Death.. and Looting. (a proposal)

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Miracle Dragon, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ara

Ara Avatar

There is no reason at all not having full loot as an game set option.

As far as i know RG want to see a game that get the not so PvP interested players to at least try out some PvP. Give them that chance with some sorts of try outs or whatever that dont allow full loot, maybe some quests in the game that have only the option of full loot and PvP. Then it's up to you to decide if that quest is for me.

For the ones in open PvP that want a risk vs reward PvP enviroment with consequences, there you should of course have full loot without an option to remove that feature. If you dont like full loot then play the game that dont allow full loot.

That would make all playstyles happy as i see it.

2. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Hate to contradict you there but we do have a realistic form of resurrection, its called CPR and defrib

3. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Defibrillation will only work on certain heart "rhythms" specifically where the cyclic process of heart cells stimulating one another has hit a glitch. In these cases, the heart is merely quivering, or 'hiccuping', and not succeeding in pumping blood. The shock gets all the STILL LIVING cells on board one count, in the hopes that they can then keep up the beat. Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation is able to simulate heart beats in effect, but only at about 40% efficiency of what a healthy heart would be doing. Neither technique can raise the dead. The best they can do is delay brain death, hopefully allowing for the addition of certain drugs, IV fluids etc. Sometimes we save them. The common rule right now is that you've got less than 10 minutes, IF you start life saving measures instantly.

That means that if we start with an hour old corpse, there is NO WAY that CPR or Defrib would help. Not to mention the kind of grievous wounds likely to be on a corpse found in SotA.

4. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

I know how CPR works, I know how Defib works (I teach the stuff for Christ sake) but think about if you went back in time to the middle ages and used CPR and Defib on a person and try to tell them its NOT witch craft. They were dead, now they are alive, its magic. The claim was that there is no real world base line to extrapolate what resurrection would be like. I disagree, resuscitation is a very good real world starting point to extrapolate what resurrection MIGHT be like. Oh and BTW, they are dead, there heart is not beating, they are not breathing, if they have an advanced directive forbidding resuscitation then legally they are dead. Brain death as a measure of death is quite new actually, certainly not available during the middle ages.

5. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Lol, yeah.

Though I believe it would be hard to use those successfully on someone that has been run through with a sword (or a claw), or worse; something a bit more "powerful" might be required on those cases :p

6. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

What primitive screwheads from the middle ages would have thought is not the point. @Silent Strider said there were no real world examples to draw from for RESSURECTION. You listed CPR and Defib. THOSE DON'T COUNT.

7. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

((Raises hand)) One vote for the Snow White version of resurrection! I hope everyone falls in love with someone before they die in the game!! :D

Hehe.. I could be a professional 'Prince Charming' so I can rescue as many female avatars as might need that 'kiss of life' as needed.. :x

Time Lord and TemplarAssassin like this.
  8. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Ya know, having a true love isn't that bad an option, if you play with it a little. Perhaps we'll all have some friend, companion, sibling, or SO, who cares about us and yet stays safe, and could be involved in the rising from the dead process. Perhaps this NPC companion (who would NOT follow us into danger or help with our economic adventures) might even be involved in parts of the story, and have their own stats, needs, etc. I could see a lot of potential there. How quickly/easily/expensively/effectively you were raised might depend on how well you've been taking care of your friend.

Or, conversely, there's the Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver model, where dieing just puts you back into a nasty netherworld, and you have to fight your way past various ghoulies just to get TO a rez point, from whence you can then return to the world of the living and start looking towards whatever killed you.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  9. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Based on what has been said regarding the story of SotA thus far, my initial idea of wandering clerics roaming the countryside tracking down and rezzing avatars would only work if they are members of some sort of spiritual sect, separate from the general 'avatar fearing' populace..

I still think it's odd that regular New Britannians can't be resurrected, when you could resurrect Britannians in the Ultima series - am I right in this interpretation? If I am, then that might mean changing my ideas of resurrection, and thinking of something different.. any thoughts?

