or anything else the game is based on, but because they won't have a global chat to ask the price of fat at a vendor while they are dieing in a forest to grey wolves. These new players are gonna be sooooo lost that they will not have any ability to think "hey - maybe I can go to a town and ask for help on my questions." No. They are so inept that all reasoning is lost and the only way to sate it is to have global access to Chat. Mandatory everyone has access to it. No, they can't join or be given the option and spammed to join the BMC or New Players Guild. They are just that incredible slow that we all need to pitch in and help them no matter what we are doing or where we are at. Having private conversations is nearly taboo, and instead every question needs to be asked for all those in chat to see around the world. If the game has 10000 players at launch, we need all 10000 to start off in the same chat so that the 3000+ backers can help the 7000+ individuals that will have no idea what they are doing.

2 - That the majority of all players are going to be within 2 standard deviations and can probably figure things out, or have the ability to ask people in the zone for help. They can already add friends and whisper, join a guild, and have other communication techniques and can eventually see that the need for a global chat doesn't fit with the grand vision of the game.

It is a slippery slope. If you are going to cater to a global chat on the assumption that new players are too lazy to look up stuff or ask people in zone for advice/help - Then you might as well prepare for global auction house, LFG, Dungeon/Raid Finders, Quest help with maps, Deadly Boss Mods that can just play the game for them. Because why not - if you don't have it you will loose out and the game will die.

Of course, many won't see it that way. Its only global chat and you can opt out. How can it hurt? You could opt out of using the auction house, how can it hurt? You can not use a raid finder, how can it hurt? You can forgo using moongates and just walk everywhere you need to be, how can it hurt? You can just play without looking at icons that tell you everything you need to do, how can it hurt?

Stay Standard.

Logain and Lord Hettar Fimbultyr like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

We could also try to build the rest of the game first, too, before we add a global chat.

Have the tutorials in, the quests in, the role-playing tools like bulletin boards and newsletters, the game mechanics that create a need to go into taverns, the lack of wipes so there can be an actual player population, etc... Then, if all of that is in, and new players are having trouble at that point, then maybe the discussion will be more apropos.

9. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Good idea but no, they just need the help. PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER dmn skeltz rekt me lol PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER hey whr is mongat plz? PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER PRICE CHECK ON ALLIGATORLEATHER

That's what some people literally want to see everyday when they log in. Helping out the new players for a friendly environment.

I hope you are right - finish everything else and put this low priority BS on the further backburner they got.

10. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

Jesus......

I am not tech savvy, in fact i have no idea of the pc i have and what the specs even mean if i did find them. bought my pc off my bro. He sets up the internet, looks into it when it dc's and all i basically do is mainly game and internet.

You dont have to be tech savvy to see a chat, and know not to type your details into it because those are real people on the other end and its a chat not a sign up thing. You cant really expect people to be able to and have to design games or anything around people like that, while the rest of us suffer those design decisions also, the drawbacks from those few, special, people. (like gold spamming, toxicity, immaturity, wanna be trolls in a world chat etc)

Its like designing games based around hackers/cheaters/botters without regards to the rest of the population and when they have to deal with some of the side effects too. You cant please everyone and you certainly cant cater for everyone.

Also its not quite as easy to say "well you can just opt out" well no, not really, because itll be the main and before long almost only form of communication because its global, its so easy and global, besides maybe guild chat for only communication with your guildies.

So we would be missing out on major parts of interaction with eachother, other people and random strangers that all end up using global chat instead of the good old fashioned way, if we opted out.

At the very least there would need to be a "free for all" channel for the kids or anyone that has the mindset of a kid and scammers and flamers, and a moderated channel for normal, mature, non attention seeking people. That, would solve the problem mostly.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  11. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

You know what frustrate me most?
    Players who think every thing should be explaint in a guide from the frist second they play the game, and best dont let be there an option that they can loos lat them allway win.

When i first played the game i looked arround i tested areas out where i would have good chanze to level and i sticked with the quest and i never had problems.
    Plus tons of peapel help you if you ask them and there are a lot peapel who running around in this game.

