Why do we have this violent taming system?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Caladhan, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabum Alal

Rabum Alal Avatar

Myself, I had no interest in taming in UO until I saw someone strutting around with a white wyrm in toe.

But now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know if I'd like to see a repeat of "All kill, no skill."

2. darkthrone451

darkthrone451 Avatar

Im with the OP on this one.

Rabum Alal likes this.
  3. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

The downside being that taming is very few actual skills here. So, like healing, I can't see a reason not to take it no matter what. Which sucks, because I don't want to be a tamer.

4. Rabum Alal

Rabum Alal Avatar

@Fikule

I see what you're saying, but I'm not playing to minmax. I like to role play my characters, and probably won't be picking up skills that don't factor in to who my character is.

What you bring up is a good point in the skill system in general, though. Just give us a 700 point skill cap, already!

5. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

Oh god yeah, if I play with friends I'll be all about just playing as I want.

But I suppose people who do minmax, or, you know, anyone who wants to PvP at all will have to suck it up and take all the best stuff.

And my god yes. Give me a skill cap. Give me the option to put skills to go down. I hate the idea of decay as a "balance" for limitless skills. I hate any system designed to make me feel anxiety for not logging in, it is literally f'd up as a concept..

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Something I'd ideally want to see in the game is also animals going into a kind of resting/sleeping position. IT would make sense, say, if you barge into a wolves' den and they're all on the ground, and only when you come in do they get up on their feet. It would also make sense that one of the ways you can put the collar on them easily is if they're still asleep. A Sleep spell would be problematic because it would have no way of effecting other players in PvP, unless its just another short-lasting stun debuff, and people would find that annoying. However, maybe using stealth would prevent them from waking up.

Another method of taming animals might be feeding them something.

7. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

@redfish
    I imagine sleep could work the same as WoW. A "stun" that breaks on any damage dealt. i.e. waking them up

8. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

If I tame an animal I'd like to be able to work his skills up similar to the way the use based skill system works, and maybe even ways to unlock special skills based on my 'connection' to the pet. Like a loyalty bonus that unlocks a special skill.

Charming a pet to control them should be the lazy way of controlling an animal, and not all pets should be charmed. The 'special skill' would not be available to charmed animals because they require a long term bond to unlock the skill(s). Just an idea.

monkeyrogue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.