Troubles with wild animals.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robby, Sep 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robby

Robby Avatar

I find myself just wanting to travel thru the different maps and seeing what there is to see and specializing mainly in hunting and gathering of raw materials. Thing is, the one raw material im having the hardest time acquiring is animal hide. There too strong for me to kill! If I try to fight one wolf I end up having to run or end up a ghost. Im so wimpy.... Is there some kind of strength elixir or potion I can drink to make me strong! Like Popeye!?
    Im trying to learn skills like agro decrease and escape, the light armour skills because im mainly trying to avoid all the skeletons and stuff and specialize mainly in getting herbs, wood, cotton, leather. SO if I can hide, be stealthy, and skin a bear here and there, my character will be doing just what im trying to make him do! =P
    Im doing a lot of foraging in solace forest, but theres so many animals that want to eat me there... I just wish there was some way I could conquer this forest! Then I could plunder it for all its resources.
    And btw.... how do I chop down trees? Do they still fall over an everything when you chop them?

Soulicide likes this.
  2. Forest Dweller

Forest Dweller Avatar

The only way I grew stronger was to try and kill the wild beasties. Slash, die, slash, run, die. :)

It helps to have a nice set of armor. I'm not at my computer with the game installed right now or I'd buy you some.

I've whined before in forum that I can't gather resources without expecting something to attack me. I don't think something should attack you every time you try to harvest, but...oh, well.

Also, you might get someone to accompany you into the forest or wherever you go to harvest resources to offer you a little protection. (Hint hint: Majoria. LOL)

(Edit: ) Oh, yeah. When I first started playing this game I was frustrated because I wanted to stealth. I have a couple of stealthers on another game and I miss them! :) I don't think there's any stealthing in SotA, although it's fun and has its benefits.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    Kaisa likes this.
  3. Forest Dweller

Forest Dweller Avatar

PS If you follow the East Perennial Trail from Soltown down to Ardoris, you'll see a boat there (using the overworld map) that will take you to the Hidden Vale. Click the boat to travel. You'll arrive at Kingsport. Exit Kingsport and travel north toward Owl's Head. There's a place with skeletons and bears that you can fight a lot easier than the wolves and skeletons in Solace Forest. It's on the trail to Owl's Head and is called North Valeway. There are some resources you can find there: copper ore, iron ore, garlic, cotton, nightshade, sulfurous ash, maple and pine tree.
    It has spiders at one end but I just run to the middle and leave them behind.

4. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

There is stealthing in SotA, it's in the Moon magic tree :) but harvesting nodes reveals you, or it did in a previous release when I tried it.

Monsters and animals in different areas seem to have different difficulties, same as resource nodes do. If you're struggling to kill wolves in one scene, keep trying others until you find one that's appropriate for you, and try other animals like stags and livestock - I'm not sure exactly which ones give hides now, but it's still extra field dressing practice for when you're tough enough to track down those obsidian wolves!

Epona likes this.
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

The actual stealth mechanic isn't in the game yet. You can clearly see skills like "Silent Movement" in the light-armour branch and "Backstab" in the... um...Tactics? I think?

For the time being, the only tangible solution is to go to Solace Bridge and fight Skeletons and Zombies until you're strong enough. There ARE some wolves and spiders there for you to hunt but they're not as common.

Mind the spiders, their poison is nasty business.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    Epona likes this.
  6. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

The obsidian wolf are very tough, so until you reach level 50 I would suggest you stay awat from them also stay away from the RED spiders they too are tough..

There are many other creatures that are good for lower levels. so I would go to East Perennial and the such and fight as much as possible and use the spells as much as you can so they can level up..
    figure out what weapon you want to use for close ranch and what you want to use for long range weapon and stick to it..

EG.. I use a polearm for close attcks and arrows with a different type of deck for distance attacks and I stuck to it and now I am at level 94 polearm and Fire,choes,death above all above 30 some at 60..( I fight alot )

7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I would suggest, Robby, that you consider going to a lower level area to train skills first... All the skill trees have changed, and many 2nd tiers require min skill in the previous tier... Use "auto attack" mode and you will find you swing your weapon twice as often (if not more) as opposed to "free attack", therefor you Use the skills related to your weapon more often, the Tactics tree has Str and Dex improvements in the 2nd tier, and Heavy Lifter in the 3rd tier for improved carry ability...

I also mainly gather resources, and there is quite a few critters to kill while going after those resources and the lower level areas like south valeway have easier grey wolves to kill as opposed to elder wolve, I'm level 35 (press V) and 2 elders will kill me quick, so I rely on heal potions (in the beginning), then heal magic to survive, but running is still an option... Work you're way up to Kings road, then north valeway, then west ravenwoods and you should then have enough skills worked up to come over to Novia...

I'm also using "Pole arm" halbert for it's longer reach and ability to hit multiple targets, using swirling strike (a 3rd tier)...

You use a "Harvesting ax" for forestry, and every use counts, even fails, so keep chopping until the tree falls... I mine mostly and have noticed, in the low level (0-10 skill), the 1st tier gains 1 every 10 uses, the 2nd tier gains 1ea the next 10 uses, then the 3rd tier gains 1 after another 10 uses, then it goes back to the 1st tier, after you gain another 1 point, your % chance gains 1%... I'm sure it scales up the higher you get, but mining is so slow because of the # of nodes available to use, as opposed to trees which there are more of, and melee fighting which you can use your weapon each time you swing (many more times per minute over mining nodes)...

