Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Night time

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Gageman, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

i just got back into this game since somewhere around R14-15, the game is looking much improved, great work, one comment, seems to me i have my candle light following me around a lot more then not, night time seems to be more prevalent to me than day time, i am aware the game is still very much alpha but just a comment

Tears and FrostII like this.
  2. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I believe night is 50% of the game. I haven't had the time to test it, but it's something like 24 minutes = 24 hours. It is a lot of dark, but it's a lot more realistic than other games.

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Our nights are both frequent and long.
    Has anybody checked to see how long each (day/night) lasts now ?

4. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I think 1 real hour = 1 Novian day/night cycle. 1 real day = 1 Novian month. Or an approximation of that.

5. Blackheath

Blackheath Avatar

Day and night are each 30 minutes long. Like the OP, I also felt I was in the dark more often than not and was actually a bit surprised to find day and night are equal.
    Is it good that way? I don't know anything about the cosmology of the world so can't speak to the realism of equal day/night cycle. It has an oddly oppressive effect on me though. Maybe oppressive isn't the right word, but some negative psychological thing. I'd prefer a cycle that was more like 60% day 40% night.

6. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I personally like it. What other game has such nights? Bringing the tavern atmosphere to life. I know your used to 24/7 daytime wow but this game is less cardboard more actual world mechanics.

Ravenclaw [BEAR] likes this.
  7. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Would also like relatively more day time. Note that you can increase brightness in your game settings which helps quite a bit.

Ice Queen likes this.
  8. Blackheath

Blackheath Avatar

I never played WoW so I have no idea what happens in that game.
    In my actual physical world, the day / night cycle varies throughout the year. Only briefly at the equinoxes do we have equal day and night. Those who live closer to the equator have less dramatic changes and those living closer to the poles have greater ones. It is a fact that less daylight = higher rates of depression.

And I must say, if you're planning to have your tavern events only at game nighttime, you are limiting yourself pretty severely. Some imagination will help make those more fun.

Also, don't misinterpret what I said earlier. I like the fact that there are dark nights. I would just be happier if they were a wee bit shorter than the days.

FrostII likes this.
  9. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

As a matter of personal preference, I enjoy the nighttime. Having a 50/50 split works just fine for me.

Razimus likes this.
  10. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

I love the realism of the day and night and the adding functioning of sun and moon magics. I don't like being unable to see 50% of the time. This part of the game is great and dependent on night sight and light spells being better then they are.

Quenton, FrostII and Budner like this.
  11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-11-instructions.15630/#post-255127
    "Dusk and Dawn Longer: The cast shadows during dawn and dusk are some of the most visually striking moments during our game. So, we decided to extend the time that the game spends at dawn and dusk while decreasing the length of night."

Not seen any updates since then on this subject, it also conforms to how I see it happening in game.
    Day is longer than Night. However Dawn and Dusk are looooooong.
    So what most are refering to as "night" is simply the long period of getting darker (dusk) - pitch dark (night) - getting brighter (dawn).

Retlaw, Ravenclaw [BEAR] and Tears like this.
  12. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

I dont mind how the cycles are, or that the nights are quite dark compared to some games, ive always liked night-time in most games

What i do mind however, is that for me the darkest part of the night is the "dusk". The sunsets are fine, but once the sun has set it becomes almost totally pitch black - light or night sight spells are useless during this time (when i say useless they allow me to see a greenish circle, but nothing but blackness beyond the radius of the light spell), and i am honestly unable to play, i have to run for the nearest axit and wait in its torchlight until its over.

What is really strange though is that once the ingame time reads "midnight" (well actually a few mins before it changes) it is then light enough for me to hunt again, it is still dark, very dark, but its not as bad as that first part of night
    In fact from midnight onwards i rarely even use Light or Night Sight, because i dont need them

Im pretty sure its a bug, and a known one, at least i thought i read something to that effect when i first joined the community, i only bring it up again now because it may be what others are experiencing (and because its still annoying me for 10-15 mins every hour) :)

FrostII and Tears like this.
  13. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

There was this one MMO that was in beta testing stages in 1997 that was pitch black night time at all times. It was a great game. Forgot the name of it because it disappeared as quickly as it appeared. Bet it was funding or something. Was an amazing game. The dark alleyways with rats was memorable. Speaking of rats. This game needs rats.

14. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Exactly. Night is great, but casting light really needs to give a bigger light radius, and I think we've already had the discussion about night vision needing some improvement with the UI.

Tears likes this.
  15. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

I enjoy how dark it gets. It actually feels like night.

16. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Night is terrible... and shouldn't be as long as day. I've turned up all my in game settings to the brightest and turned my motitor settings up to brightest and yet it's still too dark, it is really taking away the enjoyment of this game for me. give us all the option to turn the night time darkness off - I bet only a few will actually keep it dark if they had an option.

Lord Baldrith, FrostII and Tears like this.
  17. Noric

Noric Avatar

I'd be fine if light's radius just increased as it leveled. I do not think that is the current case (I've only leveled it to 20 but saw no change)

Tears likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.