MMORPG: Release 26 - It's the Final Countdown

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

MMORPG has their latest article up about Release 26:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/935/feature/10523/Release-26-Its-the-Final-Countdown.html

The article briefly covers the final wipe, the offline poll, and changes to crafting and combat in this release. However here's this interesting comment but the writer doesn't expand upon:

- "Probably the most interesting part of my recent conversation with the folks behind Shroud of the Avatar, is the implementation of player-driven economy. The more I think about it, the more I think I disagree with some of the foundational components of how the guys are thinking about their economy."

Check it out and discuss below!

ricoxg, Ice Queen, Abydos and 3 others like this.
  2. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Re: offline access to all content poll.

I think it's a misconception that most people had something to lose if they'd allow everything to everyone. Actually, everyone but LOTMs had at least something to gain. Even a Duke can purchase a castle now.

3. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Well, as for the economy mention.. I bet he's hesitant about the reliance on 'regional economies', just because it' not something you see in MMOs.. When we see that each region has specific advantages in certain resource gathering over others, and other systems like regional weather all complimenting the regional economy idea, I think we'll see it's a strategy that will uniquely work in this game. But I am looking forward to that article.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm not sure where the writer is coming from though, and whether we agree or not. I always disagreed with over-emphasis on a player-driven economy, so that's where I am.

But it kind of bothers me when all discussions of things like travel time, control points, regional resources, weather, are reduced to economic issues, though -- ie "the regional economy" -- when I like these things too, but more because I think they're important from a gameplay perspective -- from a perspective of making the game fun. The goal should be to move away from the generic MMO model where most of what you're doing is grinding and farming runs, and occasionally socializing, and, sure, following the story where it exists. That just leads to mediocre gameplay that is easy and casual but nobody really finds fun. On the other hand, single player RPGs are much more engaging, because you're actually engaging in a large, interesting game world where choices matter. We need to put back the "RPG" into "MMORPG." The economy is part of it; but its not only about the economy -- its about creating an interesting game world.

Anyway, there's a lot of good changes in this release and a lot of nice new fun scenes. Aerie is really nice and full of small spaces where players can hang out. I hope to see a lot of player events there!

Kaisa, Aldo, Ice Queen and 6 others like this.
  5. smack

smack Avatar

Those poor LotMs...:rolleyes:

Maybe they should ask for I dunno...instead of island castles, they get...floating island castles?

Yeah, I wonder what he's going to discuss! It very well may be about regional economies, as this game is pushing hard for it and implementing unique gameplay elements that enforces it, to a degree.

On the surface, all those limitations will make the game less accessible, more limiting, more localized...presumably anyways if they pull it off. But you're right, how are they going to make the game fun given all those restrictive elements. It'll come down to the experiences within each region that "contains" you, and I firmly support your assertion that we need to put the RPG back in MMORPG. The elements that defines RPGs can facilitate that rewarding experience.

6. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

Is there any official information about the "final wipe"? When will we be able to make final lot claims? Thanks.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  7. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Miracle Dragon and Ice Queen like this.
  8. Hermann von Salza2

Hermann von Salza2 Avatar

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  9. Katrina Bekers

10. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

As far as regional economies go, I don't know how that's going to fly. As a new character you can get through any control point even by just dying and finding the ankh on the other side.... Just this wipe I've already walked to every part of the map at the starting level of 5. Unless they do something to limit the travel drastically, I can't see how anything is going to be regional.

11. Katrina Bekers

Depends on the MMO. :p

agra and Miracle Dragon like this.
  12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I'm a little hesitant about if they can pull it off, too, but if they can, I feel that they are going in the right direction. We shall see. They can't limit travel too much so people can complete story lines that send you all over Novia!

I also think that this requires a larger player base, but the decision to not shard off parallel worlds will surely help with that. Right now it's hard to see because so many NPC towns and a couple more of the intended control point areas still need to be added.

Being able to stay in the same region while doing stuff is important for people to want to "settle" in a region. Yesterday I found myself fighting stuff in Highvale, then going to Jaanaford to sell loot to NPCs and use the trainers. In R23-R25, I learned what was near PaxLair where I could get resources without having to trudge through a scene to get to another region.

13. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

First thing that came to mind :D

ricoxg and Elwyn like this.
  14. ricoxg

ricoxg Avatar

@HoustonDragon - Nailed it! Which, then made me think of the commercial: If you're the band Europe, you count down. It' just what you do.

Article is in, but no word when it'll be published. =)

The GIST is that I asked about crafters being self-reliant in a conversation while I was visiting in Austin. Chris diagrammed their economy (and of course, I had to poke fun of his artistic abilities), and we talked a bit about inputs and outputs in the SotA system. Yeah, that's what happens when nerds get together in a room. lol

Anyway, it got me to thinking about how to measure a good economy, and what makes the player driven economy such an important part of what I like in a game. The thought exercise gave me what I think is a cool idea for looking at in-game economies, and an article was born.

It may not be out this week with all the PAX coverage, but maybe next week. Hope you all like it!

15. ricoxg

ricoxg Avatar

16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Miracle Dragon, ricoxg and 4EverLost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.