no questing for me

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Zarad, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zarad

Zarad Avatar

Why do ppl love questing so much I just want to log in kill baddies and loot their corpses I would rather kill skeletons all day then go find someones pencil they lost somewhere, ok so maybe its not a pencil but whatever. I dont even recall quests in uo except npcs that needed a ride to town I plan on doing 0 quests this game no more quests for me thanks.

Leelu likes this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

UO didn't have any quests at launch. I'm not sure if they added any later.

People are free to play the game however they want. If you don't want to do quests, you don't have to.

But this game is both a spiritual successor to UO and single-player Ultima games as well.

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yes, and UO was terrible in that regard.

4. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

You know that you can do all that with or without quests right? Quests won't be mandatory in the online game.

If for some odd reason you're against quests ever being built for the game then your also against the kickstarted game which details questing as a selling point.

Lars, Moiseyev Trueden, Leelu and 3 others like this.
  5. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I kind of feel the same way Zarad... put things front of me to hack to pieces and I'm happy.

I do like that there will be a lot of quests though because they're important to some people.

Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  6. Zarad

Zarad Avatar

I am not against quests I am just tired of doing quests majority of mmos center on 2 things quests and gear these are 2 things that didn't really matter when I played UO there were no quests (that I remember anyways) and the majority of ppl ran around in GM armor with GM weapons mainly because you would get pked at some point so it was unwise to run around with your best gear unless you felt brave that day. each to their own but I say to those npcs, find your own damn pencil I'm going to go farm.

Leelu likes this.
  7. enderandrew

The beauty of this game is the freedom to play it how you want.

Leelu, serolrom, Jacqueline and 5 others like this.
  8. DameTitania

DameTitania Avatar

Quest driven games certainly got old with the kill 12 bears for hides for farmer McNugget stuff. But happening upon random people that you need to dialogue with for certain quests seems immersive to me. You don't have to do them and I think you will level just the same as attacking available baddies. I'm hoping there are more random encounters so the world doesn't feel like a tiny sandbox, but I can still level by using my skills which I appreciate.

9. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

I will be completing all quests that award XP

10. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

Keep in mind, that by you not doing any quests mean you will miss out on the quest rewards. Now I can see skipping all the fluff and useless quests with crappy rewards, but the ones that give good loot? Nah. I like bling to much to skip all the quests.

Nothing says I win like a house full of heads of other players, or a Broadsword of Vanquishing / Halberd :D

Leelu likes this.
  11. Ceara_Quein

Ceara_Quein Avatar

If the skills continue working the way they have been lately, there will not be XP gained from quests. You would have no way to spend it at a trainer and can only gain by using skills. If you only gain by doing, what other rewards would come from questing?

Gear (yes but not the best, which is supposed to be reserved for crafters)
    Skill Up Tome - a magical book you read and instantly boosts your ability without having to use skill
    Items - money, crafting components or special tools, treasure maps
    Something to do with Virtues
    Rare information about celestial events - to be used in crafting
    Nothing - Story line and role play enjoyment only, or to advance another quest to get one of the above

So say you don't like questing. But you are a crafter or farmer. You might be inclined to do some quests if it will further your craft or get you a tool upgrade. What if the quest reward tool is account/character bound?

I agree, some quests are NOT fun. Like in other big games, you get a lot of busy work quests.

"Go to that dungeon and bring me the book I left behind by accident.''
    ''I can't see my true love because my parents do not approve. Please deliver this love letter for me.''
    ''I lost my family heirloom necklace and I will be in so much trouble if I cannot find it.''

Please don't put in busy work quests that have almost no gain.

Let the POTs do their own RP quests if they are into that. After all you did Public Chests/geo cache as part of that, right?

12. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

FREEDOM!

Leelu likes this.
  13. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

I'd like to steal from people's houses. Can I do that?

14. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

But what if the quests give out more xp than farming?

Doom Angel likes this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't think in most games I have loved questing that much, it is a necessary evil, , but it was something to do and also most games are designed around a quest system is what you have to do to level, get the best gear, or experience to raise levels.

I don't expect this game will have grindy quests, in fact many don't or won't even know they have a quest. If you talk to the NPCs they may slip some info to you that you one day you may accidentally do something like talk to an NPC, or perhaps you found a key and talk to a few NPCs and one of them says 'oh thank you for finding my key";) With multiple ways to complete a quest coming in I don't really think anyone could call quests in Shrouds just like other games' questing.

If I wander along and find a note on a dead body or lo and behold I see something glowing on the finger of a skeleton and pick it up and then jump back in pain because the ring is cursed, and now I am running for my life, ill vomiting, staggering, skill reduction, to find the cure, but what is that? I see an inscription on the ring with one wor .barely readable, my journal says maybe I should ask someone about it;). This is an example of what my picture wants to see for questing in shrouds. I do believe we will get something very special.

Shrouds questing, well that is not really questing, but a journey, an experience, a mystery, not drudgery.

Perhaps we will get investigation skills like forensics come in later to see how someone died. I truly beleive there will be more to this game than noticed at first look. Just because it does not launch with everything means nothing. I'm sure it is frustrating for the Dev team who I'm sure listen to great ideas, but oh they have a schedule to release sometime in this century;), but that won't stop this game. This is a game to watch. For me this is 'the' game, and finally that I have been waiting for;)

The Devs have stated that even in Episode 1 content will be continuously coming in, not waiting for Episode 2, as it is completed it will be added to the game. The game will be released before all content is in and perhaps all content will be continuous through the life of the game. I would expect so.:)

16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I assumed that completing a quest would add to one's pool of adventuring experience. If your pool of adventuring experience is empty, your skills can't advance when you use them.

Moiseyev Trueden and cartodude like this.
  17. enderandrew

Not in Episode 1. Maybe in Episode 2.

This is precisely how/why game systems shape how people play.

This is why used-based systems increase grinding. People change their play-style to match the systems in a game.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Do you like to quest?

I do not like them,
    Doth thou jest?
    I do not want
    To Everquest! ;)

Would you like them to get cool gear?
    Perhaps a shield or a shiny spear?

I would not like them with any cool gear,
    Nor shield, nor sword or shiny spear!

Would you like them to gain some fame,
    Raise experience and spread your name?

No, No, I tell you, my answer is the same!
    I will not like them to spread my name,
    And never EVER to gain some fame!

You do not like them,
    So you say,
    But if you tried them,
    Well...you just may! :D

Aldo, kazeandi, Jacqueline and 10 others like this.
  19. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

So I'll be able to steal stuff that people have purchased with real money?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that won't happen.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  20. enderandrew

Not everything in someone's house is something they bought with real money. But thieving might be in Episode 2.

But such activity is not virtuous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.