I was so excited...

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Patterns, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patterns

Patterns Avatar

A friend I used to play Ultima Online with told me a similar game was being made, we re-lived old times playing that game and laughed alot. Now I get online and see it might have a PvP switch? Why Rich.. you sold us out and we still love you, now you do this too?:'( We won't be playing without proper PvP.

2ez and Guerrilla like this.
  2. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Queing for another round of "Pros and cons of non-consentual PvP with full looting"...

Wsye, Beno Ledoux and Freeman like this.
  3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Well, it's being pitched as the spiritual successor of Richard's Ultima games, which are mostly single-player, so no PvP so there was no PvP in those games.
    Different from Ultima Online, which did have PvP.

There will be PvP in Shroud, but we don't know the details yet.
    Maybe wait and see what happens?

*edited to clear up confusion.

4. Ara

Ara Avatar

Why do you mention full loot? Are full loot as bad as non-consensual PvP?

All of us that want a risk vs reward game with full loot and consequences should have our gamestyle just as the PvE and roleplayers have theirs.

Rodriguez likes this.
  5. Ara

Ara Avatar

Excuse me? Did i miss something?

When was it decided there will be no PvP?

6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

You just misunderstood my comment. There was no PVP in most of the Ultima games.

Mordecai and Koldar like this.
  7. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Maybe you should have paid better attention during the initial announce of the game, and the kickstarter.

We're going back to Ultima's roots. Not one of the branches that basically has a bunch of rotten fruit dangling off of it now.

Ned888, Jossy, skinned and 2 others like this.
  8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

But U5 Paws was laid waste by 9 year old me. NONE SURVIVED. Except that one guy important to the story who respawned.

9. Ara

Ara Avatar

Ok.

10. Ara

Ara Avatar

So Ultima Online is as you see it a game with rotten fruits dangling? Can you explain abit better what you mean?

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I believe he's refering to all the things EA did to UO once RG left, Like adding in elves and dwarves or whatever other nonsense that was done. Makes me glad I left before they did that. They basically started making it a 'non-Ultima' game and as it is now not a representation of what a Lord British game is.

12. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

It is now. Have you played UO recently? It's pretty much fallen apart.

Game shifted to being almost 100% gear oriented. You just grind and do painfully boring tasks to get the latest gear that will just be nerfed in the next expansion pack.

You make a Sampire and close your eyes and go solo all the bosses. It's pretty Un-Ultima at this point.

Necromancer Paladin Samurai Vampires weilding giant elf scimitars while riding 6 legged armored swamp dragons.

It's bad.

Ned888, crachazz, Jossy and 7 others like this.
  13. Ara

Ara Avatar

That i fully agree with. =)

14. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Yep. Currently, when I log on to UO, I just decorate my house and then log off and pretend I had a great time.

I doubt it will recover. Your biggest concern when you logon now is "Which stupid crafting material do I want to mindlessly hunt for".

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  15. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Once again, the slider option as discussed will allow everyone who wants to relive their glory days in UO to all play together in the same pane, you will be surrounded with as many people as agree with you, all openly PvPing, RPing, and having a blast, just like you always wanted. The people who won't be visible to you due to their own setting on the slider WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN VISIBLE IN UO EITHER, they would have said "F this" and stopped playing. IF the open PvP desiring populace is a sufficient number to justify HAVING the setting, then you will all get to play in that world to your heart's content, you'll never even notice the RPPvE crowd being missing.

16. vjek

vjek Avatar

From here:
    :p

17. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

Wow that is sad. Im glad I haven't played UO with all these changes. They sound ridiculous.

18. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

Hopefully they plan on implementing a timer with this so you can just flip flop back and forth. At least a day.

19. Thunderchunk

Thunderchunk Avatar

Well said! If they do have some sort of "slider" system in place like you said. Then the people with it on for PVP are the ones you would have seen ay YEW gate or in Bucs den back in the day. And if you want to go out and not be greifed you have it off and everyone wins.

I think doing something like that will allow both types of players to live in some sort of harmony where we can keep the game healthy and fun for years to come.

FahQ420 likes this.
  20. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

What would be the point of that? Lets say you are a regular PvPer, but you want to be unmolested for a time. You set to friends only, and now you are stuck there for a day? Where's the fun in that? What if you finish what made you set to friends only in an hour?

And what if you are a PvE player who decides to try out PvP, and then you don't like it and change your mind? How many people do you think will sit around for an entire 24 hours continuing to PvP, and come around to thinking that PvP is really great after all? And how many will go straight to a town and log off?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.