Brave New World (Here's to the future)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joeyboots, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeyboots

Joeyboots Avatar

I must give a disclaimer that I am still new here as a player, and being as this is my first thread, I will not be regaling you with my opinion on mechanic a vs. mechanic b, or such and such skill or weapon needs so and so amount of buffing/nerfing. My apologies in advance for depriving you of all the excitement such a post would provide. ;)

With that said, I will instead try to tell you why I finally took the plunge after months of lurking and following the development quietly, reading forum posts occasionally and waiting for a good time to jump in.

First though, I would like to say up front that I was pleased to find out that the majority of the community seems to be quite mature and also seem very passionate about the game and the direction it's development is taking. Even with the aforementioned passion, you all seem quite civil to each other, despite having (in some cases) wildly varying perspectives and opinions. In my personal view, this is to be commended.

With all that out of the way, I would like to return to talking about when I decided to join you all. That time came when R23 released. Enticed by all the neat Halloween stuff, and the thought of all the SOTA players having fun without me, I finally cracked. I plunked down my pledge. Right after a fresh wipe, I jumped in. To my surprise, I found the game already quite functional and with a decent amount of content. I was impressed as this is still in Pre-Alpha. Because of this, I regret not jumping in a bit sooner, as I imagine the game has been quite playable for a little while now.

From what I understand thus far, the potential of this game is vast and may one day fully embody everything I want and need in an online and offline RPG. Not to sound melodramatic, but this may, if it turns out as envisioned, become my dream game. A game that I have always known to be possible, but sadly no AAA publisher would ever take a chance on. But thanks to Kickstarter, a brilliant development team, and a wonderful, beautiful, passionate community, my dream game may now indeed finally materialize.

Other sandbox MMORPG games exist and are in development yes, but nothing out there to my knowledge (20 years of playing MMORPGs and even more playing CRPGs) is doing what SOTA is doing. In my eyes, this is indeed UO2, and in my humble opinion, it's about time. After suffering over a decade of theme park style MMORPGs, it's about freakin' time.

I applaud Mr. Garriott, Mr. Long and the rest of Portalarium for their dedication to their community, attention to detail and interactivity in the game world they are creating, and their stance on facilitating actual roleplaying and it's importance to a role playing game. For these reasons and many more, I am now invested emotionally and financially, and I could not be more excited for the future of this project. New though I may be, I feel like I am home.

To those who read this and are still on the fence, do you wish to live history, or watch it from the sidelines? Think about it. Here's to the future.

May fortune smile upon you all my fellow Novians. :)

Cianna, Perlateo, SmokerKGB and 22 others like this.
  2. Apollox Evanheart

Apollox Evanheart Avatar

*Raises Glass*

Hear, Hear!!!

majoria70, Mata, Addison and 3 others like this.
  3. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

4. Nataurz

Nataurz Avatar

Mata and Joeyboots like this.
  5. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Nice to have you with us!

Mata and Joeyboots like this.
  6. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Did you not notice the entire community mostly consists of about 20 people who post endlessly because they are INSANE Hhahahaha

Welcome to Shroud my friend... ;)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    licemeat, Sheriff, Mata and 1 other person like this.
  7. Acred

Acred Avatar

Welcome to SotA, Joeyboots.

Now you are helping to make this game become what you hope it will be.

Mata, Ellrynn, Miracle Dragon and 2 others like this.
  8. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Welcome Joeyboots! The game is indeed getting better with every release, and I have every confidence that it will be as awesome as you hope. And the community is pretty darn good too:D

9. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Joeyboots!

10. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Welcome Joeyboots!

11. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Ahh! Oh no! Another mature, thoughtful, well-spoken, passionate-yet-polite Portalarium pledger! You're totally skewing the natural bell-curve here.. I'm not sure the industry can handle this amount of high-caliber community support in a modern RPG online/offline computer game fan base. Welcome Joeyboots! Every member in this community has a voice, and on these forums, the Devs are like the Oracle's Buzzers and Clankers ... always there, always watching ... just think about that the next time you go to pick your nose! :p

Numa, Asclepius, Sheriff and 6 others like this.
  12. Ellrynn

Ellrynn Avatar

Welcome Joeyboots !

Joeyboots and Mata like this.
  13. Addison

Addison Avatar

Hiya Joeyboots!

Joeyboots, Mata and Apollox Evanheart like this.
  14. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Welcome!

As long as your opinion continues to maintain with the status quo you will be well received. The mods do an excellent job of weeding out the defiant few!

And being polite never hurts!

Cheers

Joeyboots likes this.
  15. Joeyboots

Joeyboots Avatar

Thank you Miracle Dragon, you are too kind! I certainly do feel welcome, and I thank you all for making me feel so.

So I guess to set the balance right again the next new person must be an angry troll then? ;)

I love the level of involvement the staff seems to have with the community, it is quite refreshing. It is one of the biggest reasons I decided to join you all. After many years of devs that hardly listen if at all, it is quite the treat to actually be able to talk and give feedback directly to the dev team. I mean, I have only been signed up for 3 weeks or so and I have already spoken with members of the dev team personally. To me that is insane, but very very welcome indeed.

Miracle Dragon and 4EverLost like this.
  16. Womby

Womby Avatar

Welcome Joeyboots!

17. Numa

Numa Avatar

Glad you found us @Joeyboots :) It's high time you came out of the shadows Avatar !

18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

@Joeyboots
    It is my pleasure to read your positive and well thought post, Thank you... Welcome to SotA... I hope your feedback will inspire the development of this grand game...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.