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Hard to say at the moment, to the best of my knowledge we don't yet have the required info. The fact the Avatars (player characters) can resurrect is meant to set them apart, but that doesn't mean there is no way for other kinds of character to be resurrected. There might be many ways to resurrect, with Avatars just getting an easy way due to their out of the world nature.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  11. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

We are doing full loot, I insist.

TemplarAssassin and jondavis like this.
  12. Thunderchunk

Thunderchunk Avatar

Im pretty sure that they said they will have some sort of insurance system for your armour and weapons. Starr was saying in a pod cast that when they dont have any type of insurance system people tend to just hoard good armour and never actually use it.

With that being said, like in UO when someone died and had tons of potions or regeants and also had muliple bags. If every bag you opened had a timer (even just 1-2 seconds) it would take a while to loot someone.

Giving you a chance to maybe get back to your body, or giving multiple people a chance to loot. I for one loved being able to loot people. It gave dieing that much more of a consequence. It also took someone out of the fight for a little bit. If you were a fencer and you used band aids, you had to go back to your house to get more. Or score some off a friend.

Chaos And Order likes this.
  13. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

While I am all in agreement for making death, especially a death in the field in open combat, have lasting consequences for the loser (if not also for the victor), I'm inclined to say that full loot will become very troublesome if the game also includes item based quests, carrying the keys to things, hard to acquire books of spells...

I'm all in favor of being looted of the easily grabbed stuff, but perhaps whatever mechanism is involved in our serial ressurections might wisk our bodies away before ALL our pockets are searched, such that difficult to replace items, keys to lost dungeons, magic flutes for binding the wind into a bridge, etc., are still in your posession when you resume questing. There really isn't a NEED to strip someone naked, and there probably isn't that much profit from it either. Take what's needed, and saleable, and leave the corpse to find it's way back to the world of the living.

14. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Do you have the link? I couldn't find it, and I'm interessed in discussions about this specific element of game design.

15. Thunderchunk

Thunderchunk Avatar

I will look for it as soon as I get home from work :)

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  16. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

If this is true, they just lost one potential buyer of the game. (if you're wondering who might that be, that's me!)

17. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

See, if you carry this kind of items..magic flutes and whatnot, and are so much afraid of losing them then maybe you should consider playing Single Player? They even have a mode where you can play the game with a couple of friends. But the rest of us who want to play with as many people as possible don't need any of that casual stuff. You die - you lose your magical flute. You will have to get another one. Or just play singleplayer instead. Problem solved, no need for insurance whatsoever, no need for "blessed items" and "newbiefied daggers" and stuff.

No need to screw the game for those who want Open PvP and non-casual gameplay.
    Losing magical flutes. You make it sounds like it's big deal. But it's not. It's just a game. Without the thrill one expereinces while carrying around a powerful and important item the game is just a dull wow-like clone.

So I really see no reason behind implementing any kind of insurance into the game. It's just that simple.
    If you are afraid of losing stuff, you have single player and single player-with-friends options, and if you wanna go full online, you got the option to play with other PvMers, with no PvP at all.

This is something for the killer to decide. Not the victim. If the killer wants, they might as well take your head and make a chalice from your skull.

18. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

In UO if you wanted to make it take a long time for someone to loot your corpse you would put tons of different color bags on you and remember the color of the one that had your stuff. Of course this didn't apply to your armor and weapon.

I really like the idea that clerics could track corpses to resurrect you, but how would you stop PKers from using that to track a corpse to loot? A corpse can only be looted by whoever kills the person?

19. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Simple. Only blues can be clerics.
    Altho I dont really like the cleric class the way its presented in this thread - as someone who goes around and magically tracks corpses.

%%id rp a carrion eater tho, who finds corpses by their smell and eats them lol%%

Hm, no. Blue can also loot corpses in Open PvP.
    So..well, tracking corpses is dumb.

20. Owain

Owain Avatar

Why should only blues be clerics? I can image a dark cleric, sworn to the service of Morgoth (or the SotA equivalent - Kali?).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.