Critical Injury & Death Penalties

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It's an interesting idea but I think we also need to cap just how crippling the maximum cumulative effects can be. So I think the devs would probably opt for a simpler across-the-board system that'll be easier to grasp. Perhaps what they could do with large creatures is say.. rather than a critical.. any hit that exceeds X amount of damage has a chance to inflict an injury debuff.

Fister Magee likes this.
  2. Manuel Marino

Manuel Marino Avatar

yeah, that's reasonable and working at the same time.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hey @Bowen Bloodgood,

I'd still say just treating health like durability and doing a cap on max health, like we talked about in your thread Health & Healing, is the simplest way to do it and most easiest to understand. I think its also the most effective as a death penalty IMO, and can also carry over easily to the pet system.

In addition to that, you could also do this kind of stat injury. Although I think if you get into that type of stat injury system, you need something like an 'injury sheet', showing all the injuries the player he has. Because it makes it somewhat more complicated.

Anyway, like I said, I was planning to do a thread on injuries eventually so maybe I'll start one up again and try to make my case.

Bowen Bloodgood and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That reminds me I was going to suggest that the health debuff be the most common death penalty..

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  5. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I wonder how many of us 'pirates' would be willing to give up a hand or a leg or an eye for the cause? :-D I think some of us might like the idea of acquiring a permanent injury that we can keep and won't heal.. I know this isn't quite what you're asking for, but it is on the topic of injuries...

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

One of the things I really like about critical injuries is that it should be pretty easy to impliment. Most of the debuffs will already be in-game in one form or another. Permenant injury like missing body parts is significantly more expensive. A cool idea of course.. but new meshes.. new versions of armor.. possibly new animations etc.. well a hook hand shouldn't be too hard.. but peg legs start getting complicated.

I'm working on a write up where one idea is a debuff being blurred vision you could correct with glasses.. so that might be considered a permenant effect.

7. keldonlighthand[BEAR]

keldonlighthand[BEAR] Avatar

I believe that guilds wars has this type system for death. Where you are debuffed for a time after dying. This is cumulative I think up to a certain level and goes away after a predetermined time. Longer lasting than that from a skill attack but not to long that it becomes a hindrance.

Miracle Dragon and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I run a realistic roman gladiator table top game and severed limbs are par for the coarse, however it's usually the beginning of a downward spiral for the gladiator, I've had a few overcome losing there shield hand and even one that over came losing his sword hand by strapping a scissor to his nub but it never ends well for the slave lol. It's a fun element to the table top but i fail to see how this could be managed in a video game, in my table top, eventually they have to roll a new character, in fact its inevitable lol.

9. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Hmm.. well perhaps we could get automaton parts to replace our missing limbs. ;-D But beware the dark side, or forever shall it rule your destiny.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  10. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Personally I would really like to see characters accumulate "Stress" as they get more and more beat up from adventuring and you have to cure it by eating nice food and visiting various places in the city where you can relax. I feel like that's a much better way of doing a food economy than buff-foods, which I can't stand because then they just become mandatory and a fancy meal goes from something you have in a tavern to something you have 50 of in your backpack and quickly slam one back before a fight.

Tahru likes this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

+1 for this. Hunger-light

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A bit off topic but food effects are supposed to last a long time. Hours at least. Food shouldn't be something you have to scarf just before a fight or carry a lot of with you.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  13. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

sorry for the uber late response, I'm having to deal with an eye surgery, the big joke at the table now is that i lost an eye and got sent to the mines lol( gladiator joke), anyway,i personally find your automated limb idea interesting, makes me think of the clock work people on dr. who.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.