FrostII likes this.
  8. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I suspect that something else is going on here. Robby, do you have your deck assembled according to your equipment? Early on, life and focus are at very low levels and are hard to maintain. Go to hidden vale or perennial trail and pound on some easy creatures over and over. I know it is grinding, but until your life and focus are high enough, no matter what equipment you have, you will be killed quickly by everything. Once you advance to around 15 or 20, you will be much more comfortable in your foraging and gathering.

Forest Dweller, FrostII and SmokerKGB like this.
  9. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Add me in-game. I'm happy to party up with people. I'm usually looking for something to do and gathering isn't one of them. So if you just want someone to help keep the skeletons off your back while you harvest and skin..I'm game. Just let know.

Forest Dweller and FrostII like this.
  10. tc91101

tc91101 Avatar

Go to Hidden Vale near Braemar. Head directly north to West Ravenswood. Once inside follow the path west until you get to the big statue head and take a right to the north where you will find wolves. That is probably about the easiest stuff to kill and harvest in the entire game. Bears are to the south if you want something slightly harder. Also, save about 1000 gold and buy heavy chest and leggings from the vendor in Owls head. The entire armor set use to be on the vendor but I've only seen the two pieces in the latest patch. I haven't played much so someone might be able to give better advice on the armor and where to get it but just those two pieces and about 15 minutes of killing will make everything very easy in this area.

Forest Dweller likes this.
  11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

"Run" being the operative word!

12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You need to work up your fighting skils and pick targets you can Handle. Avoid Running, nacking up a little so one stays on you and and NOT running. Panic causes you to run into MORE than you can handle.

Join up with some people, as stated I will happily join you so you can get exp and help cover your bhind :)

Grumpie Weinie - also look at some of the tutorials. I know they have gotten away from levels but you can still get an idea what skills you want to focus on at the start.

I would stay simple, Fighting Style, Armor Style, some Focus and a little health or death touch. Oce you have your fighting style pretty well established you can then expand you skills.

Gathering is all by itself

FrostII and Roper Docholiday like this.
  13. Robby

Robby Avatar

I don't really understand all the deck building stuff. I try to pull one of the glyphs off the menu I have when I push 'k' and click drag and put on my combat thingy but they don't swap. I'd like use sklls like escape and quadruple slash.

14. Robby

Robby Avatar

Trying solace brige... those zombies are invincible it seems they just pop up after you defeat them. Wish I could figure out how to use a cure plague potion. =(

15. drrhodes

drrhodes Avatar

Hi Robby,

In this game it is particularly hard to get started. I suggest you take up someone on their offer to ride shotgun with you. They can show you where the starting areas are. I'm a Solo Online player, so I can't help you.

There are a few "Tier 1" levels for starting. West Ravenwood is a "Tier 2" from what I perceive and had heard. The other spots mentioned are "Tier 1".

For the deck, the default build key is 'Y'. Press 'Y' and then drag the icons you need for your weapon onto the enclosed hotbar within the deck building window. You'll need to decide if you want to use a fixed deck, a variable deck or a combination. Drop some useful things like "use health potion", "use skill potion" and maybe "use cure plague potion" and fix those, I think one right clicks the enclosed hotbar position that one wants to fix and then choose "fix" or whatever it is called. If you drop a "cure plague potion" card onto your hotbar, that's how you use a "cure plague potion". You use it on the real hotbar by pressing the appropriate number key from the numbers on the alpha side of the keyboard, not the numeric keypad side.

I think that "Escape" and "Quadruple Slash" are "combos". To use them, you must have the right two normal cards in non-fixed positions on your deck. If the right two normal cards are available at the same time then pressing the 'R' key and then the appropriate numbers for the correct two cards should do that combo. I personally use a fixed deck, so I can't access combos and I could be wrong about using a combo.

Zombies and some skeletons must be killed several times. I'm pretty sure that in Solace Bridge, the zombies must be killed twice and the skeletons once. Other areas have skeletons that popup again (and maybe again). Personally, I don't go to Solace Bridge because of the zombies and the spiders. One spider is OK at the start, but they like to gang up on you. I like to use East Perennial Trail for starting, but there are other areas mentioned that are also "Tier 1".

I hope this helps a little. Do find a partner who wants to help, the community seems very good that way.

Forest Dweller likes this.
  16. Forest Dweller

Forest Dweller Avatar

That's why I recommend North Valeway near Owl's Head on the Hidden Vale. The skellies are easier to kill and they don't pop up again.

As far as plague potion goes, I bought a Purify glyph from a trainer and just clicking on it heals the plague. Honestly, I loathe the plague-infested zombies and avoid them like . . . the plague. I never go to Solace Bridge, anymore. The zombies with their plague are just too much hassle. If you'd like, I'll take you to N Valeway so you can gain skill by killing and gathering.

margaritte likes this.
  17. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

Epona likes this.
  18. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I agree with Margaritte, the video is a great place learning about the deck as I just watched it and would like to add. That you may want to keep some skills locked for learning purposes..

I have created a deck called "Learning" and I use this deck when I am in the mode to gather materials and learn new skills at the same time. this deck has all locked skill that are at a low level. when I fight I use mostly the skills to level them up enought to make them usefull in an average zone or area. I also use them to go to the next skill ( like the elemental skills have many pre-skills that you must learn first before being able to learn those.

When I am in the mode for a more chalanging game then I use my best deck..

One thing that I did not ( Until I saw the video ) know about was "Combos".. I have been using all my skills as a single skill.. Which may be the reason why I leveled up so quickly in so many skills thought but I am not sure about this...

margaritte likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.