Regarding Focus Regen Out Of Combat

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Bulivyf, Dec 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bulivyf

Bulivyf Avatar

Is this something that is up for revision in the future? I've not played in awhile, so not sure how far along the combat mechanics are towards finality. Any skills revised to increase focus regen aside from Passive stance, which is limited by having a 15 second cooldown (and barely helps at all :( )

Budner and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  2. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Is it too slow, you mean? Or too fast?

Tap Soul and focus potions may help, if you think it's too slow. Also, raise intelligence - with skills or equip.

If you think it's too fast, well, then don't get out of combat! :D

3. Bulivyf

Bulivyf Avatar

The slowness is what has me concerned, sorry if I was unclear. I'm levelling Tap Soul as well, but focus potions are outside my budget.

4. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Testing the progression of in combat focus regeneration is about all we can do at the moment. I would just assume low intelligence and skills might make for a painfully slow regeneration rate. If it still feels that way after leveling up related abilities, then we might have a problem.

5. Bulivyf

Bulivyf Avatar

Fair enough :) Yeah, it may be something that is too painful at start in particular and becomes less of a problem. Hopefully a middle ground can be found in the future after testing.

Leveling my stances though is proving pretty nightmarish due to the 15 second cooldown, so that may be something I'll bring up in the future when feedback is asked for regarding the issue (Passive Stance being the "dump all offensive and defensive capability for Focus regeneration")

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Both focus and health regen are crazy OP, imo.

It all goes back to what kind of game someone wants to play. Do you want it to be challenging or silly easy? I would say right now the focus and health regen rates make the game silly easy and the only thing that's hard is overcoming the bordem of trying to grind your way through the same mobs in an endless carousel of "Hulk Smash" and "Hulk Regen". At higher levels it's more like "Hulk Smash" and "Hulk wait for stuff to respawn".

Skyo likes this.
  7. Bulivyf

Bulivyf Avatar

What level are your skills that make you think they're very easy though? I'm at 24 int, and my focus "refuels' for 3 points a second. I've 167 Focus (I think?), so thats a darn good while to wait in between pulls which may fill a different skill's skillbar by a pixel or two.

If this changes at higher levels, then it may be just a symptom of the "Too easy at high level" message I've seen posted around here a few times.

I agree though, that there should be a balance between grindy/fast regen and quick progression/slow or no regen. If there is a stark contrast between low level focus regen and high level to the extent that its a negligable wait at high end, then it may warrant consideration to boost the base regen but lower the degree of scaling to limit the endgame regen to a lesser rate. This is all speculative of course, I'm way too low level to know how things work up there in the post-50 world :p

But from my point of view, the low-end focus regen is too low to make a melee-centric character enjoyable early on, once you're using a half-bar or more of focus on a target. I cant imagine its very different as other types of character though.

Moiseyev Trueden and 4EverLost like this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

There's a challenge in the early levels for focus and health, as there probably should be.

But if you train in all the innates, healthy, strength, intelligence, and whatever that one is called in the focus tree (the first one) then you'll be good pretty quick... As you get into your 30's and 40's it's all gravy.

Noric likes this.
  9. Bulivyf

Bulivyf Avatar

Well, the live stream just alleviated my worries a good bit :) Or at least thats how I interpreted the question about HP etc scaling in R-25

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  10. Drocis the Devious

The described change is good, it's not great.

I like the idea that lower levels will get more hit points, but I don't like the idea that higher levels will still have this insurmountable advantage. If right now we're talking about a gap of 200 HP vs. 700 HP. And in R25 we're talking about a gap of 400 HP vs. 700 HP, that won't mean a whole heck of a lot.

Likewise, if there's still a huge gap between DPS, then again we're just making the difference less pronounced and not fixing the problem. We'll see what the actual changes are in R25. For some reason we really seem to be married to this leveling system. Progression is great, but progression trumping all other game mechanics and being a required element of the game to be successful beyond the story line, isn't fun imo.

Bulivyf and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  11. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

100% agree. Health and focus regen are out of control nuts, deterring from a lot of the realism. I think this will get a second look soon. My hope is that they will add in out of combat healing abilities or crafting items so we can also address that over 98% of people are in the healing tree......

12. Womby

Womby Avatar

It depends entirely on your play style. If your way of enjoying the game is to run around Deep Ravenswood chasing large red spiders, you are unlikely to consider focus regen OP (health regen requires either going out of combat - not advised in that situation - or casting a spell that uses focus).

kazeandi and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  13. NumberFour

NumberFour Avatar

Focus Regen is not OPed. I am currently level 69. I have all my inates over 60+ and most of my spells are 80+ with their Attunements all over 50+. I constantly am running out of focus when I am casting either in PvP or PvE. Unless I use tap soul almost every time it is off cooldown. I have 367 Focus unbuffed and 406 HP. While I agree that Health Regen out of combat is insanely oped (You dont have to eat food or anything to restore health crazy fast), I do not agree that Focus Regen out of combat is balanced. There should be a skill or something that increases Focus Regen out of combat in the magic trees or something to reduce the cost of the spell based upon the Attunement that you have (IE: The more + Air Magic the cheaper the cost, the more - Earth Magic the more the cost to cast). Just some suggestions. I have only been playing since R23 so I am not sure the history on these things and how they were before.

14. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

I rarely run out of focus in "normal" combat. I combine skill usage with charge attacks to not run out of focus. While i do a charge attack, my focus regens slightly in combat so i use that to keep my focus bar full. This works most of the time, unless i am overwhelmed. If that's the case i just run away....or die.

A question, do you use any spells that require reagents? Since not using them heavily drains on your focus as well.

15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Different builds use different levels of focus. For example, melee bludgeons is quite focus efficient whereas melee blades can guzzle down as much focus and you can feed it.

16. NumberFour

NumberFour Avatar

I did not know that using regs reduces the cost of the spell. Learn something new everyday. Maybe adding something in Light Armor for increased focus regen in and out of combat. It seems Cloth Wearers and Casters are at a huge disadvantage when compared to meleee currently.

17. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

You sure that not using reagents increases focus cost and not just fizzle chance? I haven't noticed there being much difference to the number of spells I can cast when full up on my reagents vs when I run out of any.

18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

ALOT of comments about focus while in combat which had NOTHING to do with the point made in the topic about Focus Regen - - - - OUT OF COMABAT, which really is totally baseless except from a PvP point of view. If you are worried about Focus regen out of combat and in PvE you have a lot more issues. Out of combat PvE regen who really cares. The problem the OP can only have is PvP, when player run out of range and "Hide" and fully regen in seconds.

The solution for this is learn how to fight players and keep them fro running away. :)

19. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Those of us who enjoy PvE care about out of combat regen even in PvE scenes. Especially when there is a very large aggro radius on a lot of creatures and it isn't always convenient to run away, twiddle thumbs for 30-45 seconds then run back. But thanks for thinking that those of us who enjoy different parts of the game are irrelevant.

Also, I agree with OP that the stances need serious reworking as they don't really help or do anything for pure casters and take forever to level up.

Scraps and Alley Oop like this.
  20. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Yes, reagents lowers focus cost as well, even using one of them should lower it. It's like not using arrows for archery skills. With a arrow the skill costs 8 focus, without 16 focus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.