I bought this game a frind some weaks ago. He picked up the game and he played.
    When i asked him how is it going he said wow it was hard but i found a place to train up and since then iam fine.
    He played the game he explored the game with out any help and with out the need of a global chat.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Logain, Kara Brae, Enfo and 6 others like this.
  12. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

Here we have no shown that We as a sota community will never agree on anything nor compromise to any other idea than our own. Thank God none of us are developing this game. Or that majority rules. 7 pages deep now and the only thing that has been proven is how much we can hate the other side of our personal views... its no wonder why we get reviews of difficult to play and unfriendly... but that all changes with a good starter intro and whatever other means we devise or use. Very few solutions were added the only thing i saw was stought support for one side or the other..

sn0tub likes this.
  13. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

SotA got a review of being unfriendly? they cant have been on the internet before....
    It's safe to say I don't have a life, I have been gaming online for 20 years and no community has ever come even close to this one.

Hate is not the word I would use either, more like passion and fear but I do agree that this thread wont ever lead to anything ;)

Logain, Enfo, Ravicus Domdred and 2 others like this.
  14. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

that is so true compared to other forums i have been so true this is one of the best communities i have ever had the pleasure to be a part of

15. Rabum Alal

Rabum Alal Avatar

This is an ironic post given how hostile the thread in general is, as your previous post pointed out.

16. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Many times you don't even have to ask, people just come up to me and ask if they can help or if I want to group.
    Being the loner that I am I haven't accepted much help and get by just fine by doing exactly as your friend, explore. So as far as help goes I really don't see why we would need a global chat.
    Keep it up community! you're doing a great job :)

Tyde, Kaisa and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Agreed 100,000%

Logain and Lord Hettar Fimbultyr like this.
  18. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

But you are against open PvP and full loot?

Its just the old "Immersion" argument. Its all down to various degrees to suit the individual. People dont want global chat that has to be opt into but use a third party chat system. WTF is the difference?

People claim gold traders and spam will permeate the open channel but then bleet on about how great the SOTA community is. Its this community that is going to be playing! And I assure you I dont get my jollies off spamming a global chat. I honestly doubt that gold traders are going to be bothered trying to set up in this niche game. Plenty of niche MMOs/Selective Multiplayer/ whatever its called today dont have Gold Spammers as a problem or an over spammed open world channel.

Far as communities go...this is way to clicky

19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

same here. my first thought was "oh my gods, there is no Easy Button, this is AWESOME!"

lol yeah. about scouring the darkweb for data. that alone should let you know it won't be easy.

then quit clicking.. *grin* - i agree there ARE cliques, but that happens everywhere. not with everyone though. me, for example, asides from two specific people, i like everyone else to a degree. it used to be three, but new data came to light. regardless, i've found more positive feedback from this community to the devs, and more helpful folks in the game, than i have in any game to date - and i'm not even talking about ratios, just flat numbers here. that is a feature of this community i hope the devs realize they MUST try at all costs keep, even to the point of how they code the game in its minutiae.

Logain, sn0tub and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  20. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Like any family, we have disagreements and internal conflict. A bit of name calling and even some outright virtual physical assaults. In the end a family will defend itself against all outside attackers. They will remain family to the end.

Global chat would grow our family and build stronger bonds with those you do not know. I would rather suffer through dozens of gold spam (not likely to happen) to make one new friend. We already have more aftermarket gold selling and RMT in Shroud than most MMOs, even before release.

The gold spamming will be minimal in such a niche MMO, not being F2P will further limit the spam. The gold seller spam is a poor argument. I can type /ignore <goldspammer> in 2.1 seconds. Oh the agony!

Immersion breaking poor argument. Nearly countless other more "immersion breaking" features already in game. Besides immersion breaking for one is a must have feature to another. Gaming is about fun. If Shroud were really immersive, all of us weak 21st century gamers would quickly die.

Regional trade poor argument. We are on the Internet, trade will happen outside the game. In game people will own multiple properties in various geographic locations. Only a fool would think a few "chokepoints" will prevent collusion and global trade from occurring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.