has there been discussion about clothing?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Rhiannon, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I did a search for this topic before posting but I can't find if it's been discussed:

• I am assuming that we will have plenty of clothing options: styles, colors, ability to craft
    • if the above is true, then what kind of storage will we have for our clothes?
    I love the ability to customize my Avatar's clothing. In UO, I have a dresser just for my clothing. When I go into town, I change into appropriate clothes instead of armor. Just seems right.

Am I the only one?

TigerKhan likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There has been some discussion.. RG had picked out I think at least 5 styles that we voted on which would be explored first. I forget where that thread is now. I thought it was in a public area. We haven't seen any concept of it yet though. No you're not the only one. ;)

3. Cloned

Cloned Avatar

4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

6. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I'd like to see much more in the way of clothing and such added as well. This might be a call out to people who are designing assets to come up with fantastic clothing ideas to submit. UO was quite limited as far as tailoring went. I'd love to see there be much more option in SotA, personally.

rild, nightshadow and Myrcella like this.
  7. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm hoping this will be possible.. but before this can happen we'll need access to the character models. I suspect these might only be available to Dev+ folks.. if at all.. and it may or may not be awhile before that happens. But I hope it does because once the community gets their hands on them I know there's a crowd of folks out there that'll just be itching to make new clothes and armors.

On the other hand it's also quite possible that we'll have to wait until launch before this will happen. Which brings up an interesting question regarding clothes and mod support. If games like Elder Scrolls tells us anything is that there's a substantial community of modders who love creating new content for their favorite games and some of those folks are not only quite talented but also quite thorough.

So the question is.. when they make something of high enough quality.. would Portalarium officially incorporate that content into the game? Or do something like run contests for content.

We have some talented content creators already in the community but a lot of us are still learning and there's only so much we can do. When the real modding community jumps in post-launch the potential for crowd sourcing content will skyrocket.

rild likes this.
  9. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Larawyn Skjaldmaer Avatar

I would like to put in support for having as many clothing options as possible. But also to ask/encourage that there be 'costume' levels as well. This is a feature offered in many of the other MMORPGs that is a wonderful support to role-play.

Our role-play comunity is pretty clothes crazy, and many of the private UO shards really drew players because of the addition of more clothing options.

Regards,
    Lara

10. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I agree Lara. I play Atlantic shard and actually have a wardrobe closet full of different colored skirts, dresses and fancy dresses for any occasion. I also love feathered hats (note reference to avatar <--------) and have about two dozen of them in many colors. When I "go to town", I always change into casual dress. Armor is kept for when I'm likely to be in danger. Makes for great role playing immersion.

Lara of Grimmwold and rild like this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think one of the big pluses we can look forward to over the course of 5 episodes all using the same engine.. is an influx of new clothes on (II hope) a somewhat regular basis.

Basically how I see this is all 5 episodes are being developed at the same time over the course of 5-7 years or so.. it's just being released to us in chapters but it's all one 'book' (metaphorically speaking). Once we have all 5 chapters we'd be able to go and play through all 5 in a single game. Well just imagine 5 games worth of clothes. :)

rild likes this.
  12. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Like I said, I'm really hoping that crowdsourcing helps with these things as well and that every so often between episodes, new content can come out for crafters. We've got some really high quality stuff being submitted right now but I'm unsure how much of it is in the area of clothing. Would be interesting to know if it could be designed much in the same way it's done in Second Life.

rild likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Submitting clothes right now I think would be saddly futile. We don't have the avatar models to play with yet (if we get them at all).. so there's nothing to base the clothes on.

14. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

A lot of times clothing is done off a base template, but I'm not sure if that's how this engine works.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The avatar models were custom made by Portalarium.. So any template would have to be made to fit those.. If they released some kind of template that might be handy.. otherwise we need those nekkie models to put clothes on.

16. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Larawyn Skjaldmaer Avatar

That would be worth asking on the Dev boards, if the models, even un-textured could be released? Mostly we just need the size and shape. Do we know if they are going to let the avatars increase in size?

Lara

17. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

No one has really said much about how much we will be able to customize the size or shape of our avatars.

18. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

It was acknowledged though that shape customization would mean a lot more work clothing and armor especially if layored.

19. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

The way games are made today polygon rather than sprits.. Wouldn't clothing skin and scale easily enough within reason?

20. stile

stile Avatar

My favorite clothing system in a MMO is LOTRO. The ability to have your avatar appear how you want regardless of what equipment they are wearing combined with a wardrobe for storage, and not having to carry your clothes around with you.

Some might find that a bit emersion breaking but for me its the opposite. I have 7 cosmetic looks for my main char depending on what im doing, which gives a RP feel of being dressed for the activity.

To be able to switch saved looks quickly and easily makes it so i actually DO change based on activity where as if i had to actually go change my cosmetics, i often wouldn't have the time or want to spend the time on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.